PDA

View Full Version : I saw a snake this morning!!!!

fivehorses
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:23 AM
Some of you might know my curiousity and phobia about snakes. Curiosity to those of you down south who seem to like some smakes and encourage them in your barn.
I think I ask questions or make comments on every single snake there:winkgrin:

Anyhow, my horses decided to go through a fence line where its well, weedy and lots of tall weeds that they don't eat to get to a better pasture.
So, this morning I went down, in my bare legs to 'fix' the fence.
About 5' in front of me, Mr. Snake(about3') goes scurrying off. He stops, I stop, he thinks I can't see him, but I can, and thats how I know how big he is.
It actually made me feel a bit better knowing he heard/felt me, and decided to exit the scene.
He is only a garter snake, but probably one of the biggest I have seen.
My heart didn't pound or anything! I think you guys have worn off a bit on meA!:lol:

KnKShowmom
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:37 AM
Congrats on a peaceful encounter!

katarine
Jun. 24, 2010, 10:12 AM
I've stepped over 5' long black snakes that I thought were sticks :)

we've seen exactly one copperhead in 20+ years on our place. Lots of garter/rat/chicken snakes which are all welcome. Ok the one that wadded up between my Noodle Dog's bed and her bowl, scaring her to bits, ok that one was not so welcome LOL

PRS
Jun. 24, 2010, 10:20 AM
Most snakes are harmless to humans and beneficial to the environment. I'll never understand the "All snakes must die" attitude. Although I don't encourage snakes to take up residency in my barn or anywhere else for that matter I don't fear them either and will relocate a snake found inside or too close to my chicken coop.

Zu Zu
Jun. 24, 2010, 10:47 AM
EEEWWWW :eek: ~ I HATE SNAKES ~~~~~ all snakes ~~~~ SORRY KNOW I SHOULDN"T ~ BUT I HATE EEEWWWW :eek: THEM ! ~ KILL IT !" " l know not a very Optmistic post BUT EEEWWWW !

everafterfarm
Jun. 24, 2010, 11:00 AM
Glad to hear you had an uneventful snake encounter!

Snakes do NOT have ears so they can't hear you talking and such, but they do "hear" vibrations in the ground VERY well and can often tell if it's something big or small. They will try to get away from anything big, but if they feel threatened or cornered they will bite. I wouldn't worry too much and they are good to have around for killing rodents.

Having said all of that and being someone who has cared for many different types of reptiles and snakes, I do still kill the poisonous ones. I have had eastern diamond back rattlers, copperheads, and corals here. I am also experienced enough to be able to tell who is who so I don't kill any good ones. we have had a huge king here for years and i love him. They EAT rattle snakes!!!!

So, enjoy your little garter snake. he's a good guy to have around.

before people ask, the red touching yellow is a coral and red touching black is harmless!

pj
Jun. 24, 2010, 11:48 AM
I've stepped over 5' long black snakes that I thought were sticks :)

Katarine, be careful stepping over snakes. I USED to do that, my mare used to do that when I asked but no more (I'm not going to ask her.) I posted a few weeks ago about the black racer who actually struck at us when we started to go around him. From what I understand it was probably because it is/was breeding season but that cured me of steppin over snakes! I don't want either of us bitten..even if it's not a poisonous snake. YIKE.

Zu Zu
Jun. 24, 2010, 11:51 AM
Katarine, be careful stepping over snakes. I USED to do that, my mare used to do that when I asked but no more (I'm not going to ask her.) I posted a few weeks ago about the black racer who actually struck at us when we started to go around him. From what I understand it was probably because it is/was breeding season but that cured me of steppin over snakes! I don't want either of us bitten..even if it's not a poisonous snake. YIKE.
This ! is why I hate snakes ~~~:eek:

arabhorse2
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:05 PM
Hey, we've actually found something to crack Zu Zu's happy-happy-joy-joy facade!

Zu Zu, I hope you live in the frozen tundra if you're that deathly afraid of snakes.

