PDA

View Full Version : What to expect at Entry level clinic?

Tuesday's Child
Jun. 26, 2010, 04:37 PM
Hi all, I am crossing over from Hunterland (I know you eventers always claim to be the Dark Side, so would we be the Pink Sparkly Side??) I have just signed up to do an eventing clinic on the 4th with a friend, just dressage and stadium portions though since my mare is a wimp, and we've never really done any XC :)

I am wondering what to expect and what I should brush up on skills-wise before I go. I have signed up at entry level since it was the lowest. There is very little information on the clinic website, so I thought I'd come here for some general information. Thanks!

asterix
Jun. 26, 2010, 05:00 PM
Who is the clinician?
You may want to call the organizer and ask what they mean by "entry level" --
for example, at an entry level unrecognized event (since the recognized events start a bit higher than that), you might have walk/trot dressage tests and very tiny show jumping (18")...

and if you've been riding/competing as a hunter, you might actually find this pretty nonuseful.

The dressage at the lowest levels is not complicated at all, although it certainly helps to have someone show you how to work towards a more dressage-oriented presentation of your horse.
The stadium is more colorful and less flowing than hunters.

It's the cross country that is REALLY different -- for that, you would probably want a true entry level clinic so you could get your feet wet with the basics of riding on terrain and jumping solid obstacles.

So you might actually want to shoot for a different level, but it would be helpful to ask the organizer who "entry level" is intended for....

Tuesday's Child
Jun. 27, 2010, 10:23 AM
We actually aren't very experienced, my mare is still fairly green. The coach I'm working with now has both a hunter and dressage background, so I'm hoping I should be ok. It doesn't actually specifiy clinicians, just says "top Canadian coaches from all dsiciplines". Last year they had Jo Young, Peter Gray, Diana Burnett, Jessica Phoenix, MH Lessard, Nicole Parkin, Stephanie St Pierre, Edie Tarves and Michelle Mueller. The proceeds from the clinic go towards a fund for injured riders, so I thought it sounded like a good cause! Thank you for your insight, I think we are probably well-placed at Entry :)

asterix
Jun. 27, 2010, 10:34 AM
Well, have fun then!
If you have good clinicians you will learn a ton in both dressage and sj, and you can be comfortable going in knowing they won't expect you to be experienced in eventing.
If you were, however, currently competing in the hunters over 3'6"' for example, I'd think you might be happier in another group, since there is no xc....

Tuesday's Child
Jul. 3, 2010, 12:27 PM
So I am going to do the XC portion of the clinic now too... very excited, but I had one more question. I don't have (or have access to) boots like what I see eventers using. Would we be ok for this one day in open fronts and ankle boots a la jumpers, or would I be as well off going bare legged? I doubt we are doing anything too funky as we will be in a group of beginners (my one friend is a barrel racer and is doing this for some cross-training fun). Thanks again for your thoughts, I am very excited for tomorrow!

Highflyer
Jul. 3, 2010, 01:01 PM
As long as your boots are secure and won't slide down if they get wet, they will be okay. If you have any doubts I would go without--or at least lean over and check them religiously whenever you get a break. Or do what I do when I first use new boots on xc schools--ask the other riders in your group to keep an eye out for you :) I start most everybody barelegged unless they are prone to interference, though.

Tuesday's Child
Jul. 3, 2010, 06:49 PM
Perfect. I'll bring the boots just in case, but probably go bare. I just wasn't sure if that was a big no-no. Thanks!

Ibex
Jul. 3, 2010, 08:22 PM
Nothing to add, but HAVE FUN!

To the US Posters: Entry level is about the same as BN in the US :)

Bobthehorse
Jul. 3, 2010, 09:08 PM
I was just going to say that Ibex.

It will probably be pretty relaxed at this level and focusing on introducing horses and riders to eventing. I dont think they expect much beyond what you would have done in the hunters.

Janet
Jul. 3, 2010, 09:26 PM
The only thing I would add is NOT to wear a standing martingale.

Bobthehorse
Jul. 4, 2010, 11:47 AM
Oh good point, yes.

And throw on a running if you want, just in case. It makes a nice grab strap too.

Tuesday's Child
Jul. 6, 2010, 06:50 PM
OH. MY. GOD.

I had SOOOOOOO much fun!! The dressage clinic was great, and so was stadium (although I fell off... lol). I was getting a bit heat stroke-y and tired so I was going to bail on XC (also a little nervous) but I got peer pressured into going out, and I'm SO glad I did! I had such a blast :D I was going to put on a running but didn't bother since I wasn't planning on doing much. My friend let me borrow her waterford bit though, which actually worked really well for a bit of additional brakes.

We started over a couple little logs, then moved to a bigger solid wooden thing that at the start of the day, I had laughed at the thought of going over anything that big! And my mare jumped it great! Then we did a tire jump which she didn't like but we finally got over it a couple times after getting a lead from a more experienced horse. Then we schooled over a ditch, then ditch with a jump after (half coffin?? I don't remember!). Went up and down a low bank then a steep one, then we went to the water complex. My friends and their horses went in no problem and LOVED it, but I stood on the very edge with Grace for about 10 minutes, kicking like crazy and she refused to go in (she hates water!) Even the clinician got on and after another 10 minutes he FINALLY got her in and walked her through a few times. Then I got back on and did the same, which was so amazing because it was such a big step for her! We learned so much, and I gained so much confidence - it was an incredible clinic. So I am totally hooked now! What a blast :D

Here are some pics (they are on my friend's facebook, so hopefully they work!):
http://tinyurl.com/29o3dy8
http://tinyurl.com/2b86h6a
http://tinyurl.com/2udssov (terrible eq I know...)
http://tinyurl.com/342qv2o

allpurpose
Jul. 6, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hooray for you! Welcome to the dark side...there's no going back now, ya know! Glad you had a great experience and had fun!

asterix
Jul. 6, 2010, 08:03 PM
Congrats!!!
Yep, you are hooked now. The dark side, here you come!

subk
Jul. 6, 2010, 11:01 PM
OH. MY. GOD.
Heh, heh.

Carol Ames
Jul. 6, 2010, 11:16 PM
couldn't see the pics, but, it sounds like you had a wonderful time1 now, for the next step; When do you do your first event?

Bobthehorse
Jul. 7, 2010, 10:51 AM
So it was Ride for Riders?

If you want to go to another clinic, David Wilding-Davies is having a series o them this summer in Thornbury, Im going saturday but there are at least two more until September. I'll let you know how it is, you have all the benefits of someone with his experience, but he has his girls learning to event so he is in protective dad mode and my coach assures me he is not the type to overface.

Tuesday's Child
Jul. 7, 2010, 05:00 PM
Yes, it was Ride for Riders. Apparently last year they had 60, but this year there were only 6 of us! Which sucks for them, but was a great experience for us. I just had to Google Thornbury - it looks a bit far (we are in Uxbridge) but let me know how the clinic is anyway, it sounds like it would be good. One of the friends I went with is trying to organize another XC schooling with Arthur Tateishi, our clinician from Sunday.

Sorry the pictures aren't working - they're on my friend's facebook so there's not a lot I can do about it! As for my first event... lol I don't know about that! I think I will try and get around a few more hunter shows first but I am sorely tempted to try an event! Do any of you Ontarioans (?) know of a good, very small, low-level, extra-baby-novice event in the next few months?

Bobthehorse
Jul. 7, 2010, 05:35 PM
Woodwinds in Horseshoe Valley has Pre-Entry, and the xc is very tiny and unintimidating. The stadium is definitely more challenging for the level than the xc, but coming from the hunter world you might not mind that. They have another event in August, and one in October.