PDA

View Full Version : Gold Country Ride cancelled... :(

Lieselotte
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:07 PM
Because of an unusual (and unjustified?) move by the US Forest Service, the Gold Country Endurance Ride on July 10 had to be cancelled.

From Joe Larkin, President Gold Country Endurance Riders:
"usfs (the georgetown ranger district eldorado national forest) notified us 4 weeks before our ride that we must pay $4,230.53 - "Due to the estimates for Forest Service staff time being in excess of 50 hours for processing Gold Country Endurance Riders' permit application, the Forest Service is required to charge cost recovery fees for the processing the application."
We have used the same trails and campsite since 1993 - volunteering many hours. now usfs wants to charge us to process our application and even then they may not allow the gold country endurance riders the permit to use usfs property. because we cannot get this fee waived, negotiated or reduced we must cancel the ride."

Is this a desperate money grab? Or do they just want this annual ride to go away? Who needs 50 hours to process an application???

Dear endurance riders near and far, please voice your displeasure/outrage/surprise at this move by the USFS:
Jon Jue, Resource Officer
Georgetown ranger district Eldorado National Forest (530) 333-5550
email: jjue@fs.fed.us

Or Congressman Tom McClintock:
4230 Douglas Blvd. Suite 200
Granite Bay, CA 95746
Phone: (916) 786-5560

Or Senators Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein...

Thank you for your support!

Lieselotte
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:14 PM
Barbara Boxer's Fresno office will work with Gold Country Ride Management, so please thank and encourage them: 559-497-5109.

Also, feel free to contact Senator Feinstein's Fresno office at 559-489-7430.

Huntertwo
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:48 PM
I wonder since many states are on the verge of bankruptcy, especially CA., is this a way to create revenue?

Zwarte
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:58 PM
The Forest Service is federal. Not state.

PRS
Jul. 2, 2010, 09:21 AM
The Forest Service is federal. Not state.

Yep...Obama has to pay for all the "free" health care somehow. I heard that the IRS plans to tax citizens for the cost of coverage provided by their employers as if it was cash...another hand in my pocket.....