I like my black rat snakes and black racers. Heck, I didn't even mind when a black racer baby got in the house and I used a broom to usher him out the front door.

If I have the black snakes around, I don't have to worry about the venomous copperheads.

Arizona DQ
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:06 PM
I was riding in the dressage arena and wondered and remarked to my trainer about the long "branch" in the middle of the arena..... then the "branch" went across and exited at B...... :lol:It was harmless, black snake..... the birds were really angry at it!!! :eek:

Mozart
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:52 PM
Snake thread... must look at snake thead......can't help myself....

deltawave
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:58 PM
Phobias by definition are never rational. Congratulations for surviving without the heebie-jeebies taking over! ;) And for every snake you see, there are a dozen rats that you won't, thanks to him or her. :)

gloriginger
Jun. 24, 2010, 01:32 PM
I am also very afraid of snakes, but have tried to become a little more rational about them after reading the snake thread here. I scream like a 10 year old girl when I see them. Last fall during a very rainy patch, a very small (6 inch) baby snake crawled through the cinder blocks in my foundation and ended up in my basement. He left, so I thought, but a month ago he reappeared. I secretly hoped my cat would take care of him, but the stupid cat was lying next to the snake as if they were long lost friends. So I did what I consider a VERY brave act. I put a giant tupperware tub over the snake- got an even larger one, and with a broom pushed snake and tupperrware into the larger tupperware, covered and brought snake outside via the bulkhead. Hopefully he will remember my kindness and not scare the crap out of me in the future. Peaceful coexistence is all I strive for.

DiablosHalo
Jun. 24, 2010, 01:36 PM
DH found a garter snake the other day (actually the cat found it and was stalking/pawing it). I told him to relocate him away from the back door. If I would have thought more- maybe I would have relocated him down by the barns so he could do some good! Of course- he was only a foot long so had some growin to do.

I've only encountered one black snake about 5 years ago- and whew am I glad!

Jaegermonster
Jun. 24, 2010, 03:30 PM
I am totally ok with all non poisonous snakes on my property. Any poisonous ones must die.
When we moved to our farm in 2003, we killed a couple of pygmy rattlers. A few years ago my husband killed a 4' timber rattler, and then we didn't see any more snakes until last July 5 when my dog Megan was bitten in the face by a 6' diamond back. Unfortunately she did not survive, but neither did the snake.
Two weeks later I had another one just as big in my barn, and that one did not leave alive either.
We did not see any more until about a month ago, my friend was in my barn in the afternoon and just as she let my mare in her stall for dinner a 6' rattler in the back corner of the stall started rattling. Thank God the mare has some sense, she just walked right back out, and then the snake came out and slithered off into the woods.
We have not see any since then, but you can bet I am very careful to look before walking into the stalls or around corners etc.
I hate to kill anything if I don't have to, and really would be ok with all of us coexisting peacefully if I thought the damn things wouldn't bite me, kill my dogs or god forbid bite my little niece.
So in addition to the goose gun (long barrel 12 ga w #8 shot) I keep in the tackroom, I bought a Judge with a long barrel that I wear around the farm.

monstrpony
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:06 PM
One of the first really warm weekends this year, early afternoon, i was driving out of our local trail riding location. There was a large black stick across the road, but it moved, and of course it was a blacksnake. I stopped to let it finish it's sleepy progress across the gravel drive, but there were two vehicles behind me who thought I was just ... stopped, for some reason. One tried to pass on the left, and one on the right, till they got to where they could see What It Was. There was also someone coming from the other direction, who had to stop because I had to move over before he could pass. Snake got the picture, what with all of these vehicles vibrating on the ground, and left. Had it not been a blacksnake, I probably would not have stopped ...

gloriginger
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:14 PM
One of the first really warm weekends this year, early afternoon, i was driving out of our local trail riding location. There was a large black stick across the road, but it moved, and of course it was a blacksnake. I stopped to let it finish it's sleepy progress across the gravel drive, but there were two vehicles behind me who thought I was just ... stopped, for some reason. One tried to pass on the left, and one on the right, till they got to where they could see What It Was. There was also someone coming from the other direction, who had to stop because I had to move over before he could pass. Snake got the picture, what with all of these vehicles vibrating on the ground, and left. Had it not been a blacksnake, I probably would not have stopped ...

