PDA

View Full Version : Favorite parts of your barn?

Neighland
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:49 PM
I'd love to hear everyone's favorite things (and I suppose dislike's too!) about their barn or a barn you've been in? At some point (hopefully sooner than later), we will be building a new barn, and love to hear peoples likes and dislikes.

Anyone used the one piece mats? Do you like them?

Gloria
Jun. 24, 2010, 03:33 PM
I will say my favorite part of my barn is my grooming/wash bay. Let me see what it has...

Three sided lined with PolyMax board with shallow shelf built in to store numerous bottles. Hot/cold water with overhang hose (boome sprayer). Hot water tank is stored in the adjacent tack roomThe side that share with tack room has recessed wall for sink/cabinet. The sink is wonderful when you have to wash hands or mix hot water to make bran mash:D). It is recessed so the front is flush with the wall. Dutch windows on two sides Overhead radiant heater aligned with horse' spine and ceiling fan.
Concrete floor with one piece rubber mat on top. The floor is sloped to drain to a drainage at one side, not center of the wash bay (some horses hate center drain).

Dance_To_Oblivion
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:28 PM
One of my favorite things about my barn is that I have multiple stall options. I have 12 x 12 stalls that are very open and the horses can have contact with each other. I have 12x14 stalls that are more closed and while the horse can still see each other they can't have contact. Two of my 12x12 stalls can be converted to a 12x24.

I also have the barn and fencing set up so that even if a horse were to get out of their stall they are still within in a fenced area. All stalls have an exterior exit door as well.

Have fun planning!

sublimequine
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:31 PM
- Pastures that don't get overgrazed or flooded.

- A realllllly nice dry lot, that has gravel and is in a high area, so it never gets muddy.

- Safe fencing!

I don't require much! :lol:

2DogsFarm
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:32 PM
My barn is nothing fancy - 36X36 pole building with two 12X12 stalls. Plain & workmanlike and easy to maintain.

My favorite part is the Dutch doors at the rear of the 2 stalls that lets the stalls open to my sacrifice paddock that surrounds the barn, and from there to the pastures.
Horses have access to stalls, paddock or pasture as they wish.

60X120 indoor arena is connected to the barn by a common wall and has 16' high sliding doors on all four sides. When all of these are open there is great cross-ventilation into the barn.
Close them up and the barn is snug & comfy in bad weather.

I have a frostfree pump inside so watering in Winter is easy. Even when I disconnect the hose (cause I'm too lazy to drain it daily in freezing weather) I can water from buckets that I only need to carry some 20' from pump to stall.
A heat tape keeps the pump from freezing.

Everything is arranged so my labor is minimal. For 2 horses chores take me 1/2 hour. Including picking stalls, scrubbing & refilling water buckets, mixing & feeding grain, dumping the wheelbarrow and sweeping the aisle.
If I strip the stalls add an hour, but that is only needed every couple of weeks.

No mats in my stalls. I do have some rubber roofing in the aisle - mostly so vet & farrier have a clean place to work.

What don't I like?
No covered walkway from house to barn.
I have to trudge the entire 250' in any weather.
Poor me :cry:

Bluey
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:38 PM
My favorite design in a barn is stalls that open to a sizeable overhang, that is part of an outside run.

This way, you can have a horse shut in the stall, open into the run or shut out of the stall and just in the run, with protection from the weather under the overhang.

Our stalls are 14' by 14' and open to a 14' deep overhang and 50'+ long runs, that can be open into a large lot, that opens into a horse trap, that opens into the horse pastures.

dmalbone
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:02 PM
Hands-down favorite is dutch doors that open to a paddock with overhang. We only did 8' overhangs, but that's all that was in the budget and they've worked so far. The increased ventilation is amazing, I can leave them out in their paddocks at night or in bad weather and love to see them standing under the overhang in the shade but out of the rain. We had a breakthrough and my wussy, stall-loving horse FINALLY pooped outside TWICE today in his paddock when his stall door was open. :lol: He's becoming a real rugged horse now that he can come and go outside as he pleases. :)

I am also very fond of the spar varnish we put on our stall walls. I wish I had put another coat at least. I just got in from wiping down the stall walls where my slob of a horse annihilated his stall wall with nasty hay cube mush. A wet rag and voila... looks brand new!

carolprudm
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:14 PM
My favorit thing is what I don't have....a loft.

Today temperature in the barn was holding at 90 with a nice breeze. It came darn close to 100 outside.

I have no loft so the barns are open to the ridge vent. There are big doors on each end and dutch doors out from the stalls. There are vents at the top of theqouside walls and grills between the stalls. It is post and beam construction, no trusses.

It was designed to be cool in summer.

