PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Questions

sirensong4
Jun. 24, 2010, 06:06 PM
So, i am signing Roxie up for a "jumping combined test"--basically from what I can tell, morning stadium, noonish x-c, and afternoon stadium. We are doing Nervous Novice cuz, hey, 2 foot is JUST FINE for our first x-c outing. :cool:

My over-fences past has always been in an arena: hunters, jumpers, eq, hunter handy, hunter hack, etc. I am not worried about the "out there" aspect of jumping anything since Roxie is a pretty solid trail horse. I have a couple of x-c lessons lined up between now and then (July 17th).

What I am most worried about is looking like an idiot because I. Don't. Know. Anything. About. Eventing. Seriously.

Here is what i know about it so far:

1) I need a vest. It's been ordered. Personally i think i should just be able to wear a life-jacket, but whatever, I'll play.
2) helmets with brims are bad but that's actually all i have, which is OK with the event.
3) i need sadl-tite for the first time in my life.

Here's what I DON'T know:

1) the entry form says Nervous Novice 900 at 300 mpm, max 2'. Um. whut. what is that, speed-wise? trot?
2) do I need a big watch?
3) Do i need the arm-card thing with all my vitals on it?
4) how formal are you supposed to dress/tack for stadium? Are you supposed to wear your vest for stadium too?
5) The stadium rounds are run under different tables. The first one is "touches only to count." Is that what they used to call "touches n time?" Bear in mind that i haven't been on the A circuit since USEF was AHSA. The second round is "based on USEF rules for eventing for the stadium jumping phase of the competition." ??? what the heck does *that* mean?

I'm sure i have more questions but these are the biggies for me.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can stop laughing long enough to give me some guidance! :sadsmile:

Carol Ames
Jun. 24, 2010, 06:28 PM
Sounds like fun!the show jumping specs are a bit odd; sounds like a jumper course for the first round/ class the second run under eventing rules; touches don't count but, rails do; as for speed measure out 300 meters; or at least 150 meters in a field somewhere; practice galloping, really a strong canter/ hand gallop the first segment in 30seconds then the second half in another 30seconds I've found that most horses gallop/ canter in an open field 325-350easily; have someone hold a stop watch and time you;

Carol Ames
Jun. 24, 2010, 06:33 PM
tie a knot in the end of your reins; practice slipping them as you lean way back, head on the rump, and picking hem back up s you sit up; then, when you get to a drop fence you will know what to do; also practice conditioning with bridged reins

Carol Ames
Jun. 24, 2010, 06:50 PM
A watch is ok; I just used a digital thru the * 3de l:eek:level; I usually tell my students starting out or with green horses just to settle into a rhythm:yes: and not :cool:worry about time unless they tended to poke along:o

Scaramouch
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:05 PM
You shouldn't actually *need* Sadl-Tite or anything similar. I can't imagine why you would?

300 mpm is more like a slow canter, leaving you room to trot the fences if needed. If you trot the whole course, you'll probably come in over time, which is perfectly okay for your first event if that's what makes you comfortable. :yes:

You do not need a watch. Time is not your biggest concern at this level... Whether or not you need the medical armband will be up to the individual event. If you have one, bring it, if not, ask.

On vests for stadium ... most people probably won't be wearing them unless stadium is right after xc. However, no one will look at you funny if you do choose to wear it.

What you're saying about stadium is confusing to me. I've never been to an event where the was a "second round," so I'm no help there.

retreadeventer
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:16 PM
It sounds like your competition is allowing you to jump a jumper style course and an eventing show jumping course. The jumper one is touches to count, (which is rather old fashioned and kind of outdated) and the eventing round should be on the regular eventing rules where rails down and stops will count against you.
As was noted, 300mpm is pretty much a good trot or slow collected canter and certainly trotting is ok as long as you are balanced.
As far as what to wear, why, be clean and neat and you'll be fine. Don't worry about your helmet -- it should be ASTM and fit well, and don't worry about colors or anything. Be comfortable but neat.
The vest will take some getting used to. Make sure you try it on, and adjust it to fit while walking around, then make sure you ride in it once or twice because you may need to adjust it out a little. If it really feels funny, ride in it several times.
What is most important is to walk your courses ahead of time so that you know where you are going and what the obstacles ASK you to do. Is there uphill, or downhill? Will you plan on balancing for those jumps, and where? Just be sure to leave enough time to walk the XC so you know where you are going.
You will be surprised by some stuff and other things won't bother you at all, so be sure and have a good time and give us a report afterwards! Good luck!

Highflyer
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:42 PM
Do get the armband--the band itself is available at Dover and Bitof Britain among others if you can't find one to borrow, and the card can be printed from the USEA page, but I wouldn't worry about a watch--I'm a little surprised they're timing it, around here they mostly don't at the schooling stuff.

Use what you've got or guesstimate, but it should be an easy canter with maybe a bit of trotting in the woods/ water etc. (And I would recommend doing what you're comfortable with anyway, the first few times out, even if that means walking into the water etc.--aim for a good experience!)

Most likely a polo shirt and britches/ boots will be fine for stadium, and you can wear a vest or not as you like. Helmets with brims are actually fine, and I wear mine for all 3 phases at recognized events.

sirensong4
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:10 PM
Awesome. Thanks for all the good advice! Keep it coming if there is anything else I should know, anything that YOU wish someone had told you at your first one, etc. I'm not very high-strung and i'm not going to totally lose it if there are surprises and i look like, well, a noob. Being as how I am! :)
I am just looking forward to having a good day!