PDA

View Full Version : Studying for the HB rating- Update!

KBG Eventer
Jun. 23, 2010, 11:37 AM
I figured since last year I got such great advice on the C2 that I should ask about the HB now. I'm taking it August 6th and to be honest, I just started studying for it in earnest. :uhoh: I have the Pony Club cards, but I'm trying to decide what would be the best way to study them. Usually if I make flash cards for school I have the question or word on one side and the answer on the back. I could write on the back of these, but some of them pose several questions on one card. Should I just make duplicates of the whole stack? Use PowerPoint? Quizlet.com? :lol:

This rating is definitely stressing me out!

DefyingGravityEventing
Jun. 23, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hey. Good for you for taking the HB. And no worries, i literally studied for my HA maybe a week or two ahead of time and passed most of it (i just had to retake two sections, that i passed later!).

What I found the most helpful was reading articles on thehorse.com or utilizing the resources used by i think it is middle california region. They have their you-know-what together. Everything is organized by different sections - study notes, articles, etc. I found this was most helpful when trying to keep things straight. Like if you had a specific situation for influenza or strangles, it stuck better. I can't remember the exact web address, but if you search their website - it is sure to be there.

Also what i found helpful was a "study guide" some of the examiners had written and presented at a USPC convention. I found that via google.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=USPC,+HB+study+guide

Ha! I found most of it. Just search the internet a little, buy a bunch of snacks and caffeine and there you go!

But what is MOST IMPORTANT is to practice. Have a "mock rating" and go through things with an older PCber or someone who knows the standard and take the test. First do it in sections, then do the entire thing with this person.

Lastly - so much of it is practical, so don't just hide away in the house studying. Go out to a busy barn/ go out to a barn when you know the vet/farrier/dentist/chiropractor/trainer is coming and ask questions. Watch your coach give lessons. Are you seeing what they see? I thought I was being annoying, but most of these people loved explaining what they do and why they do it!

And if there is one section that you are sticky with, or want to learn more about - don't hesitate to find some article or book about it. (for instance, laminitis... i found a great book about all the different shoeing solutions for it, and was able to teach my examiner about them!).

If i can think of anything else, I'll add more later

KBG Eventer
Jun. 23, 2010, 02:49 PM
Woah! Thank you x1000 DGE. :)

The Mid-CA page is SO organized and helpful. They ARE on top of things!

laurelo
Jul. 1, 2010, 07:55 PM
The thing that helped me the most was making a study guide. And I am not talking about a measly sheet of paper... my study guide filled a 1" binder to the point of the rings popping open and the pockets splitting from the binder. I got tab dividers and made a section for each category listed on the test sheet (be SURE to reference the test sheet, and not just the cards. I know a girl who thought everything was on the cards and failed her test because she hadn't studied about half the information). Then, just go through and type up everything you could possibly say about the topic. That way, when you are quizzing yourself or having someone else listen to you, there is an easy way to check that your answers are right- heck, I even refer to my study guide every once in a while now! It really is an excellent resource. Plus, if you go over-the-top on details, it will be nothing but helpful for the HB AND you can use the same study guide for the HA without having to edit too much.

The cards are really your best bet other than that- after you've gone through and typed everything up, you should find that you don't need to write it on the back of the card... most of it should stick in your brain after you read it, write it, and read it again. If it doesn't, then have your study guide for reference.

You can also make some of your own cards, which is something that really helped me for sections like poisonous plants.

Good luck! The HB is really not as challenging as you think it will be. The knowledge is all very practical and is stuff that you probably deal with more than you realize. Most of your jitters will come from taking your first national test (assuming you aren't a C+, lol).

technopony
Jul. 1, 2010, 08:52 PM
For the HB, if you can answer all the questions on your cards, you'll be ok. I wrote the answers on the backs of the cards, for the ones that fit into that format. Make sure a national examiner (if you have one available) or an older PCer who has taken the rating checks over your conditioning schedule, record book and lesson plan. Know your poisonous plants - you can make flashcards with the picture on the front and the name & information on the back.