Ew, I remember when I lived in NC there was a black snake as long as the road, someone drove over it and it wrapped around the tires!

I was shocked when I lived in AZ to find out just how many kinds of rattlesnakes there are...hundereds, and some will kill you in minutes. A very common practice was snake training for dogs- what I gather is they basically scared the poop out of the dogs so they would not have any interest in going near a snake. Fortunately the only ones I ever saw were dead in the road.

Zu Zu
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:17 PM
[quote=arabhorse2;4940763]Hey, we've actually found something to crack Zu Zu's happy-happy-joy-joy facade!

Zu Zu, I hope you live in the frozen tundra if you're that deathly afraid of snakes.

I like my black rat snakes and black racers. Heck, I didn't even mind when a black racer baby got in the house and I used a broom to usher him out the front door.

If I have the black snakes around, I don't have to worry about the venomous copperheads.[/qu
Not deathly afraid of snakes ~ rather they CREEP ME OUT ! :eek::eek: And I suffer from an EXTREMELY LOW GAG THRESHOLD ! :eek: Almost barf/yark when killing one BUT :eek: DO BLACK SNAKES ~ keep copperheads away ???? This :confused: if TRUE ? may mean a change in my handling of black snakes... ?????

Almost Heaven
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:01 PM
Must be snake post day. If you've got a black snake, you don't have poisonous snakes. Cherish them (and yes, they will strike/bite, but it's an infection issue not poison).

You'll always have snakes, you just don't see them.

fivehorses
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:01 PM
Oh Zu Zu, I don't kill anything unless I have to. Just because snakes give me the willies, thats my problem, not theirs. God put them on this planet too.

Now Jaeger, I can totally understand your desire to kill the poisonous snakes. I remember when you posted about Megan and then the sad outcome.

Anyhow, I truly do not want snakes around period! But, when they are out doing their thing, and not poisonous, then I believe in a live and let live.

But, I have to say, this guy was one of the biggest garter snakes I have seen, and I didn't even get one heart palpatation! Just a hmmmm, aren't you interesting, glad you felt me and moved off the path. Afterall, I knew I was in a snakey part of my property, but still, barelegged...I guess my fear is having a snake wrap around my leg just like a fear I have of a shark or gator pulling me under. Where do these fears come from!!!!

carolprudm
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:18 PM
before people ask, the red touching yellow is a coral and red touching black is harmless!

I was taught "Red and yellow kill a fellow, red and black venom lack"

ayrabz
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:34 PM
AH 2 --- HAHA!:lol: I was thinking the same thing about Zu Zu when I read it! I swear its the ONLY post like that she's ever made. She's ALWAYS positive, and I can always count on her posts. But Zu Zu, you made me LAUGH because I'm the SAME way, and yes, I'm a southern girl. My mom will walk over to em, pick em up, say, 'oh, he's a good snake'...blah blah blah....I agree with my dear departed daddy...."Only good snake is a dead snake". (sorry...I'm not that mean, really, just CANT deal with snakes)
Now, AH 2...I'd love for someone to chime in on this that would know about the 'black snakes keep the bad snakes away' theory, because I've heard thats not so....? That its only the KING snake (black in coloring) that will do this...not 'all' common black snakes?

TXnGA
Jun. 24, 2010, 06:58 PM
I don't care what kind of snake it is, black or not, it is going to die if it comes around me, my animals or my family. There have been too many times that I have come face to face with a poisionous snake to feel comfortable.

I've almost been bitten by a copperhead around the side of my house. When I screamed it went one way and I went the other. A few minutes later, it tried to bite my mom who had just walked out the front door. That snake didn't make it :D.

