PDA

View Full Version : Ok - how do I get a black snake out of my well house??

crosscreeksh
Jun. 24, 2010, 03:36 PM
Eeeek!!! I am a self proclaimed snake hater!! I personally shot and killed 10 water moccasins this spring and summer and constantly watch where I walk. Sooooo every night when I go in the COOL pump house to turn the water on to one of my pastures I carefully look around to make sure "no one" /snake is in there cooling off. Well, two nights ago there was a nice fat Black snake sleeping off a big meal in the cool stone building. I am not so hateful as to kill a Black snake, but there is no way I was going to reach down just inches from him to turn on the water!! I took a long stick and tried to encourage him to vacate the building, but he refused. I had to call DH to turn on, then off, the water. Last night he was still there - DH to the rescue again. Now I don't want to kill a Black snake, but there is no way in hell I'm reaching down to turn the faucet on with a snake wrapped around it!! We have 90 acres...he can be anywhere else minus my 2 square feet of space. Is there anything I can spray or dust the ground with to make him not like being there?? I thought Alum did something like that. How about wasp spray??

Frank B
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:06 PM
Most lawn & garden and farm supply stores carry snake repellent, although how effective they are is subject to debate.

I put it around the house to keep my wife happy. (If she ever visits this BB, I'm toast!)

Almost Heaven
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:57 PM
If the BS is there, the mocs and the copperheads and the RS's are not. Leave him there, or bring him to me. You're fortunate to have him.

If you must run him off, put mothballs/crystals down.

bird4416
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:58 PM
Get a mongoose.:D

carolprudm
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:08 PM
If the BS is there, the mocs and the copperheads and the RS's are not. Leave him there, or bring him to me. You're fortunate to have him.

Yup

Bluey
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:11 PM
Get one of those at Walmart and pick the snake off the faucet, open it, put snake back on it::D

http://www.gemplers.com/shop/cleanup-tools

fivehorses
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:13 PM
I think I might even tolerate a black snake if I knew they kept those other nasty snakes away.
Heck, as long as I know where the snake is, I am ok. Its the surprise that gets me.
He'll move off, and in the meantime, you can humor your hubby to feeling needed and helping you with the water.

snkstacres
Jun. 24, 2010, 06:05 PM
Yup, make your husband feel like a hero and keep the good snake. Him around means the water moccassins and undesireables are not. 10 Water Moccassins is a huge number.

texang73
Jun. 25, 2010, 10:50 AM

Ditto!

Jaegermonster
Jun. 25, 2010, 07:57 PM
Seriously? You don't. You leave him be and you won't have a problem with poisonous snakes.
Or you just box him up and ship him here, I have a few rattlers that could use his attentions.

Donkaloosa
Jun. 25, 2010, 08:38 PM
Get geese. They do a great job keeping snakes away.

But, alas, it is true, black snakes are harmless, and they do keep the nasty snakes away because they'll eat darn near anything, and they are bigger than a lot of bad snakes. The element of surprise, though, is deadly. I am also a card-carrying snake-hater, I've stepped on them in my bedroom, found them curled around the dog water bowl, and always jump and scream dramatically whenever one pops up and waves hello. I think I am the almighty totem of all snakes because they seem to love me.

Just keep making your husband take care of the water until the snake moves away to a more comfy place --- once he's digested his meal, he'll go out hunting again. And maybe next time, he'll have the courtesy to hide where you don't see him when you go in to the well house!

back in the saddle
Jun. 25, 2010, 08:47 PM
We have one that likes to sleep on the gate. shudder.. I HATE that element of surprise even though I've come to expect it. "Charlie" is about 7.5 feet long and growing. Found a huge skin last weekend in his normal area.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m245/backinthesaddle_2006/c1fd167f.jpg

foundationmare
Jun. 25, 2010, 09:00 PM
That is one HUGE snake Back in the Saddle. It's pathetic, but I am limiting my geographic areas of location based on the possibility of snake encounters. Aargh.

Catersun
Jun. 25, 2010, 09:04 PM
a barn I boarded at used to have those damn fake snakes all over the place... scared the piss out of me a number of times as I'm stolling along adn see a damn coiled up snake at the bottom of the staircase.... then I'd recall it was a fake... I'm personally of the opinion that snakes do not belong inside... I'd keep a black snake alive... but he would definatly be relocated.

horseshrink
Jun. 25, 2010, 09:05 PM
I would move....seriously. If I found one in my well house or one on the gate like Back In The Saddle, I'm not sure I would even bother to pack, just drive far, far away!!!!

Yikes.