Good luck! Some of the stuff on the cards is sort of obscure, especially in the tack section. You can look a lot of it up online, but if you draw a card at the rating and they don't have the piece of tack, you will get to draw another card.

shea'smom
Jul. 1, 2010, 10:00 PM
Just to be clear, the cards do not cover all the sections. It may sound simple, but read the standard carefully. Practice your teaching and taking the vital signs, plus look at teeth, practice the shoe removal.
Where are you taking it?

eSpresso
Jul. 1, 2010, 11:34 PM
I took my HB two years ago and did not pass because of the conditioning schedule. Whatever you do, DO NOT follow the guidelines the USPC sends to you for the conditioning schedule.

I followed it, thinking it was a general workout that I had to put together to have fit, healthy horses, and when I went to my testing the examiner laughed in my face, basically. She wanted something that "If I were to be abducted by aliens, she would be able to pick up exactly where I was and continue the program as if nothing had happened."

Also, you have to tailor it to your horse, so if you have a heavier horse, what might you do different than having a thoroughbred who is easy to keep fit? My examiners issue was that I had a conditioning schedule meant for a horse going prelim, but I wasn't competing at that level. Even though I explained to that I liked to have my horses more fit, she wouldn't hear it.

Know the HB cards inside and out! Ask your pony club if they will order a copy so you can study!
Good Luck!

KBG Eventer
Jul. 2, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm confused about the cards. I thought they use the cards during the rating? Like for nutrition, each person chooses a grain, a hay, and bedding to "identify and evaluate" it addressing availability, cost, pros/cons, etc. Then each person draws an A card (Nutrient) and two B cards (Rules of Feeding). What information is not in the cards? I'm making a study guide too, but I'm going to use the cards as well. I bought them two years ago while I was at the KHP for a rally.

eSpresso, I think the way you are describing what the examiner said is how PC explains the conditioning schedule but maybe I'm confused. My horse was sick, and I will only have 6 weeks when he comes home this weekend. So I talked to my DC, and my plan right now is just start riding my horse and keep track of what I'm doing with him on a calendar. I'm going to make a plan with my vet and trainer. He was fit before this, but he lost a lot of muscle. It's probably not going to be a "normal" Novice/Training level schedule. And the last two weeks will just have to be what I'm *planning* to do with him.

The rating is in Birmingham, AL.

laurelo
Jul. 2, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm confused about the cards. I thought they use the cards during the rating? Like for nutrition, each person chooses a grain, a hay, and bedding to "identify and evaluate" it addressing availability, cost, pros/cons, etc. Then each person draws an A card (Nutrient) and two B cards (Rules of Feeding). What information is not in the cards? I'm making a study guide too, but I'm going to use the cards as well. I bought them two years ago while I was at the KHP for a rally.

They do use the cards for the test, and there is no extra information you will be expected to know from any section that has cards. However, there are certain things that you need to know that do not have cards (for example, how to fit a bridle, toxic plants, and various other things). Everything you will be tested over is in the test sheet, but it might not be in the cards.

eSpresso, I think the way you are describing what the examiner said is how PC explains the conditioning schedule but maybe I'm confused. My horse was sick, and I will only have 6 weeks when he comes home this weekend. So I talked to my DC, and my plan right now is just start riding my horse and keep track of what I'm doing with him on a calendar. I'm going to make a plan with my vet and trainer. He was fit before this, but he lost a lot of muscle. It's probably not going to be a "normal" Novice/Training level schedule. And the last two weeks will just have to be what I'm *planning* to do with him.

I agree with eSpresso- do NOT follow the conditioning schedule that USPC sends you. I was given the sample schedule from a national examiner as a "what-not-to-do," and told that if I showed up at a national test with that, there was no way I would meet standards. Luckily, I already had a pretty in-detail conditioning schedule and didn't have to change anything, and I got exceeds. So you don't have to follow any PC formula to do well on the test.

