PDA

View Full Version : Roommate Wanted to Share House and 6-acre farm in NJ

MoonRiver5
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:18 PM
I'm thinking of renting a 6-acre farm in Ringoes, NJ (Hunterdon County) and bringing my horses home, but I need someone to help share the expenses and maybe do afternoon feedings. I know the property owner already because I currently rent an apartment on her other farm, and she will do all the property maintenance (mowing, gardening, landscaping, manure removal, snow removal, etc.). The total rent is $3,000 per month, which we would split. We would also split utilities, which she estimates would be about $200-300 per month. We would be responsible for hay, grain, and bedding for the horses.

The house is a Colonial Williamsburg reproduction with exposed beams, wide plank floors and old world (1700s) details. On the first floor, the house has a large eat-in kitchen with a Jenn Air range, dishwasher and refrigerator with a mud room attached. There is a working fireplace in the living room with built-in book shelves. In the dining room there is a china closet. The entrance way has a large coat closet and there is a full bath at the end of the hall. The second floor has three bedrooms and a full bath. Each bedroom has two closets, in addition, there is a large cedar closet and linen closet in the hallway. There is an oil furnace and humidifier, central air conditioning and a dehumidifier. There is a full basement where there is a washer and dryer. Pictures available here: http://www.equestrianretreats.com/Yellowwood_Farm.html

The property has a three-stall barn with a brick aisle and loft, three paddocks with run-in sheds, split rail fencing with top electric wire. There is a 90x200 outdoor ring (no lights). I plan on buying jumps for the outdoor ring. There is also a meadow that would probably be rideable once it is brush-hogged, and a couple of cross-country jumps. There are several farms close by (within hacking distance) where prior tenants have arranged to use indoor rings during the winter. There is also a hay farmer adjacent to the property, who sells good quality hay for about $5.25 per bale including delivery. There is also a small orchard on the property, with apple, cherry, pear and quince trees. There is a pretty brick courtyard and garden by the house.

About me and my horses: I am a young female professional, with about twenty years of experience working in the hunter/jumper horse industry. I leave for work at 8 a.m. and come home around 7 p.m. I am clean but not a neat-freak, pretty quiet, responsible, and considerate. I don't really cook, but I enjoy gardening and having fresh vegetables around. I have an 8-year-old dutch warmblood gelding who competes in the hunters and a 2-year-old german warmblood mare who is not yet broke but will likely be a hunter as well. They are both well behaved, with good social skills and good ground manners. They are happy to live outside during nice weather but I would plan to keep them in during the day in the hottest part of the year and in at night during the winter. I have a truck and trailer and would likely ship out for lessons on the weekends, and I horse show about twice a month. For at least the first year, the mare could stay behind with your horse. I also have two cats, who will (hopefully) be barn cats, if they can deal.

The ideal person for this situation would be a reliable, trustworthy female with one horse (mare or gelding would be okay), who is available to feed in the evenings. I can take care of the mornings and the weekends. Obviously willing to work something out if either of us travel. Property owner says that pets will be considered; she knows about my cats and they are ok, but I'm not sure how she would feel about a dog (though I love dogs!). You would be responsible for your horse's hay, grain, and bedding, and we would split the utilities.

Property is available August 1, 2010, and it's a one year lease. Please PM me if interested!