PDA

View Full Version : Tire recommendations for F250?

IFG
Jun. 24, 2010, 10:56 AM
Title says it all, 1999 Super Duty F250 4 X 4, that I use mostly for hauling and farm chores, some short commuting (since my daughter took out a tree with my old Toyota). Any recommendations for replacement tires?

Thanks!

CatOnLap
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:42 PM
the best ones you can afford?

Seriously, the difference in handling and braking when I changed from the stock Ford equipment on my super duty to the Michelin light truck tires I have on there now was astounding. I think they are Michelin LTX-AT's.

Calvincrowe
Jun. 24, 2010, 01:51 PM
Just make sure they are TRUCK tires, not car tires, and are rated for the load you need to haul. I have an F350 and I have a PNW tire company's brand of tire, specifically made for large trucks. It is not safe to drive/haul with under rated tires.

SonnysMom
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:03 PM
What a timely post. I was going to ask for what to put on my K2500 4 x 4. I have the Dueller Revos on now and have not been real happy with them.
I am thinking either the General Grabber AT2 or the BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's.
I have used those BFG's before but also like the look of the Grabbers.

I found with the Dueller Revos I didn't think they had enough grab in either the snow or mud so wanted something with a little more aggresive tread even if it means a noisier ride.

Anybody use either the Grabbers or the All Terrain TA's?

(OP-Sorry to sorta highjack your thread)

Neighland
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:45 PM
I'm with Catonlap, I love the Michelin's I think they are the ltx's as well. I've had good luck with Michelin's over the years...got 80K on my old explorer, and I *think* they are still on it w/the new owner. I put a similar tire on the truck, I'm not 100% on exactly which one it is, but could look, and also put them on my Expedition.

Also agree, buy the best ones you can afford!! :yes::yes::yes:

TheJenners
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:28 PM
Just make sure they are TRUCK tires, not car tires, and are rated for the load you need to haul. I have an F350 and I have a PNW tire company's brand of tire, specifically made for large trucks. It is not safe to drive/haul with under rated tires.
What brand? DBF just put new tires on his dually, and went with some that I think are local and are made for driving on shale roads for logging trucks, etc. Loud and hard, but supposed to last 100k miles :eek:.

Personally, I LOVE the Kumho brand tires (I say coo-mo, not sure on the pronunciation but scared to say it the way it's spelled). I had those on my F350, on a sports car, on the 6-h horse trailer, you get the point. I've had Michelin and don't like them; they didn't last very long and they threw rocks like a mother. Current tires are Bridgestone Duravis, and I CANNOT recommend them at all. They were new from the dealer so I'm stuck with them, but they get horrible traction in any kind of snow, worse than anything I've had before. Also, they throw rocks. I really hate that. If we had snow this past winter I was going to take a loss and trade them, but we didn't.

cssutton
Jun. 24, 2010, 06:18 PM
the best ones you can afford?

Seriously, the difference in handling and braking when I changed from the stock Ford equipment on my super duty to the Michelin light truck tires I have on there now was astounding. I think they are Michelin LTX-AT's.

You can not give me for free any tire other than Michelin.

Even on my horse trailer.

I had flat spots, flat tires, had to put air in them every time I turned around.

Put Michelins on the trailer and never had another problem.

CSSJR

draftxdressage
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:06 PM
I have Toyo A/Ts on my F250. I'm somewhat of a "diesel head" and spend a lot of time on truck forums and a lot of time around "truck guys". A lot of the Ford guys run Toyos, Kumhos, Mickey Thompson or Nittos. I do have BFG Rugged Trails on my F350 dually (they came on the truck), and they've been fine and do the job. However, I absolutely love the Toyos. I'm on my second set, the first lasted me 60k miles. They're great in mud, rain, snow, sand, etc. They're a little pricey, but IMHO they're worth it!

wildlifer
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:22 PM
IME, nothing has beat the Michelins. I've used them on two past trucks. I have something else on there right now because they came with it from the dealer, I don't really like them their traction sucks, but they were free. But the Michelins are worth the price -- those things just about dry rot before they wear out and have awesome traction. My next set of tires!!

Oldenburg Mom
Jun. 25, 2010, 08:35 AM
GO TO COSTCO. I just spent $660 for 4 tires, minus $75 rebate. These were for my GMC 250, and I needed 10 ply tires! Expensive!

Having said that, the last ones I bought from them lasted 75,000 miles—Goodrich and they balance and rotate for free, as long as they're on the vehicle.

IFG
Jun. 25, 2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all of the good info. It has Toyo A/T right now. Even if we make it through inspection at the end of June, I will still need to buy at least rear tires before hunting season.

LoveJubal
Jun. 25, 2010, 01:46 PM
BF Goodrich All Terrain Tires for me!

Great for everyday and some off-road, muddy show grounds, trail riding in the boondocks use.

