PDA

View Full Version : Is stamped concrete to slick for a barn isle?

mpsbarnmanager
Jun. 27, 2010, 03:39 PM
I am building a new barn and my concrete guy said he will stamp the isle at cost if I want it done. I would LOVE to do it, they look so cool, but would the horses slip on it? Anyone have stamped isles? I have a leafblower that I clean the isle with when the horses are outside. Thanks!

sk_pacer
Jun. 27, 2010, 07:24 PM
Stamped aisles may look cool but the only stamped aisle I recall was slicker than the aisles at many racetracks. The whole pad here is lightly brushed or was but after 60+ years it has kinda worn down but still has some small ridges

goodhors
Jun. 27, 2010, 08:23 PM
The ones I know are slick! Add in some humidity on warm days and it is like they are WAXED! I know of one injury, horse did the splits, was barefooted. He was a visitor, the owner keeps her horses shod with road studs and they have pretty good grip,

Same with the other stamped aisle barn I know. Slippery under MY BOOTS or shoes. Owner keeps all her horses shod with road studs, so they don't have problems.

Both of these barn owners ended up buying the $600+ special vacuum to keep the aisles clean. No amount of sweeping would get all the cracks clean. Too much dust raised with a leaf blower, plus the noise. Unacceptable for either owner on a daily basis.

One pattern is brick shape stamping, and the other is like fitted stones. Really pretty, and these are working show barns, but that floor is awful. I would not have it or if I did I would pay to remove it!!

We used very stiff bristled push broom, when we poured the center aisle cement. Pushed the broom across the width of aisle, 12ft, making it quite rough finished. Has been a good grippy surface for many years under bare or shod hooves. Sweeps pretty clean with the stiff broom.

walktrot
Jun. 28, 2010, 01:33 PM
Where I board we have an aisleway that is about 16' wide and 200' long. The b/o had it poured in 2 sessions. It was textured with a broom, and we have never had any problems with slipping. There are rubber mats down the center for about 125'.

kookicat
Jun. 28, 2010, 01:41 PM
Yep, it's usually pretty slick. I'd go with something else.

Frank B
Jun. 28, 2010, 04:59 PM
We have stamped concrete on our patio and it is very smooth. OK for human sneakers and shoes as long as the temps are above freezing, but definitely not for hooves in any temperature.

Much better is what's called a "broomed" finish. The jet from a nozzle will clean it off. Make sure the surface is properly sloped for drainage and they install an industrial grade steel strainer rated for heavy traffic at the drain. "Pot" metal will shatter under the concentrated weight of hooves. A 6" drain pipe is well worth the extra $$$.

bludejavu
Jun. 28, 2010, 08:10 PM
Our concrete hallway is in broom finish and I've not had any horses slip in the 15 years we've been here. I would be a little leery of stamping since there might still be a bit of slick surface.

Plumcreek
Jun. 28, 2010, 08:24 PM
I have wanted to try stamping a random rock or brick pattern into the outer 24", then the 5' X 7' mats or broom tex concrete down the center and a path to each stall door and groom/wash area.

Someone want to do this and take photos?

CBoylen
Jun. 28, 2010, 08:32 PM
Like ice. It's also a bitch to sweep.

trina1
Jun. 28, 2010, 08:40 PM
Our stamped concrete driveway looks great but the horses can't walk on it with shoes. Sometimes I can't either if it has rained.

carolprudm
Jun. 28, 2010, 09:46 PM
The soles of my shoes were wet, I stepped into our concrete floored garage, slipped, broke 3 bones in my ankle and spent 11 weeks NWB.