PDA

View Full Version : Jumper show = fun times!

eponacowgirl
Jun. 27, 2010, 12:48 AM
I took three horses to a local jumper show today- put on by a barn that runs schooling hunter shows about 4 times through the summer- this was their first jumper show. What a GREAT time we had!

I decided last minute to bring one of my client horses- I've done everything with her, the girl who owns her is in college, so she's basically in full training with me 9 months of the year and regular lessons the other three. I haven't been on her in a couple of weeks since her owner is home, but she's fit and I had an empty slot- who can say no to that?! She and I had a GREAT time. She's so game and I used my second jump off to skim as many corners and sneak through tiny spaces and jump things on an angle that I possibly could. She just sighs and picks her knees up. She was a total heifer for months when we got her but has recently decided to behave herself. (She's the one who flipped on me, in fact...) I love to ride her because she will BAIL me out of anything- so when I have something I'm having a hard time with on one of my other horses, she'll let my mistakes slide a little- makes it perfect for her owner when she jumps! She ended up fourth in the first class and third in the second.

My one-eyed-guy was awesome, too. He didn't look at anything, had a rail down in the first class- my fault- I was riding like a short-stirrup kid- sit and flap my legs :lol:. The second go-round, my trainer said "you need to insist he be rideable." We did a few more warmup fences and I said "Oh- you mean I have to put my leg on?!" and we went out and rode the CRAP out of that course. I actually had something to push him up into- had the energy and balance! So fun! We got 4th in the class- but the best part is that I can't ever remember having so much fun jumping my horse!

I also took a friend of mine's horse- a big TB. He stops with her and bolts sometimes between fences- she just wanted him to have a good day. He was lovely as well, a positive and educational two classes for him- and one sixth place ribbon!

And let me put it on the record- that for as much as I will snark at and about hunters (and I rode them for 18 years, so I feel like I'm allowed)- Middle TN has some of the NICEST, most WELCOMING, encouraging hunter folks I've ever met. Everyone cooed over my game little ponies and I just had a great time all day long!

Gryhrs
Jun. 27, 2010, 10:03 AM
Great to hear!! I am going to my first little jumper show in 2 weeks. I felt like a moron just filling out the entry. No clue what the different classes mean nor how to actually complete the form. The show secretary will need to get battle pay all thanks to me. I have no clue what to wear....but do know I WON'T HAVE TO BRAID! Yippee. I am very excited about it. I need the practice and felt this would be a great way to get some miles in my weakest phase (well, actually one of the three :)

sunnycher
Jun. 27, 2010, 10:05 AM
How fun for you! It's great when it all goes according to plan, and even better than planned. I love that everyone was welcoming and nice. It's the same here, alot of eventers cross over to h/j schooling shows for fun and experience, it is great to have a wonderful horsey community, across the disciplines.

eponacowgirl
Jun. 27, 2010, 10:10 AM
Oh, entries... let me tell you about the power and speed craziness. I had to have about 12 people explain to me the first class- you jump jumps 1-9, then if you go clean, you proceed to jumps 10-15. Wait, what? I was so confused!

The second was easier- just course and jump off... but I had to remember BOTH courses?! Blasphemy! I managed to get ALL jumps in the right order though, so thats always good!

My groom's mom was there, she got some pictures, so hopefully I can share with you guys soon!

Oh, and the dress code for the day seemed to be polo shirts and breeches! :)

retreadeventer
Jun. 27, 2010, 11:01 AM
Oh how fun!

Firefox
Jun. 27, 2010, 11:11 AM
Love those kind of days!!

Gryhrs
Jun. 27, 2010, 12:10 PM
OMG. I can barely remember a course of 9 or 10 fences...to layer a jump off on top of the memory bank will be next to impossible. Hopefully I will have helpful friends with drama training who can PROJECT from the sidelines :)

I spent a very productive afternoon trying to find the definitions for Hopeful jumper....child/adult....pre-intermediate.....green ...pre green....WTH?! I didn't even see power and speed! Really made me appreciate that the USEA has a FABULOUS website that is easy to navigate re: rules....