MadeYaLook
Jun. 25, 2010, 09:18 PM
Just out of curiosity horseshrink how long have you lived in Ocala? If this is your first summer here in Fla. I guess you had better be prepared to move 'cuz you aren't going to get through a season here in the south without some kind of snake encounter!:D

horseshrink
Jun. 25, 2010, 09:39 PM
I have actually lived in Ocala for five years and spent 25 years a South Florida. In all that time, I never saw a snake (other than the snakes at the Miami Serpentarium at my snake phobia classes). The closest I've come is finding a snake skin in a bush in my front yard.

I am spending the summer in West Texas and am very fearful from what the locals are telling me about snakes. Hope I make it through.

halo
Jun. 25, 2010, 09:50 PM
Ive been in Ocala for 10 years out on a farm, amongst huge farms, and havent seen that many snakes. I was lucky enough to see a young black racer this spring; actually saw him several days in a row, but havent seen him since. I hope he's okay.

Melelio
Jun. 26, 2010, 07:46 AM
Is there a way you could put up some sort of wall of wood or some such around the faucet handle, so he can't lie ON it and you can reach in and turn it on without touching him, but leaving him room in there to sleep? I'd love to have one in my barn; the snake....but he might eat the baby birds, soooo....

twofatponies
Jun. 26, 2010, 07:54 AM
I guess you could keep the thought in your mind that if he's too well-fed and sleepy to move when you prod him with a broom or stick, he's not going to move when you reach in to turn on the water either. You could put a glove on, just to give yourself some "cootie" protection. I've been bitten by black (rat) snakes before (in camp - the "tame" snake we passed around got tired of being handled by the time it was my turn!!) and it doesn't hurt very much.

crosscreeksh
Jun. 26, 2010, 04:09 PM
I appreciate all the notes...positive and negative...I especially like horseshrink's idea of packing up and moving!!! Those of you wishing they were in YOUR yard/barn are more that welcome to come here and make THAT happen! I'll put you up for the night!!! We've been here in NE Oklahoma for five years and seen a snake or two...here and there, but NEVER as many and as nasty as this year with all the water moccasins. I can comprehend the value of the big black snake...he just doesn't need to be in my immediate area! The water mocs are in the creek and on the dam at the end of our driveway - 300 feet from my living space. The dogs like to swim in the creek several times a day and from what I've encountered the water mocs have been very aggressive. DH HAS been running that one hose, but last night when I went to see if the BS had moved out...I found him draped across the whole doorway to the well house. I politely asked him to move and he did...straight up the wall into the rafters!! GADDDDD!! Sorry snake lovers...there is not enough sedative (or even a man with a big gun) to get me to walk UNDER a damn snake...no matter what color and friendly persuasion he is!! DH to the rescue, but even he didn't want to walk under BS!!! I threw three handsfull of moth balls in and left. Today I was putting hay into the racks in my yearling stalls and what do I find??? A BIGGER BS stretched full length UP the wall from the hay racks to a nest of baby birds 9 feet above in the rafters!! Moving seems like a good option at this point!! The second BS I scraped down the wall and ushered him out to the pasture. My space on this planet is not all THAT big...surely these creatures can find someplace ELSE to camp out!! They are not killing bad snakes when they are in my well house and stable...get a job and out of my face!! I have barn cats that take care of mice and rats...have never seen one in 5 years..and furry things don't scare me!!! Go away snakes!!!

glimmerling
Jun. 26, 2010, 04:34 PM
Yup, time to move!

horseshrink
Jun. 26, 2010, 05:37 PM
Need help packing or are you just "outa there?"

I'm even thinking NE OK is too close to TX. Don't chase them this way please.

Thomas_1
Jun. 26, 2010, 05:42 PM
Ok - how do I get a black snake out of my well house?? Carefully or you don't :winkgrin:

crosscreeksh
Jun. 26, 2010, 10:35 PM
Well, when I opened the well house door tonight it smelled a whole lot like an ancient sweater trunk...but on close examination there was no BS to be seen. And believe me I looked really hard!! The last thing I want is a BS to fall from above!! I turned the faucet on, walked out to check the tank filling then had this sick idea that the damn snake might be waiting for me when I returned...and the water would flow til DH came to the rescue. But joy of joys, no BS ever appeared. I think I'm saved...until I run across the next one!! It's the element of surprise that ruins my day...not just the serpent!! Thank God for moth balls!!! And thanks to COTHer's!!

gingerbread
Jun. 26, 2010, 11:01 PM
Glad you're making progress! Blacksnakes appear in my wellhouse too, and I have to descend into it to turn on the water during gardening season. Have seen two consorting in there, and have found enormous shed skins festooning the "pit"...
I always make a lot of noise with a long sturdy stick before I go down to open the faucet--rattle it around in there, singing a song about snake, snake, go away...and keep that stick with me in case snake-wrangling is required.
I would never actually harm one. I sort of like blacksnakes, but only from a distance please...