PDA

View Full Version : Groton House Wrapup (was Groton House XC tomorrow!)

frugalannie
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:23 PM
Anyone still on their computer who will be there?

My mare and I had our dressage lesson this morning. Unfortunately, while we are now in the same solar system, we are still on different planets. My goal is to not be last by 15 points after dressage, and to go clean XC.

Anyone else?

NoviceEvntr
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:48 PM
I am at work tho, and cannot concentrate! I am leaving soon to go get my packet, check out xc, and then off to clean the pony and pack the trailer.

Have FUN, be safe and do your best!

oh, wait, those are my goals ;)

CANTEREOIN
Jun. 24, 2010, 03:13 PM
Five years of dreaming of being a competitor while watching my horse compete there with professionals. Finally I'm ready. To be sure I got in, I went to the Area 1 Annual Meeting and won the entry in the silent auction.

I'm in... so excited, got new gear so I would look the best I could for the video and pictures I planned on buying....

I forgot the bubble wrap for my horse... She fractured her lower right splint bone somehow in her paddock. Surgery yesterday... 6-8 weeks to recuperate.

Good news, I still have a running and jumping horse at the end of the time... yet, I'm still sad at the loss of GHF.

Have a great ride!!!!!!

frugalannie
Jun. 24, 2010, 03:20 PM
Oh no, Cantereoin! What rotten luck! Big virtual hugs.

You can still come and volunteer. I'll be in the scoring bus all XC morning helping out. Want to come and help?

NoviceEvntr, best of luck, and yes, definitely have fun.

Good luck to everyone else who'll be riding.

Fred
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:29 PM
so sorry Cantereoin, what rotten luck. Hoping for a full recovery for your girl.

frugalannie have fun, the hopes of horsegrannies everywhere are with you (along with our supply of voltaren and advil)

good luck to everyone!!

CANTEREOIN
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:01 PM
Oh no, Cantereoin! What rotten luck! Big virtual hugs.

You can still come and volunteer. I'll be in the scoring bus all XC morning helping out. Want to come and help?

NoviceEvntr, best of luck, and yes, definitely have fun.

Good luck to everyone else who'll be riding.

I can help after I braid two horses before noon... I've done scoring at Apple Knoll... so if you don't mind someone stale, I would be happy too. I'll stop by

Babble
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:20 PM
I feel you Cantereoin, I called and scratched this morning...

At the end of a good XC school last weekend, my normally sure-footed mare lost her footing landing off a decently sized table and we both slammed into the ground at full speed. I ended up in the ER with a partially collapsed lung, and after much convincing, the doctors persuaded me it was better to let myself heal rather than hop right back on a horse. I am so lucky that horse and I walked away with relatively minor injuries, but so bummed to be missing Groton House!

Thanks for letting me whine a bit. Good luck to all competitors. I will be there cheering you on on Saturday!

quietann
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:41 PM
You all have my best wishes, for nice rounds at GH, or horse recovery, or human recovery. I will be elsewhere this weekend, which makes me sad, because GH is my #1 favorite event for spectating.

silver pine
Jun. 24, 2010, 11:21 PM
I just got home from bathing, braiding and packing. Thanks to Babble who cleaned my tack or I would still be at the barn!

Keep your eyes open for a cute buckskin going novice/training.
That will be us!

Teatime
Jun. 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
Five years of dreaming of being a competitor while watching my horse compete there with professionals. Finally I'm ready. To be sure I got in, I went to the Area 1 Annual Meeting and won the entry in the silent auction.

I'm in... so excited, got new gear so I would look the best I could for the video and pictures I planned on buying....

I forgot the bubble wrap for my horse... She fractured her lower right splint bone somehow in her paddock. Surgery yesterday... 6-8 weeks to recuperate.

Good news, I still have a running and jumping horse at the end of the time... yet, I'm still sad at the loss of GHF.

Have a great ride!!!!!!

Oh my what a terrible news. I remember meeting you and your mare a few years ago in stabling. I can't imagine you would remember but maybe...I was the bald woman in the Life is Good basebacll cap.

What a nice mare. I'll keep the good vibes going for her recovery. There is always next year!!!

Take care,
T

frugalannie
Jun. 25, 2010, 05:08 PM
Mare and I are as ready as we'll ever be.

Dressage today was a complete surprise. Despite the fact that we were still on distant planets early this morning, and I was carrying a huge amount of stress due to all the rest of my life (Fred, I think I needed valium and ibuprofen, but went in cold turkey), we had a dressage test that pleased me greatly. IMHO, it was several major steps above our previous best efforts. And no matter how the judge scores it, I praised my mare mightily and told her how wonderful she is.

Hope it carries through to tomorrow!

Hope everyone else had a good day too.

Off to course walk.

Lisa Cook
Jun. 25, 2010, 08:43 PM
I'm stressing about the trakehner on the novice course. A trakehner! On novice! A real one with a real ditch underneath, not a shallow trench or anything. :eek:

Yep, been stressing mightily after seeing that one.