In the winter, well that's why we have blankets.

saddleup
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:23 PM
My favorites are my skylights and the Nelson auto waterers. Oh, and the overhang I added last summer over the stalls on the west side of the barn, plus the additional hydrant right next to the stock tank so no more dragging a hose in the winter to drain it.

Simple pleasures.

walktrot
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:33 PM
Heated bathroom!

deltawave
Jun. 24, 2010, 08:33 PM
The fact that it is located 600 feet from my house. :)

Nice, bright, airy stalls, a ridge vent that's clear plastic and natural daylight keeps it from being a dungeon. I *hate* dark barns.

Two of my stalls "transform" into a 12 x 24' foaling stall (heavily used this year!) and I like it in its current state so much I may never put the partition back in.

My automatic waterer, located outside in the sacrifice paddock, is hands down the BEST thing I ever put in. I don't think about watering my horses at all, beyond the daily "eyeball check" and weekly cleaning. No nasty hoses, frozen buckets, ever. :yes:

My tack room: 184 square feet that's MINE, ALL MINE! :D

The horse porch, under an overhang off the side of the barn where the dutch doors exit to the sacrifice paddock, where the horses can hang out, high and dry, and just relax no matter what the weather is.

jazzrider
Jun. 24, 2010, 08:46 PM
I love my barn. We live in a very horsey area with lots a horse properties with barns much nicer than mine. But my vet has sends over folks who are planning to build a barn to check out ours for ideas. Everyone says "it's so light and airy" and it has a "great open feeling." We built it six years ago, and I've always felt the layout was a bit standard. It's only been this year that I've figured it out. We added an extra foot to the wall height, that is clear, thick, see-through plastic (it's a steel barn). It lets indirect sunlight in throughout the whole barn. Along with that, every stall has a window and a dutch door (I wanted the horse to have light in winter when the dutch doors are closed), and there's a big old 6 x 6 foot sky light over the wash bay. So it gets a lot of natural light inside, and lots of ways to ensure good air circulation. :) It makes me and my horses very happy.

Zu Zu
Jun. 24, 2010, 08:58 PM
One of my favorite things in my barn = The American Flag ~ it hangs down from the rafters in the center aisle ~ blows with the breeze ~ not one of my horses or ponies blinks an eye when it waves ~ IMHO it is VERY COOL ~ :cool:

PocketsGirl
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:33 PM
Trap doors in the loft so you can drop hay down but don't have to worry about falling.

2DogsFarm
Jun. 25, 2010, 08:12 AM
Another Thumbs up for skylights & eavelights :yes:

I went with the 2' eavelights and wish I had done 3'.

Mine are translucent, but they now come in clear plastic that the builder tells me is pretty scratch-resistant.

Between sky & eave my barn & arena are airy & light.
I only need to switch on lights when there is zero daylight left.

jazzrider
Jun. 25, 2010, 08:57 AM
Another Thumbs up for skylights & eavelights :yes:

Eavelights! Finally, a name for them!!! Thanks 2Dogs, I've always been at a loss as to what to call them...

cyndi
Jun. 25, 2010, 08:57 AM
-Concrete aisle with rubber mats. Very easy to keep clean and plenty of traction.

-Washing machine in my barn - finally this year after 20+ years of having horses at home!

-Barn sink with hot/cold water.

-Hot water at wash rack, also this year and _I_ did the plumbing!

-12 grassy acres with plenty of trees, and only 5 horses.

DiablosHalo
Jun. 25, 2010, 10:05 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with my barn!

Love- Steel pre-fab. Can powerwash entire inside/outside few times a year and it is still sparkling white (inside) after 8 years! No maintenance. Double shedrow style w/sand footing- easy to jog inside barn/break babies, etc.

Hate- Steel pre-fab. It's hot June-Aug! Have tack/supplies in 2nd barn. Always have to walk back/forth for stuff. Thinking I'm going to cut off one end from riding inside and make that tack/suppy/trunks area.

KnKShowmom
Jun. 25, 2010, 11:38 AM
First and foremost - I love that I don't have to drive to my barn - just a short walk from the house!

Structurally -

My aisle has rubber mats up the center with concrete apron around it - vet and farrier both appreciate working on the mats.

The stalls have mats in the center with concrete apron to hold them in place - no bulging or popping corners

Dutch doors on the back of the stalls leading to a 10' overhang - even when I'm not around, they can get out of the weather.

The rehab paddocks - one is 24x24 and the other is a bit larger but I can also open gates between to gradually increase the turn out space. Great for one who has been on stall rest and also a good meet and greet area when a new one comes in.

No hay in the loft - all hay is loaded into a ground level hay room on the back side of the barn through a separate large sliding door - eliminates the hay mess in the aisleway and main barn and the whine from my husband about having to pitch hay into a loft "at his age" :D