PDA

View Full Version : how to get pigeons out of the indoor ring

pooh
Jun. 27, 2010, 04:48 PM
Any idea??? Apparently they came last year looking for their summer last year. Now they are here to say. We do have plastic owl that we move around, but they seem unimpressed. Trying to find some way to get rid of them without poison as we don't want the cats getting hold of the dead birds.

atlatl
Jun. 27, 2010, 05:19 PM
Bird spikes on any and all surfaces where they can sit. The eaves especially.

I'm always amazed at the outdoor CostCo food court when there are very few pigeons, then I saw the bird spikes everywhere.

Alagirl
Jun. 27, 2010, 06:49 PM
knock down all nests, cover all nesting possibilities, use the spikes, too.

MistyBlue
Jun. 27, 2010, 08:05 PM
I had a lot of fun recently relocating some pain in the butt sparrows out of my barn.
Not all of them because there were still 2 nests in the eaves that have little ones in them and didn't want to run the moms out and leave them to starve. But got rid of the rest that were living in there and had grown babies and the males.
Borrowed my nephew's little toy remote control helicopter and chased them out repeatedly. FUN toys...they cost $30! :yes: :D
The ones I've chased out haven't come back so far (couple weeks now I think) and as soon as the last sets of babies start flying the rest are getting the same treatment!

pooh
Jun. 27, 2010, 10:01 PM
I 've thought about getting one of the higher powered water guns to squirt them.
The BO has been pulling down nests just about every day. They had the spikes that had some type of repellant in them that worked for years, but they haven't been able to find them since they took over the barn.
They are driving me crazy since they seem to love to dive bomb horses and scare the crao out of them!! At least the swallows, etc just fly in and out - that we can deal with.

AppJumpr08
Jun. 27, 2010, 11:22 PM
Encourage a hawk to move in :)

Does wonders for removing the unwanted bird population :yes:

Alagirl
Jun. 28, 2010, 03:33 AM
I had a lot of fun recently relocating some pain in the butt sparrows out of my barn.
Not all of them because there were still 2 nests in the eaves that have little ones in them and didn't want to run the moms out and leave them to starve. But got rid of the rest that were living in there and had grown babies and the males.
Borrowed my nephew's little toy remote control helicopter and chased them out repeatedly. FUN toys...they cost $30! :yes: :D
The ones I've chased out haven't come back so far (couple weeks now I think) and as soon as the last sets of babies start flying the rest are getting the same treatment!

LOL, I figured you had multicolored sparrows by now....covered in every color known to paintballers...:lol:

MistyBlue
Jun. 28, 2010, 07:46 AM
:lol: Nah, paintballs on small birds cause paint splatters and bird splatters.
I might hate those nasty sparrows, but I'm trying to move them on without killing them if possible.

Plus the little helicopter toy is a hella lotta fun. Even more fun than when I use the leafblower to move birds out of the barn! :yes: :D :yes:

I have found out that I'm not the world's greatest pilot though. Sad considering this is a child's toy, it isn't that hard to operate. Supposedly.

Alagirl
Jun. 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
LOL, they are not that easy to navigate, but it's true, a heck of a lot of fun!

CatOnLap
Jun. 28, 2010, 01:25 PM
I crashed mine into smithereens on the first go :(

EiRide
Jun. 28, 2010, 02:17 PM
We used to invite the local raptor fanciers to bring their various birding hawks and hunt them in the indoor and around the corn cribs. The hawk fanciers were thrilled to have good hunting, the hawks were happy to take out the pigeons and starlings, and we were excited to watch the hunting and enjoy the reduced population of birdies.

JetsBuddy
Jun. 28, 2010, 04:28 PM
Encourage a hawk to move in :)

Does wonders for removing the unwanted bird population :yes:

A barn I boarded at years ago had an indoor with big sliding doors that used to stay open during the day and we rolled them closed at night. We had a falcon get in the barn one day and couldn't figure out how to get out. The doors got closed as usual and the next morning there were piles of feathers on the ground and one full falcon. The falcon figured out how to get out that day.

Alagirl
Jun. 28, 2010, 04:40 PM
A barn I boarded at years ago had an indoor with big sliding doors that used to stay open during the day and we rolled them closed at night. We had a falcon get in the barn one day and couldn't figure out how to get out. The doors got closed as usual and the next morning there were piles of feathers on the ground and one full falcon. The falcon figured out how to get out that day.

Did he lounge on a hay bale, with a big BURP? :lol:

smokygirl
Oct. 22, 2011, 01:51 AM
:lol: Nah, paintballs on small birds cause paint splatters and bird splatters.
I might hate those nasty sparrows, but I'm trying to move them on without killing them if possible.

Plus the little helicopter toy is a hella lotta fun. Even more fun than when I use the leafblower to move birds out of the barn! :yes: :D :yes:

I have found out that I'm not the world's greatest pilot though. Sad considering this is a child's toy, it isn't that hard to operate. Supposedly.

They are kinda like Child-proof caps.. you need a 5 yo and you can get it done lol

VCT
Oct. 22, 2011, 12:21 PM
I just had to dispatch about 14 of them from my indoor... I got an air rifle and pellets.

