PDA

View Full Version : Camping advice?

sunnycher
Jun. 27, 2010, 09:18 AM
Hi all, we are heading out to a clinic and derby this coming weekend, with Allison Springer!!! So excited, but hubby isn't coming like he usually does, and I'll have my 9 y.o grand-daughter with me. She isn't riding, except hopping on for fun.

What do you guys plan for food, snacks. BBQ? easy and kid friendly?

Any and all ideas very welcome. Thanks...

retreadeventer
Jun. 27, 2010, 11:04 AM
Come on guys help her out!
I would say bring some entertaining stuff for her because you will want to be watching other groups after and before your group -- that is a big part of a clinic, not just the riding for yourself. So she may be quite bored while you sit and watch if she is not into eventing. Have fun, you will love Allison!

Firefox
Jun. 27, 2010, 11:08 AM
Have easy to grill stuff hamburgers and hotdogs, PB&J sandwiches, lots of drinks in coolers, normal camping stuff. nine yr olds are tough, hopefully she will like to watch waht is going on and is just horse crazy enough to do so. Have Fun

IFG
Jun. 27, 2010, 09:55 PM
Well, I camped all the time when I evented (on hiatus right now), but usually, I brought snack food--yoghurts, fig newtons, grapes, granola bars, lots of gatorade, then went out to dinner). It was too much to coordinate competing, camping, and food.

Have fun. Bring lots of games for your granddaughter.

KaBoom!
Jun. 27, 2010, 10:47 PM
As a mother to an 11 and 7 year old food doesn't matter too much. what matters more is entertainment. Bring a video recorder and camera that she can use to tape you and the events happening. In my experience the video is bouncy but you can see one or two good things about your ride and it will give her something to do. Also bring a bike if she rides one to get around on, a book to read and if she does help cook at home ask her what she would like to bring to cook as she is responsible for two meals just let grannie know what ingredients need to be purchaced before hand. (my kids really like this)

Hope this helps and have fun. They grow up fast.