PDA

View Full Version : Trail-et BP

Gryhnd
Jun. 26, 2010, 08:57 PM
So...wasn't even looking for a trailer, was looking for a mower on Craigslist and spied a 1997 Trail-et Baron. Have looked for used 2H BPs in the past and never found what we would consider a good trailer with just the basics (no DR) under 5k.

The only reason we "need" a trailer right now is for any potential emergency. We moved to different state few years ago and have no horse contacts here (horses at home - in the past we boarded). The local vets are not all that willing to come for a farm visit at times, I have found one equine clinic but it's about an hour away.

So...for peace of mind (having to evacuate or needing to take horse to a vet), we'd feel better owning a trailer. Realize we will need to work on trailer-loading with both of them (one has been trained but is stubborn, other has not had any training) and make sure we use it occasionally so it doesn't just sit.

I've read some threads about how "older" Trail-ets were made well, but newer were not (and understand they went out of business this year).

Is '97 considered older/better quality?

Sparky Boy
Jun. 26, 2010, 09:45 PM
YES. I sold my 95' baron last summer. It held up really well. It was in great shape when I sold it.

Mali
Jun. 27, 2010, 11:52 AM
If it's in your price range, and decent condition - go for it. I purchased a used '94 Trail-Et New Yorker 5 years ago, and even though the previous owners didn't take great care of it (never swept out old hay, didn't grease hinges, etc) I've been able to give it the TLC it needed and now it's a great trailer. My trainer actually has a '95 Trail-Et New Yorker that she's had since new. She's never had to do any serious repairs to it, just your standard clean & grease regularly.

Gryhnd
Jun. 27, 2010, 07:40 PM
Well, we bought it! Seems to be really nice shape.

The dealer that sold it to us said that he was also surprised at what good shape it was in - very light use (he got it from another dealer who sells new Hawks and took it on a trade-in but doesn't like to keep any used trailers at his place, so he has this guy resell them.)

His wife said they are always having people ask them to call them when they get a 2H BP in, so we just got extremely lucky that I happened across it when he just got it in (considering we were not even looking for one at this time).

Now we need a proper towing vehicle (next on the list...). Have to start researching pick-ups :)