PDA

View Full Version : Radio Commentary at WEG: If You've Used It at Rolex, Was It Worth It?

dressagetraks
Jun. 25, 2010, 01:44 PM
I just got my email ad today wanting me to buy the WEG radio that will tune into WEG broadcasts while you watch with blow-by-blow commentary on the events plus more, etc. They say they've used this same idea at Rolex for a while.

So if you have used the live radio commentary at Rolex, was it worth it? Are the commentators adding something, or do they make you want to rip your hair out? I've heard some commentators on TV broadcasts whom I would pay to shut up! On the other hand, I heard somebody talking a few years ago who at a big dressage show bought a live commentary radio for the day, and she said it added tremendously. Probably depends on who is commentating, but I don't have the cross discipline experience to judge the WEG list of names.

But since they specifically mentioned the similarities to what's used at Rolex, do you think it's added positively to your Rolex experience? Would you buy it again next time you go?

vineyridge
Jun. 25, 2010, 03:16 PM
Short answer is yes. The ongoing commentary is very interesting. This is the commentary that comes over earphones and a tiny radio that you pick up at the stadium and is limited to the events in the main outdoor arena.

For many years Sally O'Connor has done the Rolex commentary for dressage and stadium jumping. This year, because of the volcano, some of the European officials didn't make it, so she stepped in as TD or one of the other high muckety muck officials. Her replacements as commentator were Betsy and Jess Steiner, and after a bit of break in, they did quite nicely. I understood them to say that they would be doing the dressage commentary for the WEGs.

Don't know what the WEGs will be charging, but if it isn't exorbitant (like so much of the WEG pricing), I'd recommend it. But don't know how it would meld with the kur and kur music, as that hasn't been a Rolex issue.

I found this year that the earphones went out easily, but the people at the stadium are very good about replacing parts when necessary.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 25, 2010, 04:07 PM
Looks like it is $45....and you keep the radio.

http://www.weg2010store.com/woeqra.html

More information here.

http://worldequestrianradio.com/

bambam
Jun. 26, 2010, 11:34 AM
Yes. We had it for several years at Rolex. Sally doing the dressage commentary has been totally worth it- having the stadium commentary is nice but I would not get it just for that. There have been pretty significant technical problems a couple of years which made it almost not worthwhile but IIRC those were the first year when they were still sorting things out and a year when they changed technology with it. At this point they have been doing it for a while so I think that kind of issue is unlikely.

subk
Jun. 27, 2010, 01:21 AM
The commentary at Rolex is operated by Brian O'Conner--Sally's son, David's brother. For years Sally has done the commentating and she is wonderful. It is an incredibly educational experience because Sally is a teacher and judge and she's in your ear telling you what she sees as your watching it. Not to mention she has all sorts of inside knowledge she shares and has a wicked sense of humor.

Sally did not commentate this year at Rolex and won't at the WEG because she is one of the FEI Stewards. Betsy and Jessie Steiner did Rolex this year in prep to do the WEG. They are no slouches, really know their stuff and provide an educational experience as well. They got better and better as the event progressed this year. http://www.betsysteinerdressage.com/index.html

In all honesty I do prefer Sally but that's probably just the old curmudgeon in me that doesn't like new stuff. :D

I wouldn't even consider going to the WEG without the commentary as I've always found it worth every penny.