PDA

View Full Version : Super Pony

LaraNSpeedy
Jun. 23, 2010, 11:36 PM
OK so this pony I got a year ago. Here is the story in a nutshell. I was contacted by my friend saying she saw this pony on craigslist. He was ugly and surrounded by chickens and pigs and the message was he was for $500 and someone needed to take him because he was abandoned there after court appointed the owner and she is not knowledgable to have a horse.... so we go there - I get these messages a lot - cheap horses - free horses - but I decided to go anyways. I was feeling 'it'.

So we went - it was dark out. I asked if he was a boy - she said yes - I had to feel his body rather than look at most of it - he was skinny - looked a bit sick - and she said since I was the 4H leader, she would give him to us but my friend and I gave them $200 for her troubles. She had him dumped on her - she spent $5 on a halter and some hay and feed for 2 months but did it all wrong - not her fault... Anyways... so I have this horse I do not need and he is little. 14.1 But he has 3 socks and a lot of white on his face...

I named him Teddy after my grandfather and then realized Teddy Oconner graces a few of our walls at the barn in posters.

So I get him back to my place. I load him in FLIP FLOPS. I know better but I just told my friend he will load like I knew him. And he did. Perfectly. And 3 days later his gonads drop. He is a full boy. So I have to geld him. Then train him to just lead.

So 3 months later I get on this gelding and now a year after I got him, I take him to XC things. I have been doing mostly dressage and hacking around with a little hopping over jumps....He has never really jumped a course in the arena. He tends to go to fast (he walks like he is in a hurry even when tired).

But XC he is so much better. He jumps so awesome cross country. He jumps anything. He has only done 2'6" but he seems to not be touching his scope yet. I took him to BG 3 weeks ago and since he never did XC I intended to do the 18 inch course. We did the 2'6" course in the end and decided what the heck - lets just do it and he did. I will try to attach a picture. His issue is that he has no rhythm - he gets faster and faster no matter what. So in the picture - I am on his mouth.

I took him yesterday to school XC and this time I just let him go = jump and he basculed like a good little hunter and I did not hold him = he did take off a few times but I just let him find a rhythem - then - he just relaxed into the job but he was all sport pony. He is so much fun. Like - let me show you how its done. As if he is all trained and such.

I just wanted to share this and offer anyone with any sport ponies like this to share their stories. His name is now Teddy's Firefly because he was very shy to catch - like a firefly - and he flies over fences like a deer - and the state bug is a firefly...

http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.php?&aid=51822&add=1&created=1#!/photo.php?pid=948112&id=1630385075

LaraNSpeedy
Jun. 23, 2010, 11:50 PM
PS he is 7 years old not a baby. His testicles dropped late due to being malnourished or stressed or whatever.

luckyrock
Jun. 23, 2010, 11:54 PM
Dare I say you may be beating the $700 pony that I've read about!

Kudos to you for taking a chance; you must have really felt "it" correctly, because he is stunning! "As if he is all trained and such." Sometimes you've just gotta let them figure it out by themselves, looked like he did!

graytbmare
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:11 AM
This is one of those stories that makes you believe in Karma- you saved him from a not-so-great situation and he repays you by being awesome :) He is very cute and I really think I see a battle of the under 1k ponies brewing... :)

retreadeventer
Jun. 24, 2010, 08:22 AM
Do you know his breeding?
I know the Welsh ponies drop late, but he also looks sort of part paint, too. This is truly an awesome story -- he will go all the way! (Read that like Len Burman says it!)

Fancy That
Jun. 24, 2010, 01:06 PM
Wow - I was glued to your story! And he is SOOOOO CUTE AND FLASHY!!! More pics please.

Kudos to you for rescueing him, bringing him back to health, training him and finding the right kind of "job" that he loves.

Super Pony is right!

LaraNSpeedy
Jun. 27, 2010, 06:16 PM
He wants to go go go all the time. He cannot seem to wear himself out. Most days when I am done riding him, he is still as forward (which is often a little too forward) when he is clearly tired (looking at his sweat, knowing how much we did and looking into his eye). I tell him BUDDY just settle down..... so I have to look out for him as he doesnt have an off button.

So when in the arena, we just do a lot of flat work but he loves to jump - in the field he will settle down better than in the arena jumping. But because I am wanting him to settle and do things correctly, I had never done a complete course with him until we went to BG. And he was so great.

Since then, we schooled at Rojas where of the 4 horses we took - he was the one who went first over everything to give everyone else confidence. The biggest fences appear to maybe be 2'9"? It's a small unrec little eventing schooling show type place but lots of great training tools there. There are a few off the course we did - because they were banks and things that seemed to want to be jumped.

He was surprised when we went up the first bank that there wasnt a downside. The biggest questions at Rojas are not the jumps though. About 1/3 of the jumps go downhill. But he had no problems. THE ONLY thing he looked at and snorted were the two burros in a pen at the end of the course!

SueCoo2
Jun. 27, 2010, 08:44 PM
He is too cute and looks like a real jewel! You lucked up on a lil diamond in the rough!! Congrats! :yes:

rideforthelaurels16
Jun. 28, 2010, 10:09 AM
Awesome story - what a lucky pony, and lucky you for taking a leap of faith and having it work out so marvelously! You'll have to post more pictures for us rabid pony-lovers! :D

sch1star
Jun. 29, 2010, 09:19 AM
He looks super keen! It sounds like he was waiting for his person and you are IT!

I too have a sport pony with a not dissimilar story! Rescued from a backyard, needed 2 treatments to clear his lice, scared of everything, flunked out of a lesson program - bucking, stopping, spooking, barging - he was standing around doing nothing and had been for sale for more than a year when I moved my TB into the backyard and picked him up as a companion.

I figured I would put a little time into him, try to get him on the right track, and market him to a Pony Clubber.

It took a full year of groundwork to gain his trust and another season of mostly sticks on the ground to build his confidence but it turns out he LIKES this job! And he's really FUN.

He's now doing BN and will move up to Novice as soon as he starts thinking 2'6" is a little more boring. Tons of pix and some funny video on my blog (below link).

Congrats to you and keep us posted on your story!

Zu Zu
Jun. 29, 2010, 09:58 AM
Great story ~ love his name ! Enjoy ~ you and the pony were LUCKY to find one another ~ ENJOY !

LaraNSpeedy
Jun. 29, 2010, 04:13 PM
sch1star: sounds like this guy too. He was very skittish - you could not touch his legs or his nose. At all. But thank goodness no lice. Just a stallion. Skinny... etc.

I may take him BN this fall - recognized. And then try novice next year. He is pretty fit mainly because he puts so much into everything he does.

PNWjumper
Jun. 29, 2010, 04:32 PM
He's absolutely adorable! I love hearing diamond-in-the-rough stories. Congratulations on such a great find and for doing good by the little guy! :)