Got a 36 in dressage, which was right about where I thought my score would be when I left the ring. Was NOT expecting to find myself in 17th with a 36, however! Some stellar horses in my division, for sure.

frugalannie
Jun. 25, 2010, 10:38 PM
I'm stressing about the trakehner on the novice course. A trakehner! On novice! A real one with a real ditch underneath, not a shallow trench or anything. :eek:

Yep, been stressing mightily after seeing that one.

Got a 36 in dressage, which was right about where I thought my score would be when I left the ring. Was NOT expecting to find myself in 17th with a 36, however! Some stellar horses in my division, for sure.

FWIW, every GHF course I've ridden has been more of a rider problem than a horse problem, if you know what I mean. If you can conquer the demons in your cranium, you will ride a great and fun XC. If your brain gets in the way...

Good luck tomorrow to all competitiors. Even those 12 points ahead of me!

Larbear
Jun. 27, 2010, 06:39 PM
The x-country was awesome yesterday =D My overall goal is not to be last and finish up on the dressage score...goal accomplished! ;p The dressage is a such a struggle...it's good at home but away from home...

Joan from Flatlands
Jun. 28, 2010, 06:45 AM
What was causing all the E's and TE in SJ?

Joan from Flatlands

Larbear
Jun. 28, 2010, 08:22 AM

Joan from Flatlands

Which division? I saw in one of the training divisions a rider left a fence out (doh!) and another after a clear round unfortunately slowed up and turn to leave just before going through the finish flags. I had to keep telling myself do NOT forget the coloured oxer after the combo...do NOT forget! ;p

Joan from Flatlands
Jun. 28, 2010, 08:54 AM
Didnt seem to be confined to one level / division - pretty much across the score board! Im guessin the TEs were off course or missed flags but what was up w all the Es?

Joan from Flatlands

NoviceEvntr
Jun. 28, 2010, 10:15 AM
Personally I always find stadium at GHF tougher than xc (UNH too). I saw a few people in the Novice/TN ring miss fence 8, a few fences you had to be turning as you were landing, setting a few teams up for awkward lines/distances.

Well, I met my goals- we finished safely! What a blast xc was! how fun! I was very happy with our dressage score, were clean xc, had a stop in stadium, but then sailed right over it. What a great weekend! The volunteers are amazing:yes:!!!

frugalannie
Jun. 28, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hi Joan.

I only watched a few go in the lower ring (site of many TEs I believe). A number of people missed fence 8. It was on a bending line to the left, away from the final two fences. And I saw one rider, whom I'm sure would prefer to remain unidentified, do a beautiful, balanced turn after the final fence away from the finish flags and out of the ring. OUCH!

And I met my goal of qualifying for the T3D, and my coach's of finishing on my dressage score!!

Hope everyone else had a good go, too.

Larbear
Jun. 28, 2010, 10:46 AM
Personally I always find stadium at GHF tougher than xc (UNH too). I saw a few people in the Novice/TN ring miss fence 8, a few fences you had to be turning as you were landing, setting a few teams up for awkward lines/distances.

Oh yeh, fence 8...was no problem when I walked it the first time but I found myself while walking a seconding going right from fence 7b over to the last line and had to stop myself when I saw others going to the left....was thinking "where are they going?? Oh yeh!! doh!" Kept repeating it it my head...go left go left go left! :)

Larbear
Jun. 28, 2010, 10:47 AM
Hi Joan.

....And I saw one rider, whom I'm sure would prefer to remain unidentified, do a beautiful, balanced turn after the final fence away from the finish flags and out of the ring. OUCH!

Yes, I saw that...thought oh no!! Ouch!

His Greyness
Jun. 28, 2010, 11:09 AM

Joan from Flatlands

In the upper ring for the Training/Novice, Junior Training and Novice Divisions the course was laid out requiring a bending line to the left to Jump 8 after the combination Jumps 7A and 7B before a half circle to the right to get to the final line of Jumps 9 and 10.

I discussed this with the course designer who said she has few questions she could ask at the lower levels but one of which is "Rider, are you paying attention?" Unfortunately a noticeable number of riders were not and rode from Jumps 7A/B to Jump 9 missing out Jump 8.

frugalannie
Jun. 29, 2010, 08:07 AM
By the way, His Greyness, great job!

shamrocker
Jun. 30, 2010, 08:11 AM
Just back from GHF with my daughter who has been waiting several years to have the right horse to do this event. Her big mare just turned 7 and she was foot perfect in the XC and SJ. They did the Training/Novice division. These courses seem to be the most challenging in Area I. The trakehner at Novice was a surprise:) Her mare sailed over that with a huge launch and they had a very successful weekend.

This event is exceptionally well run, first class in every way. My daughter and I both volunteered during the free time, doing Ring stewarding (dr) fence judging, and timing. They treat their volunteers the best and they also serve an amazing lunch. You do learn a lot about the sport by working behind the scenes, and you get to see a lot, really great riding, and amazing horses, and also the latter, up close and personal.

Thanks Groton House organizers and landowners for a wonderful weekend!