PDA

View Full Version : Spin Off of Trailer Painting - can you "spot paint" to fix rust?

Fancy That
Jun. 25, 2010, 03:18 PM
I've searched and searched and all the "trailer painting" threads talk about REPAINTING THE TRAILER.

But what about just removing minimal rust? My 1994 Turnbow Trailer has little superficial rust where horses had scraped it on the exterior, and I've always planned to 'de rust' those spots.

But my question is - once I remove the rust, and prep it for paint....I'd imagine the "new painted area" will not match the rest of the paint at all. The trailer is white, but I'm just picturing it looking "spotty"......sort of obvious where I applied new paint to the previously rusty spots.

Has anyone done this? In other words, can you just treat rust spots and NOT repaint the entire trailer?

I guess the worst that can happen is the "white paint" won't match and it may look blotchy?

oldpony66
Jun. 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
:lol: I was just "spot painting" my trailer two days ago. You're lucky yours is white, it will be much easier to get close to a match. Mine is a tawny sort of tannish silver. There is no paint, aside from the manufacturer's original can (which they threw away after selling me the trailer) that matches my paint. But spotty is better than rusting through, so I just consider my trailer's color to be "custom".

Fancy That
Jun. 25, 2010, 04:33 PM
Okay, cool! I just hadn't heard of anyone "spot painting" I guess it's easier since it is white, but I still think the "new white" won't match the "old white" Oh well!

Nice to know folks do it! Now I need to go out there and start attacking those rusty areas :) Plan to use wire de-rusting brush, then that stuff that turns rust to primer, then the rustoleum white paint! Wish me luck!

JohnDeere
Jun. 25, 2010, 08:05 PM
Being from redneck country I was gonna suggest you find a color that doesnt match and make random shapes and sizes of spots.

At least thats what everyone else does! :lol:

Sithly
Jun. 26, 2010, 12:16 AM
Okay, cool! I just hadn't heard of anyone "spot painting" I guess it's easier since it is white, but I still think the "new white" won't match the "old white" Oh well!

Nice to know folks do it! Now I need to go out there and start attacking those rusty areas :) Plan to use wire de-rusting brush, then that stuff that turns rust to primer, then the rustoleum white paint! Wish me luck!

That's exactly my plan, as soon as we get a few nice days in a row here. Let us know how yours turns out!

kdow
Jun. 26, 2010, 12:30 AM
Being from redneck country I was gonna suggest you find a color that doesnt match and make random shapes and sizes of spots.

At least thats what everyone else does! :lol:

Or buy or make a stencil of some kind and add decorative stars or hearts or something. Then tell everyone how much you paid for your Custom Paint Job.

Sithly
Jun. 26, 2010, 12:52 AM
Forgot to mention I took one of my removable ramp top doors into Ace Hardware for custom paint matching. We'll see how closely it matches. We used the inside of the ramp doors since they were closest to the original color. The outside of the trailer is pretty faded.

philosoraptor
Jun. 28, 2010, 04:15 PM
Lots of people just do touch-up repainting. You can make the color difference less noticeable by trying hard to match the shade of white.... and whether it's high gloss or only a little glossy. Also, when spraypainting, if you're careful, you can feather the edges to blend the new area into the old.