You do, however, HAVE to have a conditioning schedule for the time specified (I think it's 8 weeks). There was a kid at my test who had only had his horse back in work for five weeks before the test because of a suspensory injury. Since he only came with five weeks worth of information, he didn't pass. What I did, and what the examiners told him to do, was to make a hypothetical schedule. In an ideal situation, how would you best prepare your horse for a hypothetical rally, event, etc? Make an eight-week plan with your competition at the end, and be sure you specify in your introduction that the schedule is for a hypothetical horse (which does make it a bit harder to make TPR changers, but you can just use old ones from your horse developing fitness or make educated guesses about how much the horse's TPRs would probably change.) Since you have one with your last two weeks planned out, it might be fine, but I would ask a NE before your test to see if it is alright. You might want to be safe and come with a backup hypothetical schedule just in case.

technopony
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:04 PM
On the conditioning schedule - just make it hypothetical. It's easier that way. I almost failed the conditioning schedule, but re-wrote it during the lunch break because I wanted to pass that day (you can fail up to 3 sections, I think, and be given the opportunity to re-test at the discretion of the examiners).

Write a sample conditioning schedule now, and have an examiner or HB/HA Pcer review it for you. I also have a sample one I can email you if you PM me. :)

The things that aren't in the cards are pretty basic (TPR, fitting a bridle, knowing how to pull a shoe but not actually doing it, the groundschool lesson). All those things are in the standard. So, basically, make sure you can do everything on the standard, and know answers for all the cards.

The main thing about the HB is maturity and being sure of yourself, as well as being prepared. If you're weak on a few points, you'll be ok, especially if you are very strong in other areas.

shea'smom
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:40 PM
Yes, we use the cards during the rating. What I am saying is something are not on cards, like the principal bones, tendons and ligaments of the legs, TPR, Shoe removal. Check the standards.
Does that clear that question up for you?
In the PC info there is a conditioning RECORD, not a SCHEDULE. You need a schedule for 8 weeks.

KBG Eventer
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:49 PM
Yes, we use the cards during the rating. What I am saying is something are not on cards, like the principal bones, tendons and ligaments of the legs, TPR, Shoe removal. Check the standards.
Does that clear that question up for you?
In the PC info there is a conditioning RECORD, not a SCHEDULE. You need a schedule for 8 weeks.

Thank you! I understand now. I'm still a little confused about the whole conditioning thing, but I'm starting to understand it better. What you just said cleared it up a whole lot for me...schedule not record...got it. :)

shea'smom
Jul. 2, 2010, 11:54 PM
Also, have you looked at the Upper Level section of the ponyclub.org website? Lot's of good info there.

KBG Eventer
Jul. 3, 2010, 12:00 AM
Also, have you looked at the Upper Level section of the ponyclub.org website? Lot's of good info there.

Yes, I have. It's a good source. I just printed out a whole bunch of stuff from Middle CA's website as well.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Duramax
Jul. 3, 2010, 02:05 AM
Hey. Good for you for taking the HB. And no worries, i literally studied for my HA maybe a week or two ahead of time and passed most of it (i just had to retake two sections, that i passed later!).

Sure am glad we have the retest now... :rolleyes:

KBG Eventer
Aug. 7, 2010, 10:50 PM
***6/7***

I passed except for one part- imitating shoe removal. And that was borderline. I don't know if this is standard, but they said they would tell us if we had failed a section at the end of it. Well, initially I passed, but she later changed it. I completely understand her reasons although it was still a bit of a bummer. It's an easy retake!

Okay, it was VERY stressful and nervewracking for me at times studying for this, but I also liked this rating the best in some ways. National ratings and especially the HB seem much different. Plus, I got along great with the other candidates, I loved the PIP and 2nd Examiner, and the organizer did a really good job. It was a fun group!

I got 4 Exceeds Standards: different types of shoes (An ES and a DNMS in the same section! :lol:), diseases and parasites, nutrition, and teeth.

Thanks for the help!

eSpresso
Aug. 8, 2010, 09:48 AM

It doesn't matter what your horse is currently doing. You can make a conditioning schedule for when your horse is in full work, or you can make one legging your horse up again. However it sounds as though you are on the right track, seeking help from your vet and trainer to build your horse up. Just make sure you can EXPLAIN EVERYTHING to the examiners!

