PDA

View Full Version : Bought a cowboy hat to wear around the farm...

kookicat
Jun. 23, 2010, 04:55 PM
How do I keep it on my head? :lol:

It was only cheap, but fits me pretty well. It blows off in the wind though, which is no good because I bought to wear while cleaning my paddocks, filling troughs etc.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Alagirl
Jun. 23, 2010, 05:00 PM
there is the Katherine Hepburn method: a long shawl :winkgrin:

or the other method, with a leather strap. I am thinking once it's good and broke in, it will stay put with the John Wayne method....

I hear the WP queens use hairspray on the forehead...(but their hats are anything but cheap)

katarine
Jun. 23, 2010, 05:03 PM
Stampede string :)

Set it on correctly- grasp it by the top just above the brm, then set the front of your hat onto your forehead, then settle it down onto your head. you can't start in the back and set it down on the front. Just won't work.

twofatponies
Jun. 23, 2010, 05:05 PM
I sew a little string, like a shoe lace, on each side of the brim above my ears - often you can sew it to the fabric headliner or inside of the hat, right where the brim starts. Then tie it on! :D

Or to be more trendy, thread the ends of both laces through a bead that is just big enough to fit both strings through. Tie a knot at the end of each lace so the bead can't slide back off. Slide the bead up and down to tighten it under your chin.

Or, use a headband like the kind of sweatbands tennis players wear, or a bandanna underneath, to make it tighter.

Beverley
Jun. 23, 2010, 05:44 PM
Stampede string :)

AKA, in these parts, a 'Cheyenne string.' As in Wyoming, where the wind festival lasts 300 days a year...:cool:

You can also hold hat over a pot of boiling water on the stove, moistening it around the hatband with the steam, then place on head and 'customize' the fit a little bit that way.

I will add that my brand new custom 100% beaver hat does not need a string, VERY comfy and fits perfectly...but I paid for the privilege!

kookicat
Jun. 23, 2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the ideas! :D It actually has a string, but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

Hubby thinks I have too much hair, so there's nothing for it to grip onto. I'll try the scarf under the hat and see if that helps.

It was kinda a spur-of-the-moment buy, y'know? Saw it. Liked it. Bought it. :lol:

Gracie
Jun. 23, 2010, 05:53 PM
I wear a cowboy hat, too. I've worn one for years and came to appreciate how well engineered they are for heat protection and ventilation.

Mine is straw for summer and came with the latigo to snug it up under my chin for windy days. If your hat doesn't have one, cut some 2 holes on the brim across each other (divided by the crown) and a knot each end of latigo in the holes. Be sure to go around the back side of the crown before knotting the ends.

kookicat
Jun. 23, 2010, 06:11 PM
Yep, I've only worn it a few times, but I love how well it protects my head from the sun. :D

Medicine Wheel (Ogilvie)
Jun. 23, 2010, 06:17 PM
Cool, Kookicat!
The string ideas are probably best if the wind is strong. But if you just want it a little tighter, try stuffing the inside band with a little kleenex. Another old WP trick ;)

Tiffani B
Jun. 23, 2010, 06:23 PM
As my cowboy exboyfriend liked to say, if yer hat blows off, it ain't yer hat. :lol:

All of my hats (top hats, derbies, western hats) fit fairly tightly, but comfortably. They never ever move no matter how windy it is or how wild my ride.

kookicat
Jun. 23, 2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks! :D I'm gonna try all of these things out over the next few days. It does fit fairly tightly when I first put it on, but once my hair flattens it gets a bit loose.

partlycloudy
Jun. 23, 2010, 06:37 PM
We used to run a little spongy weather stripping around the inside of the brim....

Equibrit
Jun. 23, 2010, 07:08 PM
You have to sweat.

ManyDogs
Jun. 23, 2010, 07:37 PM
Now you must practice this saying:
Big hat, no cattle.
= A boastful or full of hot air person.
:lol:

twofatponies
Jun. 23, 2010, 08:56 PM
As my cowboy exboyfriend liked to say, if yer hat blows off, it ain't yer hat. :lol:

That's going in my quote collection!!! Nice.

hunt_jumpfl
Jun. 23, 2010, 09:24 PM

Bingo...If it blows off in the wind (unless you've got a mighty strong wind) then it doesn't fit correctly. Cowboy hats very drastically in cut, shape, and fit so finding the right one can often take trying on quite a few. I buy them the same way I used to buy helmets - if it stays on when you turn your head to the ground and shake your head, but isn't so tight that it makes your head hurt - then it fits :D

Go Fish
Jun. 23, 2010, 10:58 PM
I always used bobby pins. But a good fitting hat shouldn't blow off, really. How is it blocked?

Straws tend to blow off more often than felt.

cowboymom
Jun. 23, 2010, 11:07 PM
It should be snug and fit correctly and yep, if it blows off it isn't right.

Thick to normal hair that isn't either fairly short or tied back messes with that though-the hat will only be snug on the outer hair and slip off. If your hair is gathered back in a good tight pony tail that's something for the hat to grab onto but loose long hair isn't a good "gripping" surface.

Tiffani B
Jun. 23, 2010, 11:55 PM
I buy them the same way I used to buy helmets - if it stays on when you turn your head to the ground and shake your head, but isn't so tight that it makes your head hurt - then it fits :D

This is my test, too! When I used to sell custom riding apparel I always had people shake their head pretty hard. If the hat moved at all I knew it wasn't the right size.

Sacred_Petra
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:36 AM
When you have a lot of hair, getting a good fit is really important. I had mine shaped to my head. Between that and my stampede strings, I didn't lose my hat at a show where the wind was so bad they stopped penalizing for losing hats and encouraged riders to remove their hats.

How you wear your hair is important too. I have to contain my hair as close as possible to my neck or it gets in the way. I find a low bun works best.

Sleepy
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:14 AM
I see that soemone already suggested weather stripping. A Western friend suggested that to me to use in my cheapo hat from Tractor Supply.

But like others have said, a good hat should just fit and stay put. Remember the cowboys on Amazing Race last season. One of them went bungee jumping and his hat stayed on. When I bought my good hat in the FW Stockyards, I must have tried on 50, at least. Felt like I was in that store all afternoon. I have a long oval head that is very hard to fit. (Yeah, helmet shopping is fun, too.) :rolleyes:

kookicat
Jun. 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
Well, for under £15, I figure it's not doing so bad. :lol:

Tried the scarf under it today and it helped loads. :) I think my hair is just too slippery for the hat to hold onto.