Next encounter, I had just gone into the barn bathroom to take a pee, and go to close the door (keep in mind this is a small very basic bathroom) and behind the door is a cottonmouth- Not thinking at 100%, I throw the door back open (effectively shoving the snake behind the door) and ran right out the door, right past the snake. Yeah, that snake didn't make it either. :D

Then there was my dog who got bit by a cottonmouth and died. And the green racer that my dad caught and ended up biting both him and my brother and they ended up in hospital.

And then my brother's pet snake who got loose mutiple times in the house, found it once in my mom's bathroom and the other time in my shoe as I tried to put it on.

So needless to say- I HATE SNAKES. Luckily, DH does too and is as scared of them as I am. I am of the nature, kill the snake, ask questions later.

gloriginger
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:05 PM
AH 2 --- HAHA!:lol: I was thinking the same thing about Zu Zu when I read it! I swear its the ONLY post like that she's ever made. She's ALWAYS positive, and I can always count on her posts. But Zu Zu, you made me LAUGH because I'm the SAME way, and yes, I'm a southern girl. My mom will walk over to em, pick em up, say, 'oh, he's a good snake'...blah blah blah....I agree with my dear departed daddy...."Only good snake is a dead snake". (sorry...I'm not that mean, really, just CANT deal with snakes)
Now, AH 2...I'd love for someone to chime in on this that would know about the 'black snakes keep the bad snakes away' theory, because I've heard thats not so....? That its only the KING snake (black in coloring) that will do this...not 'all' common black snakes?

You should check out the beastiality thread where she threatens to kill the guy with a butter knife, ZUZU is all fired up today! ;)

wildlifer
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:17 PM
All species of king snake do feed exclusively on other snakes, venemous and otherwise. Some king snakes, like the eastern king are primarily black with small white bands. Black rat snakes (often solid black) and black racers (black) are primarily rodent eaters. All are nonvenemous, harmless creatures.

dalpal
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:28 PM
One of these come slithering across the barn driveway in front of my car a few weeks ago. I always see the black rat snakes..but this was a first for me...so I had to go home and look it up....

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects/herpcons/herps_of_nc/snakes/Lamcal/Lam_cal.html

My dog is pretty stupid around snakes....his last encounter was a black rat snake lunging in the air at him. I guess he really has been watching every time my husband is watching THE MATRIX (everytime it's on TV)...because he sure did pull a Neo move when that snake lunged off the ground. :lol: Then the little booger (about three feet long)...sat there in defense mode with the look of..."Yeah, Dorothy..bring it, I'll get you and your little dog too." :lol: I couldn't help but giggle.

Zu Zu
Jun. 24, 2010, 08:05 PM
You should check out the beastiality thread where she threatens to kill the guy with a butter knife, ZUZU is all fired up today! ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Ghazzu
Jun. 24, 2010, 08:16 PM
I was dismayed when I went to pick up my trailer after having some bodywork done on it to have the guys at the shop tell me that 3 garter snakes had emerged from it while it was there.

I wish they had left before I moved it...

At least I know the tackroom milk snake is still around--I saw him a couple days ago.

horseshrink
Jun. 24, 2010, 08:29 PM
Argghh!! I've been telling myself all day, "I'm not going to open this thread....I'm not going to open this thread."

Too much temptation.

Now, thanks to Ghazzu, I don't know how I will ever be able to put horses in my trailer again. Since my feet are up in the chair under me, my skin is crawling, and I can't move, I told DH to get out there right now and check EVERY square inch of the trailer front to back, top to bottom.

Yikes...one more thing to worry about.

Zu Zu
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:03 PM
[quote=fivehorses;4941420]Oh Zu Zu, I don't kill anything unless I have to. Just because snakes give me the willies, thats my problem, not theirs. God put them on this planet too.