I know one girl at my HB rating made a conditioning scchedule, and also grabbed a calendar and recorded on the calendar what she actually did that day, if she tweaked the schedule because the horse was sore, or she only had a limited amount of time at the barn, etc. On her fitness/ gallop days she would jump off mid ride, check pulse and respiration, and continue on. I don't remember if she did recovery rate, but it's an idea.

ETA: Didn't read the last posts and realized you did your rating! Good job!

shea'smom
Aug. 8, 2010, 09:13 PM
KGB, good for you!

EventingAislinn
Jul. 4, 2011, 08:58 PM
Im in Middle California region, and its true, we do have our **** together ;) Anyhow, I am doing my HB this weekend PANICKING!!!!:eek: Im solid on tack, diseases, parasites, and shoeing. I am restudying and cramming in conformation, teeth, and especially ANATOMY!!!!! Any helpful hints, etc?????

shea'smom
Jul. 4, 2011, 10:01 PM
NO panicking! Just symplify the studying and make sure you have every section covered. If you have any specific questions, ask. I am doing the HA there, so maybe we will meet!

EventingAislinn
Jul. 4, 2011, 10:39 PM
im trying not to panic, deep breaths, lol.
I do have a question. How in depth do the record books need to be?
Also, what is the date of your HA and where is it???? sometimes i go and help/scribe/observe ratings, so we might meet :)

Old Barn Rat
Jul. 5, 2011, 11:41 AM
I can help with that as my region has already done an HB this year and I've been prepping candidates for another HB this summer.

Level of detail: you should be able to leave your horse and go on vacation for a month, with no possibility of communication, and only your record book as a guide to the care and treatment of your horse. The level of detail is quite higher than the C2, and you are also expected to come up with your own format as you have no doubt noticed that the USPC template for the lower level ratings is inadequate at this level.

Things that ought to be included vary by horse, but here are some examples: If you board you need to specify what is included in the board. Is your horse in individual turnout or a group? Are there things he can't eat? Does he tie? Does he only trailer on the left? Is he allergic to any medication? Does he have any recurring medical problems like scratches? If so, what is the treatment? What stall does he live in? What paddock is he turned out in? Does he need boots for turnout? For riding? What kind of shoes does he wear - any special features? If he is insured, what is the insurance procedure for injury?

Check out Stormy May's Excellent Record Book Checklist on the USPC site - it should give you even more information.

GingerJumper
Jul. 5, 2011, 01:18 PM
Whatever you do, DON'T shirk on the conditioning schedule or record book.

In a conditioning schedule--which, for ease of use, I put in a separate tab in my record book(Tab? yes, I said tab. I made my own record keeping system.)--they want EVERY little detail. Here's an example of how I laid out mine:

(basic horse info here)
(goal for conditioning, i.e, T3DE on _/__/__, or rating, or whatever)
TPRs at start of program at work: At rest:
TPRs at end of program at work: At rest:

Week One--
TPRs at beginning of week at work:
TPRs at rest:
sunday:
monday:
tuesday:
wednesday:
thursday:
friday:
saturday:

For each day, it's good to have the conditioning plan for that day (flat day, jumping day, hack, etc.). Include the time for warm up, cool down, the work itself, details about the work (for gallop sets, how fast is the gallop? for flat work, what principles of the training pyramid are you developing? for jumping, what exercises are you using? what height? to what purpose?)

When it comes time for whatever you were conditioning towards, put in when you're leaving, any changes to the horse's diet you're making for that event, etc.

Also, when you change feeds and stuff, just make a quick note of it in the conditioning schedule. When I added electrolytes at an event, I added that into the notes on my schedule. I also added "return home victorious with unphased, super fit horse and happy rider" to the last day of the event. XD

PLEASE feel free to PM me if you have any questions! I've got some good study stuff I could email you as well if you'd like.