OneMoreForTheRoad
Jun. 26, 2010, 03:21 PM
I second Jubal

I'm on my second set of BF Goodrich A/T

mvp
Jun. 26, 2010, 06:17 PM
I'm a little clueless but have been very happy with Cooper Discovers. Way off brand? About $150 each. 75,000 miles and have never had a flat. I think traction for my 2WD in Central NY was good.

Did my mechanic do right or am I missing something much better?

shortbusgeek
Jun. 28, 2010, 10:46 AM
I believe we've got Coopers on our F350 dually which is primarily road / highway driven and hardly ever sees offroad use. I'll have to double check when I get home. On the Excursion I have Goodyear Wrangler MTRs with kevlar. They are awesome in the mud. It really just depends on what particular uses you have for the vehicle as to what type of tire you need.

2bee
Jun. 28, 2010, 11:54 AM
I prefer round black ones, cheapest price on a brand name I recognize. Choose on/off road tread for the expected usage, check the air once a week, keep 'em rotated, most any tire will work.

IFG
Jun. 28, 2010, 11:58 AM
We passed inspection woohoo :cool: without getting new tires, so now I have some time to look around and price them. All suggestions appreciated. Costco is too far. The gas that I would use getting there would wipe out any discount.

CatOnLap
Jun. 28, 2010, 12:01 PM
never heard of coopers before, but if my michelins ever wear out, I'll check on them.

We used to use Michelins on our various sports cars and they were so darn good that when they got too worn to be road tires after 60,000 miles or so, we SOLD them to local racers to use as slicks on the track.

I sold my last truck with Michelins on it- they'd gone about 50,000 miles and were still in great shape and never had a single flat on that truck.

Continentals, OTOH< I've put two sets on my SMART already- they aren't worth shite in my book, and last only about 25,000 miles if they don't burst a sidewall before then ( yeah, replaced 3 of them for sidewall failures and they are the only company making tires for the SMART right now).

Seems there were a lot of light truck tires that got recalled in the last few years- BF Goodrich, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Firestone, Generals and Continentals were among the brands that were faulty and have been recalled. Most dealers at the time were replacing the stock tires with Michelins, whose only recall has been for a small number of motorcycle tires.

vineyridge
Jun. 28, 2010, 12:04 PM
I bought a pair of Toyo ATs for my 96 F250 2x4 because they were comparatively cheap and were available locally. I'd never heard of Toyos, so am glad to know that I got a decent pair of tires for the rear. Have Cooper road tires on the front.

shakeytails
Jun. 28, 2010, 12:09 PM
I prefer round black ones, cheapest price on a brand name I recognize. Choose on/off road tread for the expected usage, check the air once a week, keep 'em rotated, most any tire will work.

This, plus whatever that high load rating is "E" maybe? I can't remember. Since our truck is not a dually (I put cheaper tires on it) I want tires that can handle any load we throw at it. That's what we haul the horse trailer with, and the last thing I need is a blow-out.

wlrottge
Jun. 28, 2010, 03:58 PM
I shopped for a while before buying the last set. Dad is a BFG, TA/KO fan and has gotten 60k+ miles out of his last couple of sets.

The truck is a '01, F350 SRW, 4wd CC. It had American Prospector A/T's on it. Slightly oversized at 305-70-16. They were D rated and I felt like they had too much sidewall flex.

Since the truck is a 350, E's should be used in my case. I shopped around a even "tire stalked" when walking through parking lots. My last truck had Bridgstone 953's on it. I loved both sets of those tires but they stopped making them and I didn't like the replacement. I need enough off road capability to be able to actually go off road but still tow and be comefortable on the road.

I ran across a video where they tested the most popular AT tires by putting them on a range rover and driving them in a circle on pavement as fast as they could. They then compared speed, roll, circle size and tread wear.

I ended up buying the Hankook Dynapro ATM - RF10 still slightly oversized 305 E's (b/c the F350 sits 2" higher than the 250 and the bigger tire looks good w/o being redneck). Except for the moron's that "balanced" them, I've liked them. I think they ride well and don't flex too much. Had I not bought those, I would have gone with the Bridgestone Revo's.

monstrpony
Sep. 7, 2010, 10:55 AM
Can I have some input on how tires last?

I have Michelins on my F250 now and have been very happy with them. They still have good tread and I don't see any cracking or crazing on the outside walls. They have about 40K miles on them now. The down side is that they have been on the truck for about, oh, probably seven years. At least. (I know I have the paperwork in the glove box, I just keep forgetting to look up the purchase date. Can we say denial?)

Recently I've heard a lot about tires having issues after about 5 years just from age. Needless to say, I hate to re-shoe my truck if I don't need to, but then, I don't want to have an age-related blowout, either.

Any thoughts? Any chance these tires will last till the tread is down? I'm religious about tire pressure, but I don't rotate unless I start to see some wear that indicates an issue, which I've never seen with this truck (97 F250 PSD). It is used mostly for hauling on decent roads, and when I need 4wd in the winter. Otherwise it's parked on good gravel, but not inside (also not in strong sunlight).