MeghanDACVA
Oct. 23, 2011, 12:02 AM
Ah, pigeons and arenas.
Yes, raptors help. But attracting them is easier said than done. And getting them into the arena is a whole 'nother issue. We have a family of MS Kites, and still have pigeons. :-(
We have done the "pull the nests down regularily" too. I hated it when there were babies in the nests. Eggs don't bother me but killing the little ugly prehistoric babies is tough.
Cats can't get up high enough to get the birds.
Airgun/BB guns are tough. Pigeons feathers are great insulation!! We would go out at night and close the arena and then try to shoot them down with the BB gun. Never killed one with it but knocked many down enough to get our hands on them and kill them. (No, I couldn't do that either. DH did the shooting and the neck wringing. I did the catching once they were on the ground).
We tried moth balls. Sort of helped.
Haven't tried the spike or other stuff due to it being so hard to get up to the legdes where they are. :-(

I have to admit that my horses got very "pigeon broke". The spook ME more than they do the horses anymore. I have a friend who brings her young horses over at times and commented that when we were having a bad pigeon spell about how broke her young horses got after dealign with the pigeons.

Alagirl
Oct. 23, 2011, 02:19 AM
probably worth the rent on a cherry picker for a day to get to all the high up places (I would have to rent a person to go up in it, too....)

skykingismybaby1
Oct. 23, 2011, 11:57 AM
The BM at my barn contacted the local wildlife rescue who were happy to release raptors at the facility. It helps that the barn is owned by the County and has 300 acres and large lakes nearby. The relocated raptors took care of the problem pronto. We also have a hunting (not nesting) bald eagle. One look at him and the geese relocated themselves as well!!

rmh_rider
Oct. 23, 2011, 06:41 PM
1. dog, or
2. gun

We NEVER allow pigeons to come on our property. They are met with #1. or # 2. and usually #2.

NASTY.

You have to get rid of them or they will imprint on your property. Then you have to use #2.

baylady7
Oct. 24, 2011, 01:31 PM
they were at my old barn and made a mess; the dung mixed with the arena footing, so was in the dust (yuck). I would go after them (on my trusty horse) with a long longe whip, then in the end a buddy who is an Army Special Forces guy came over with his pellet gun and expertly dispatched them.

VCT
Oct. 24, 2011, 01:56 PM
I got an el cheapo pellet/bb air rifle at walmart. $50 with scope. Pumping it 15ish times resulted in accurate trajectory and dead pigeons.

Riding is fundamental
Oct. 24, 2011, 05:01 PM
Funny story (now since nobody got hurt)- I was riding a green pony in the outdoor ring at a friends. My husband and her husband thought that was a good time to get rid of the pigeons in the hay barn next to the ring using bb guns. The barn had a metal roof- ping, hop, ping, hop, ping, hop- HONEY!!

The eagle sounds pretty cool!

candyappy
Oct. 24, 2011, 05:12 PM
Any idea??? Apparently they came last year looking for their summer last year. Now they are here to say. We do have plastic owl that we move around, but they seem unimpressed. Trying to find some way to get rid of them without poison as we don't want the cats getting hold of the dead birds.

2 teenage sons and their trusty rifles. Works every time.

charismaryllis
Oct. 25, 2011, 04:16 PM
hmm. what about something like this?

http://www.birdbgone.com/products/bird-sound-deterrents/?gclid=CMy-_PjDhKwCFZFV7AodWQ_KOg

i was reminded of these when i just took a turn around the world bank bldg here in DC. it's covered in thin metal strips on the Penna ave side; you'd think it would be covered in pigeons and starlings. but there are loudspeakers on the bldg that periodically play a loop of what sounds like a mix of distress calls and raptor cries.

the thing linked above is kind of pricey, but maybe you can get the recordings.... ten seconds of research gets me this: http://www.naturesongs.com/falcstri.html#LFALC and put a cheap player out there and turn it on periodically and see if the pigeons even notice. :)

victoria stiles
Oct. 27, 2011, 09:22 AM
If you're considering poisons, traps, or other lethal measures to kill the pigeons, you should first check with you local authorities to see what control methods are legal and how to implement them safely.

LauraKY
Oct. 27, 2011, 10:32 AM
She's baaacckk. Reported to mods.

TemJeito
Oct. 27, 2011, 10:56 AM
She's baaacckk. Reported to mods.

Huh :confused: ? I opened this thread because we have pigeons in our indoor and I'm terrified of birds :uhoh: I didn't read anything offensive :confused:

Derby Lyn Farms
Oct. 27, 2011, 11:00 AM
I say make their owners come and get them! lol that is what I had to do. The neighbor had those racing pigeons. He would let them out and they would fly around his house. One day a pair moved in and had babies. I told him they were there but at first he did nothing. Finally I told the neighbor that if he didn't grab the birds that I was sticking my cat up there. So he came over, climbed up the kick wall, and grabbed his birds along with their 2 babies. They were such a pain. They would be quiet until you rode by on a horse and the horses would always jump.

millerra
Oct. 27, 2011, 12:52 PM
Shotgun.

1 person +/- dogs chases them out of the indoor

2nd person waits out side and shoots.

[can create an enormous cloud of feathers, though - just like in a cartoon - POOF!]

LauraKY
Oct. 27, 2011, 01:24 PM
If you look at Victoria Stiles posting history, you'll see what I'm talking about. She/he/it has been dredging up old posts for some reason, then has other greenies posting. Not sure what they're up to, but there's something besides normal posting going on. Unfortunately, for them, I have a great memory.

Be careful if you're clicking on any links.

Moderator 1
Oct. 28, 2011, 12:34 PM
Wow...good catch Laura! Miss Victoria was indeed a very stealthy spammer, apparently working in concert with another (now deleted) user from the same Punjabi IP address.

That's not to say her recommendations won't work for you! ;)