PDA

View Full Version : The new little guy :) a little brag

graytbmare
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:10 AM
Not sure if I posted this, but my mare had to be put down last month. Perfectly sound, no weakness, and broke her leg out in the pasture one night. Vet said it was the type of break that couldnt have been predicted or prevented and that nothing could be done. She was such a great horse and I was really a mess for awhile.

Then my trainer went to look at a horse for a very beginner client. I went with her to "test ride" him, aka flop around and pretend to fall off :) He was perfect for the client. While we were walking back out of the barn, she was just glancing in the stalls and saw him.

The barn owner took him our for us and Im pretty sure it took me all of 5 seconds to really like him. He's a 3 yr old 16ish h dark bay with no white except for a tiny star. Good conformation, bone, raced twice. Off the track for about three weeks, he pulled one shoe, the trainer pulled the rest and his feet were all torn up. Im such a sucker for his exact type, there was really no hope :)

We watched him go and tried him very very briefly because his feet were not in any shape for more than that. You could tell he was a little ouchy, but he did everything we asked. He is so observant and curious, and has a really smart eye that should belong to a horse double his age.

That was last week and all I could think of over the weekend was that little horse. Of course we were at Lost Hounds and his owner decided she was going to keep showing him to customers. I was a nervous wreck all weekend. Luckily everyone that saw him said the same thing: nice, but too young. So the pre purchase was scheduled and we went and got him tuesday so my vet could do it at my barn.

Despite the not so awesome shoeing job they slapped on him on friday ( think different angles on each foot, basically walking on his soles in back), he was perfect except for a slightly sore check ligament from pulling his shoe off. A few weeks of walking, which his feet would have needed anyway. Flexions and everything else perfect. Super boring, the vet said smiling. And she is known for being especially picky!

So as of 3:30 yesterday he is officially mine. I have a feeling he is the only horse I would have even thought about getting so soon and I am so excited to go slow with him. He has such a good brain and sweet personality with some curiosity and cockiness thrown in. I dont especially want to start competing again this year, but we might do an in-hand future event horse class with him just to get him used to being in a show atmosphere.

Just had to share and brag a little about him :)

Awkward during his growth spurt a few weeks ago, hes now probably an inch or two higher at the withers :)

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?pid=44069429&id=5503139

SueCoo2
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:41 AM
He is lovely, I'm a sucker for a bay! Good luck with him!! :D

pnalley
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:50 AM
has a really smart eye that should belong to a horse double his age.

That is what I call "an old soul"

Condolences on your loss, and congratulations on your new boy. That is truly a "when one door closes another one opens" situation.

Right on Target
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:51 AM
How exciting! He's a cutie!

graytbmare
Jun. 24, 2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys :) It was one of those oh wow moments when I saw him. He is so much wiser than most 3 year olds Ive seen. His spook is look at the scary thing then ooo lets go investigate it. And his new favorite toy is our indoor ditch, aka a tarp, which he likes to pick up and drag around :)

secretariat
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:27 PM
Whoo hooo -- ATTAGIRL!! Congrats & enjoy!

Zephyr
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:35 PM
OMG, I'm so sorry to hear about C, I had no idea :(

Congrats on your new boy, he sounds like he'll be a real superstar!

Sancudo
Jun. 24, 2010, 08:56 PM
I was a mess after my first horse died, and my next horse pretty much shaped my life more than any human has. :) He's the reason I am who I am today. I'm glad you didn't let the chance pass you by, and I hope he's a super special one!

Gestalt
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:12 PM
omg, I love the hip on him. And bay is my favorite color, the less white the better. He's lovely, congratulations!

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mare. Maybe she sent your new boy to heal your soul.

Mukluk
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:21 PM
So sorry about the loss of your mare. Your new boy is very handsome. Best of luck to you and have fun!

EventingJ
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:55 PM
wow greytbmare - our stories are very simular (its almost eerie). I had a grey tbxperch that broke his leg (long pastern bone) in the pasture (there was not much hope, I looked into surgery at cornell, and there was only about a 50-60% chance of him being pasture sound... after considering how much pain and high potential for other horrible things like laminitis, colic, etc... I decided it was not in his best interest to put him through all that).

I ended up buying a plain bay ottb mare.

Congrats on your new steed - can't wait to see updates on him in the future!

graytbmare
Jun. 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
wow greytbmare - our stories are very simular (its almost eerie). I had a grey tbxperch that broke his leg (long pastern bone) in the pasture (there was not much hope, I looked into surgery at cornell, and there was only about a 50-60% chance of him being pasture sound... after considering how much pain and high potential for other horrible things like laminitis, colic, etc... I decided it was not in his best interest to put him through all that).

I ended up buying a plain bay ottb mare.

Congrats on your new steed - can't wait to see updates on him in the future!

And its especially similar because Im living in Rochester and the new boy did his "racing" at Fingerlakes! How havent we met? Im at a barn over on Cannan Rd in Bloomfield.

Thank you guys :) Im hoping hes going to be a special one and Im thinking that losing Charlie was hopefully because I was supposed to have him. I cant not smile when he does his silly baby things!

DLee
Jun. 24, 2010, 10:03 PM
I think he's very lovely!

EventingJ
Jun. 25, 2010, 07:16 AM
And its especially similar because Im living in Rochester and the new boy did his "racing" at Fingerlakes! How havent we met? Im at a barn over on Cannan Rd in Bloomfield.

Thank you guys :) Im hoping hes going to be a special one and Im thinking that losing Charlie was hopefully because I was supposed to have him. I cant not smile when he does his silly baby things!

How funny! I keep mine at a small barn in Walworth/Macedon area on Barnes Road (we either have a trainer come in for lessons or we truck out). I'm sure we end up at the same shows, schoolings and everything else :)

wolfmare
Jun. 25, 2010, 07:30 AM
Oh, what serendipity! What have you named him?
I think it is a gift to your mare to have loved her so well, and be willing to love again.
Congratulations!

TBrescue
Jun. 25, 2010, 10:13 PM
Sorry about your mare.

Congrats on the new guy, he's very cute!

faluut42
Jun. 26, 2010, 01:13 AM
OHHH me like! Looks just like my mare!

scubed
Jun. 26, 2010, 08:55 PM
totally cute and looks a lot like my new guy (who oddly isn't a TB).

graytbmare
Jun. 27, 2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks :) His name is now Levi, given to him by our farrier :) He wont need a show name for awhile, but if anyone has any recommendations! He has progressed to walking over ground poles and went on his first trail walk yesterday! And also decided that apples are only okay if mom bites off a piece, feeds it to him, bits off a piece, feeds it to him.... silly boy :)