I don't want to be a "SNAKE -Hate-er" :no: but am worried about my cats playing with them and getting bitten !:eek:

Tom Bloomer
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:13 PM
Snake thread... must look at snake thead......can't help myself....
Me too.

I think I'll go eat an apple. :cool:

Tom Bloomer
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:16 PM
[quote=fivehorses;4941420]I don't want to be a "SNAKE -Hate-er" :no: but am worried about my cats playing with them and getting bitten !:eek:
Get yourself a Texas rabbit . . .

http://www.poormojo.org/love/2007/01/texas_rabbit_owns_snake.html

fivehorses
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hey Tom,not sure how you did that, but that was ZU ZU's post you were quoting not mine.

ridingagain
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:25 PM
I'm totally creeped out by snakes, however... I will kill the copperheads I find in my yard - 2 so far in 5 yrs. Just afraid they might bite my dog or cat...other than that I leave other snakes alone - those copperheads are mean suckers!

gloriginger
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:46 PM
I'm totally creeped out by snakes, however... I will kill the copperheads I find in my yard - 2 so far in 5 yrs. Just afraid they might bite my dog or cat...other than that I leave other snakes alone - those copperheads are mean suckers!

Holy crap- you are brave! How do you kill them? I would have to have a 10 foot pole to even think about it...

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:50 PM
fivehorses - I'm so proud of you!:cool::yes:

Remember - chicks dig snakes.:yes: Even chicks who don't know it yet.:D It's in your nature.:)

Tom - :lol:

fivehorses
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:58 PM
I thought you would be paintmisbehavin. :D:D:D
But, no, I don't see myself getting cozy with any snakes, just tolerating them, as long as they don't give me a surprise. Poisonous ones, hate to kill them, don't want the karma on that either, but probably would have someone 'remove' them.

Yes, I was so proud, and I thought, hah, must be all the desensitizing from all the snake coth threads.:yes:

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jun. 24, 2010, 10:06 PM
Toleration:winkgrin: is a big step forward.

Surprise snakes freak everyone out. At least briefly. I remember finding escapee snakes amonst the grooming supplies in the pet store - even though I was always on the lookout for them, I'd have a wee moment of "oooh, snake!:eek:" before I grabbed them and stuffed them in my pocket.:lol:

I think I've read where even TwoJakes has a fraction of nano-second's hesitation before wrestling down a constrictor the size of her horse.:D

The big thing is you recovered from your surprise and weren't worried about the snake once you realized what it was.:) Well done!

MadeYaLook
Jun. 24, 2010, 10:45 PM
As a ex zookeeper I remember countless times at the zoo dealing with people who had snake phobias. Interestingly though so many had preconceived notions that just weren't true.
I think that the fact that you are dealing with a "legless" creature gives many people the "willies". (coupled with the bad rep from the bible but thats a whole different arguement).
Fact:There is NOT disease one that a person can get from a snake-Rats and mice however carry a multitude of nasties that are zoonotic to people and pets.
Fact: I've never had a snake destroy anything in my barn or house yet-rats however are extremely destructive.
Snakes will like other animals have a "territory" so when you kill one there is a chance that others are going to come in to take up the deceased ones place(This came from a very knowledgable and respected herpetalogist).
Yes I too hate being surprised by them but I try to remember during the warm times of the year to look before putting my hands in any brushy areas or flipping anything over where they might be hiding.If walking in a high grass or brushy area take along stick with and kind of tap it in front of you and look where you are stepping.
Remember you are a giant to them and if given the chance to escape from you and the situation they will take that every time.(even the venomous ones). Try and keep your grass short and areas where you and your pet frequent brush free or a close as possible(won't necessarily keep them away but sure does make it easier to see them before they see you).
The next time you experience "Mister Rat or Mouse"(with a bunch of his relatives) think about how maybe if you hadn't killed" Mister Ratsnake" maybe the rodents wouldn't have moved in.:winkgrin:

Foxtrot's
Jun. 24, 2010, 11:47 PM
My fave COTH reading is the 2Jake thread...so interesting and informative.