Also, somewhere on the PC website in the Upper Level testing sub-site, there should be a spreadsheet of what would MS, and what would ES in the HB testing. I found that very helpful as well. It helped me streamline my focus into what details they don't want to hear, and what details they'd find would show the depth of knowledge to a greater extent in certain areas.

Lisa Cook
Jul. 5, 2011, 01:40 PM
quick question in regards to a conditioning schedule. My son is taking his HB this upcoming Sunday. He designed a conditioning schedule for a fictional horse, not an actual horse.

He went through a mock HB rating with national examiners and the only feedback given on the conditioning schedule was in regards to how it was formatted, but no comments on the content itself.

That made him think it was OK to use a theoretical horse...but it sounds like here people are all using an actual horse with actual history?

There really isn't much of a conditioning schedule to use, if we use our own horse. He's BN fit, has been BN fit for a year, and is not going anywhere above BN any time soon.......

GingerJumper
Jul. 5, 2011, 02:05 PM
quick question in regards to a conditioning schedule. My son is taking his HB this upcoming Sunday. He designed a conditioning schedule for a fictional horse, not an actual horse.

He went through a mock HB rating with national examiners and the only feedback given on the conditioning schedule was in regards to how it was formatted, but no comments on the content itself.

That made him think it was OK to use a theoretical horse...but it sounds like here people are all using an actual horse with actual history?

There really isn't much of a conditioning schedule to use, if we use our own horse. He's BN fit, has been BN fit for a year, and is not going anywhere above BN any time soon.......

It's probably OK to use a theoretical horse, but it's generally much better to use a real one... That way, you can factor in potential injuries, the horse's limitations, etc

shea'smom
Jul. 5, 2011, 03:54 PM
You still have to keep the BN horse fit. Do a schedule that implies you are starting from a horse in easy work and go from there.
Appy, you do not need that much info.
this is for conditioning, not training, so no need to include training aspects like the TRaining Pyramid.
do included planned speed for gallops and TPR.
It is a schedule to work from, need to be real life, not extreme.
OP, I will be in Mid Call friday-sunday for the HA.
Will you be there?

EventingAislinn
Jul. 5, 2011, 03:57 PM
Thank you everyone for all the great info!!!! :)
shea'smom: I will be at 3 horse farm in pleasanton on saturday........

KBG Eventer
Jul. 5, 2011, 08:49 PM
Lisa, my horse was recovering from EPM when I did my rating, and I had a hypothetical conditioning schedule.

Honestly, even after a long discussion with the examiner, I'm still confused about what exactly she was looking for in the schedule! I followed the advice given to me here as well as looked at an B rated PCer's conditioning schedule to make mine.

Someone mentioned needing to study anatomy some more. Definitely do! That was my worst section, and I didn't know it as well I thought I did. Luckily, I got by with a MS.

GingerJumper
Jul. 5, 2011, 10:05 PM
You still have to keep the BN horse fit. Do a schedule that implies you are starting from a horse in easy work and go from there.
Appy, you do not need that much info.
this is for conditioning, not training, so no need to include training aspects like the TRaining Pyramid.
do included planned speed for gallops and TPR.
It is a schedule to work from, need to be real life, not extreme.
OP, I will be in Mid Call friday-sunday for the HA.
Will you be there?

When I was prepping, every NE I studied under wanted that as a baseline, pretty much basic conditioning schedule, and they wanted details on the rides and the training in each ride as well. One even wanted pictures of the horse each week to show the muscle build up.

shea'smom
Jul. 5, 2011, 11:06 PM
Appygolucky, are you talking about both the conditioning schedule and the record of daily riding?
You do not have to have pictures of muscle build up. It is fine if you do, but it is misleading to suggest that it is required.
The conditioning schedule is just a plan, and might never even happen. The daily riding record will reflect what actually happens.
It sound like you went above and beyond, way past the requirements.

GingerJumper
Jul. 6, 2011, 08:31 AM
Appygolucky, are you talking about both the conditioning schedule and the record of daily riding?
You do not have to have pictures of muscle build up. It is fine if you do, but it is misleading to suggest that it is required.
The conditioning schedule is just a plan, and might never even happen. The daily riding record will reflect what actually happens.
It sound like you went above and beyond, way past the requirements.

