View Full Version : Olney Farms Horse Trials?

Jun. 27, 2010, 06:43 PM
Interested in your thoughts on this as a first attempt at Training. I have heard positive thoughts from a few friends I have asked, just interesed in what other think as well. Thanks!

Jun. 27, 2010, 07:16 PM
Nice people that run that event and it isn't a bad event but not where I would choose to move up to trainning.

I guess it depends on what sort of course that you like. I would do Fair Hill the following weekend instead.

Jun. 27, 2010, 07:41 PM
It was supposed to be my first recognized T last year, but my horse colicked just before we left. The sj is a bit challenging especially if the ground is bad, and if you have dressage in the indoor the footing is terrible. (True at all levels, though!) I think the xc looked pretty nice last year, not quite as technical as Fair Hill or Waredaca but also not quite as tidy. There was one field with three fences in a row--kind of a bending line which seemed a bit odd. Pretty good drop into the water, ditch in kind of a trappy spot, can't remember but I think they went up the bank. The fences were a mix of newer portables and older stuff in the fencelines. It's a little oldfashioned, I guess, except for the newish water it seems like it hasn't changed much in 20+ years.

Jun. 27, 2010, 11:45 PM
I follow a policy of moving up only over courses I've already ridden at the next lower level. Just the way I do it. I agree with BFNE. Fair Hill a better choice.

Jun. 28, 2010, 01:30 AM
Me, I'd go to Olney Alex. Why? Because you can go to FH a dozen times a year. The same ground gets galloped over all year and is harder and the horses learn the course and go through it willingly after a couple outs. But our sport shouldn't be based on where we know, but rather where is the challenge this week.

Olney is run by great, been there done that LONGTIME eventers. And sure some of their fences aren't pristine by the current standards, but I for one believe that you have a better horse after it has to figure an unknown out, and fast.

If I could harp for a moment on how we used to do it, Fair Hill only had 3 events a year. The spring opener in April, the slightly more challenging late May for those not doing a spring 3 day. And then the September challenging at all levels 3 day prep. So what I am saying is that back a decade or so, you wouldn't have FH as a choice for this T move up in summer. So why not spread your wings and try some of the nice "less crowded" area 2 venues. And hey at the same time support a family that has given back to the eventing community for a very long time.

Jun. 28, 2010, 09:00 AM
I'll say why I said Fair Hill (or MD HT II) over Olney. I found the xc at Olney to be very inconsistent. Hard and easy...it is more of a twisty course and because you are running through turnout fields, the footing can be bad in spots (very slick). The few times I've been there...the ground has been rock rock hard (although that will also likely be true at Fair Hill ). That may have just been my luck..but it has happened enough that even though the event is close, I only go for novice and below. It is a good event for a first recognized for nervous riders....very low key...and a very good event for kids.

I do like the people that run the event and it is nice to give them support. I just prefer the flow of the xc course else where as a move up to training.

Jun. 28, 2010, 09:49 AM
Or Waredaca the week after Fair Hill. I agree with every one of BFNE's comments, pro and con, about Olney. PS, I did my first T there, and have no regrets about having done so. But, due to land constraints beyond the owners' / organizers' control, it is not the most flowing course.

Jul. 3, 2010, 11:22 AM
OF will have a new x-c course designer for this year who needs to get her certification. So expect a slightly different track this year utilizing the back fields, we also have several of mcta's portable xc jumps taking up residence out in the fields. So i think it will be improved.

The charlie walker jumps will be used for the show jumping.

No new footing in the indoor even though we were told it would be coming this winter :(

I think our cross country is more forgiving than fhi, but i think the show jumping is less forgiving.