PDA

View Full Version : Guinea lost his "wife" to an owl...

Jay-N-Jete'
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:46 AM
I had a pair of guinea fowl (raised together)...they were totally joined at the hip, went everywhere together, never more than probably 6" between them, as if they were joined by a rope!

So....to make a long story short, do guineas mate for life?
Should I get him another guinea friend -male or female?

Do darker colored guineas do better with predators??
This one was lavender and must have "glowed in the dark" to the owl. The male is a regular pearl. They had recently moved to roost on the paddock fence, rather than in the Locust tree...

Gloria
Jun. 24, 2010, 10:21 AM
So....to make a long story short, do guineas mate for life?
Should I get him another guinea friend -male or female?

Do guineas mate for life? Yeah, as long as the other is around:D. So no fear, go ahead and get him another one or two, or more. Male guinease can easily handle a harem.

Jay-N-Jete'
Jun. 24, 2010, 06:03 PM
hehe - I don't know if *I* could handle a harem of guinea hens!! My SINGLE female made such a racket when she hit puberty that she nearly had to go live at another farm!! I can't imagine several of them all going nuts at the same time!

casper324
Jun. 25, 2010, 11:08 AM
When our male Guinea killed himself in a horse watering trough, the hen's mourned for days. Really it was very sad. We lost the two remaining hens shortly there after........

I miss them dearly especially with all the ticks this season. I loved how all 6 would walk in a line eating everything they found.

hctjudge
Jun. 25, 2010, 11:20 AM
There has been a flock of 5 guineas (Ithink all hens) making
their rounds in the neighborhood for the past week. It's great
to have bug snatchers that you don't have to own!

One neighbor has 20-30 cats all the time so yesterday when
I heard the guineas carrying on, I hopped in my golf cart to
make sure a cat wasn't bothering them. They were just putzing around a tree making lots of noise but I'm glad I
checked. There are two white ones and three grays.

We also have a wild turkey that comes right up to us and
pecks at our clothes. I throw her horse feed but she just wants to visit. Strange. :winkgrin:

Yep, "mate for life" is like "until death do us part", then you
find someone else "for life".

Gloria
Jun. 25, 2010, 11:49 AM
Jay, you sure you don't want bunch of squirmy little cute keets around? I know I know their cuteness is really short lived and will soon turned into obnoxious screamers... Butttt once they are over that crazy stage, it's really not that bad:winkgrin: I have 15 of them right now and they actually turn into some kind of fun to be around. They no longer scream their heads off and I am no longer itchy to find a shot gun:cool:.

kinnip
Jun. 25, 2010, 12:07 PM
I suspect I have about 40 guineas. It's hard to tell once they've been released. If you have an incubator, shoot me a PM. I'll be happy to provide eggs. We get an almost 100% hatch rate. In small numbers they're cute. In large numbers, they're fascinating to watch. They move like schools of fish, really loud fish. They do mate for life, but males will breed multiple females. The low dudes on the totem pole will follow around at a distance and may be chased off periodically, but it's nowhere near as violent as roosters or toms. Of all my birds, the guineas are my fave, excepting my special Turkeyman. (He likes a good cuddle.)
As for color and survivability, I doubt it makes an appreciable difference. Guineas are very talented when it comes to getting killed. I've lost pearls to predators, too.

Jay-N-Jete'
Jun. 26, 2010, 11:23 AM
I did really enjoy the two - other than the screaming at puberty and at dusk/dawn.. I enjoyed watching them work their pattern each day (2 laps around the farm) and how they stuck together ALWAYS!

Its a really bad tick year, so really appreciated the de-lousing services, too!!

I can't IMAGINE 40, though!! Do you live in ear plugs??

I *might* be brave enough for a small flock of them, though all reaching puberty at the same time, might be enough to make insane!!

yes, please! Send eggs!! I'm raising meat chickens this summer, so am ready for raising chicks!

Miss J
Jun. 28, 2010, 04:34 PM
They no longer scream their heads off and I am no longer itchy to find a shot gun:cool:.

lol is it wrong to laugh at that statement???:lol:

And what do you guys mean by 'scream'????

Gloria
Jun. 28, 2010, 06:18 PM
hahaha I take it you never had the pleasure of being the unfortunate audience of a out-of-tune broken guineas orchestra? Let me see.. Imagine a duck.. Increase the volumne three folds, turn up the pitch a little bit, and then times 10 or 20 or however many guineas you have, all squawk at the same time though completely out of rhythem. And then imagine repeat the same broken piece of music every time a grass move, or your cat mosey through your yard, or a bird fly over, or a plane fly over, or heaven forbidden, your UPS guy dares to show up. And then you get the picture.

Now to be fair, once they grow up a little bit, they start to learn that not everything is THAT exciting. :lol:

casper324
Jun. 29, 2010, 05:42 AM
I was talking to a customer who is a Police officer about the farm and was told that now the drug dealers use Guinea Hens as watch dogs in certain areas that have laws against bully breeds. So when a officer find hens in a urban area they know that drugs are close by.........

saje
Jun. 29, 2010, 06:58 AM
I'm contemplating getting guineas - this vid might make me think twice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kdQwSX7hvc&feature=related

Holly Jeanne
Jul. 14, 2010, 10:52 AM
I was talking to my neighbor about them last night. She said she didn't need to feed them in the summer and didn't really need to provide a roosting place for them. That true? I'm debating about them. If so, what would be a good number. You know, enough to help with bugs but not enough to keep you up all night. Maybe 3-5? I do realize they tend to be suicidal so might be subject to losses. I watched hers last night and they seemed fine with the cats and the dogs. All ignored each other but I realize I would have to do some training with my dogs. Don't want my barn cat miserable though.

stillhere
Jul. 14, 2010, 11:25 AM
This is my first time posting but needed to add.
We had a tick problem here so I got the book Gardening With Guinea Fowl.I got 8 keets 3 years ago I now have 5 the noise is minimal now . My horses actually like their company my dog was in on the raising in the livingroom for 4 weeks eccentric but fun. There is a site guineafowl.com.

Holly Jeanne
Jul. 14, 2010, 11:38 AM
Welcome stillhere! Thanks for piping up to help with my question! :)