The conditioning schedule! I now feel like an overachiever... Except that the folks I studied with thought that was barely enough to scrape by a rating with. I wonder what their record books looked like.. :eek:

Also, I didn't say the pictures were mandatory. I said one person I studied with thought they were pretty much a dealbreaker when it came to a conditioning schedule.

When I was prepping... One even wanted pictures of the horse each week to show the muscle build up.

No where in there did I say that those were the official guidelines or that I actually did that (because I didn't) so I don't find it to be misleading at all.

EventingAislinn
Jul. 6, 2011, 03:05 PM
Well, Im hoping my record book is going to pass. Yesterday, i forced my D2 younger brother to read it. He said, "Whoa. I think if you fell off a cliff and died and we used this to take care of Devon (my horse), he wouldnt even know the difference." Gotta love brothers :winkgrin:

GingerJumper
Jul. 6, 2011, 05:55 PM
Well, Im hoping my record book is going to pass. Yesterday, i forced my D2 younger brother to read it. He said, "Whoa. I think if you fell off a cliff and died and we used this to take care of Devon (my horse), he wouldnt even know the difference." Gotta love brothers :winkgrin:

Hahah I love how brothers always want to make up the specifics of how the sister dies... Mine normally goes with "hit by car/truck/hovercraft/UFO." XD

Old Barn Rat
Jul. 7, 2011, 09:16 AM
Several of the candidates at our rating had hypothetical conditioning schedules - they are H/J riders who consistently ride 5-6 days a week and show year round. Their horses had not been injured, so there were no changes to report.

It may help to think of it this way: the point of the conditioning schedule is to demonstrate that the candidate understands the principles of progressive loading, the difference between developing skills and developing muscular and cardiovascular fitness, and is able to monitor changes to all three.

chism
Jul. 7, 2011, 01:21 PM
Someone mentioned needing to study anatomy some more. Definitely do! That was my worst section, and I didn't know it as well I thought I did. Luckily, I got by with a MS.

Definitely do... my 14 yr old daughter studied her little *** off, we had bought the study cards from the PC bookstore. She knew pretty much everything on them. Someone told us that if it wasn't in the cards, it wasn't going to be asked, so we thought she was pretty well prepared. Not true......anatomy is not in the cards, and it was asked,.. she had to know the bones, tendons & ligaments in the lower leg. She learned it on the spot, managed to get about 95% of it the day of the testing, but got two bones mixed up, so had to re-take that part another day.

Old Barn Rat
Jul. 7, 2011, 10:38 PM
It's true - the cards are used in the rating, but the standard is your study guide! All of the topics that will be covered in the rating are written in the standard.

I like the HB rating because the information you are asked to know is extremely practical and applicable to everyday horsemanship.

EventingAislinn
Jul. 8, 2011, 07:41 PM
I have a quick question:
On the standard, it says to have a worming schedule. Is this separate from the one in your record book?

CallMeGrace
Jul. 9, 2011, 10:16 AM
OK, I am sitting home here while my daughter is taking her HB today. I felt pretty good about it until I read this thread, now I am PANICKING!!!! :-0

eventerchick517
Jul. 9, 2011, 05:13 PM
I also have a quick question...

Does someone have a H-B or H-A Level record book that I could take a look at(via email)? I have my own record keeping system but I don't feel like I have enough information and I'd like to see what everybody else has. I'm planning on taking my H-B sometime this fall.

CallMeGrace
Jul. 9, 2011, 07:13 PM
Eight candidates, and one passed. The other seven failed the toxic plants section, which they will all have to retake. Two long days of testing....some are discouraged!

Lisa Cook
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:29 AM
Call Me Grace - are you in Central New England Region? I heard a lot of trouble with toxic plants with yesterday's HB group.

My son is testing today....just got back from dropping him off. His unmounted lesson that he is teaching is on the topic of toxic plants, so I'm hoping that will help him....

