PDA

View Full Version : spreading new sand in outdoor

jmp568
Jun. 26, 2010, 12:49 PM
Hi, I'm redoing my outdoor ring . Base, sub base are excellent just the footing has worn, blown, just plain gone away. This was so not in the budget this year but its not rideable and I don't want to ruin by good base. So I'm adding 2" of new sand to it. I really can't afford to hire someone to come in and spread it. I have a skidsteer and don't mind doing it myself. Anyone have any ideas or tricks to keep the footing depth equal ? Someone once told me they used a board that was 2" and dropped buckets of sand and then raked it to the board. Anyone ever try this ? Sounds really labor intensive but... I 'm going to have to get it done. Any ideas would be welcome
Thanks in advance
Maura

kaluha2
Jun. 28, 2010, 12:59 AM
A friend had the local golf course guys come out and they shot a line using their equipment so that the person spreading the sand would know where the lines were. I have never heard of using the board but don't see why that wouldn't work just as well.

Tom King
Jun. 28, 2010, 08:42 AM
When I spread the footing in our arena, I made two "skiis" out of heavy angle iron and tack welded them on the sides of the box blade leaving the gap we wanted for the finished thickness under the blade. Using it like a paver, another tractor with loader kept the blade full. When we finished with that step, we were left with grooves where the "skiis" went. Those were filled by a couple of guys with shovels out of a loader bucket.

No one is good enough to spread it all over the whole areana evenly with just a tractor or skidsteer. Even if you use a machine that follows a laserline, what's underneath needs to be equally as level to start with.

jmp568
Jun. 28, 2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I was starting to think I'd never get a reply. Tom I wish I was capable of making the skiis, good idea ! but thats out of my realm. I don't get much if any help from Hubby so I just find a way to do it myself. I know two skirts won't get it totally perfect, but looks like the labor intensive way is where I'm going. I really didn't plan to have to do this and $$ is tight. I'm pretty good on the skidsteer, really good on a rake. Can find a board the right depth and just do it ! I'm sure it will take us quite a few days, alot of Advil and Wine at days end. Any other ideas welcome.
Going to quarry tomorrow see when they can deliver. I've been putting it off but have 2 FEI horses coming July 8th with a judge friend of mine for the summer. Need outdoor up and running. I'm so grateful to have her even if its only for 4 months. In this economy and my really bad horse area any income is better than none. But as we all know you have to have the facility to be able to train.
Thank you both,
Maura

jmp568
Jun. 28, 2010, 05:59 PM
Oh and Tom, yes you are so correct. I did have a low spot , just one amazingly in my base I filled it rolled it and let Mother Nature rain and bake it for a month. We had major T storms few days ago , sideways rain, it didn't hold water. I think I've got it right. My ring drains really well overall but it would hang out in tis spot for a few hours. It was gone as quick as the rest

Tom King
Jun. 28, 2010, 07:31 PM
Maybe you could set the gauge boards and use the skidsteer to push the screed board. The gauges are going to be pushed out some as the sand fills in between them, but with the right coordination of placing sand in front of the screed with the loader and pushing, it could work. Maybe use a 4x6 laid flat for the screed and I wouldn't try over 10' wide to start with. Even if you can do this with the Bobcat, it will still be worth hiring a laborer to keep sand pulled out all the way across the screed as you push it. Someone who has experience pouring concrete would be the ideal helper, as what I'm talking about is the same sort of process.

For the "skiis", I used something like 4x6 angle iron (been so long ago I dont' remember exactly), cut and heated one end to turn up so it wouldn't dig in, and welded the other leg of the angle to the outsides of the box blade (ground the welds off to take it off when we got through). It really wasn't much work, but you do have to have someone with a welder and cutting torch.