Lisa Cook
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:30 AM

Does someone have a H-B or H-A Level record book that I could take a look at(via email)? I have my own record keeping system but I don't feel like I have enough information and I'd like to see what everybody else has. I'm planning on taking my H-B sometime this fall.

What is your e-mail? You can PM if you want.

CallMeGrace
Jul. 10, 2011, 10:10 AM
No, we are in Midsouth. Fingers crossed we don't have to drive to Ohio to retake that one piece! :eek:

KBG Eventer
Jul. 10, 2011, 01:48 PM
No, we are in Midsouth. Fingers crossed we don't have to drive to Ohio to retake that one piece! :eek:

Are you sure she couldn't do that section by phone? I know the NE at my test told us there was several sections we could redo by phone. Do you have any PC examiners in your area? I wonder if a PC examiner, even if they weren't a NE, could sit in on the conversation and vouch that she wasn't cheating (not saying she would but...you know what I mean).

Our NE also offered to let people redo sections before they left. Are you still there? Could she study a little bit and pass before they leave?

CallMeGrace
Jul. 10, 2011, 02:40 PM
They ran over time - by about an hour and a half - so they couldn't even get feedback. My daughter's trainer is a national examiner so we are hoping that it will be approved that they can do a conference call for the kids from out of town and the locals to retest that section.
I think it will work, because most of them will be at an event next weekend when the testing in Ohio is happening, so they won't be able to attend. Otherwise, an expensive lesson!

Lisa Cook
Jul. 10, 2011, 06:53 PM

As a followup....my son's record book received an "exceeds standards" today. :) Happy to forward to whomever would like to use it as reference.

I<3Sleepy
Jul. 10, 2011, 09:40 PM
I'd love to take a peek at it, Lisa!:)

LEL
Jul. 10, 2011, 09:44 PM
As a followup....my son's record book received an "exceeds standards" today. :) Happy to forward to whomever would like to use it as reference.

I'd love to see it Lisa!

EventingAislinn
Jul. 11, 2011, 12:44 AM
I passed!!!!!!!!!! All 7 candidates in the Middle California HB test passed by the end of the day, although over half had to retake sections. I would be happy to send anyone my record book, the NEs said it was "beyond what we are looking for at this level" :) I also got an exceeds standards in shoeing, and can help anyone with little tricks in that......let me know :)
And thank you to everyone on here who helped me get my rating! :winkgrin:

mosmom
Jul. 11, 2011, 08:21 AM
I'd love to see it Lisa!

Thanks to everyone here my son also received an Exceed Standards on his Record Book and his Unmounted Lesson.

CallMeGrace
Jul. 11, 2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks to everyone here my son also received an Exceed Standards on his Record Book and his Unmounted Lesson.
Congratulations!

Coeur*de*Cheval
Jul. 11, 2011, 05:54 PM
Eight candidates, and one passed. The other seven failed the toxic plants section, which they will all have to retake. Two long days of testing....some are discouraged!

That's too bad :( at my HB we had 7 or 8 and everyone passed. It made for dor a great weekend. At least more than one failed so it wasn't just one. We had that happen to a girl in our region twice-only one who failed, yes she should have done a bunch more studying but we still felt bad.

CallMeGrace
Jul. 11, 2011, 06:02 PM
That's too bad :( at my HB we had 7 or 8 and everyone passed. It made for dor a great weekend. At least more than one failed so it wasn't just one. We had that happen to a girl in our region twice-only one who failed, yes she should have done a bunch more studying but we still felt bad.

Well, for me it was a typical PC experience. I drove one of the examiners to the airport and she said the group was the best prepared, most presentable and respectful group she had ever tested. I haven't spoken to anyone who was there those days, but if that's the case how could every one of them fail the same thing? Doesn't make sense to me. But, the kids are philosophical about it and are waiting for the decision about retaking the section. Hopefully it will be as easy and effortless as the section deserves.

Lisa Cook
Jul. 11, 2011, 09:32 PM

We had 15 candidates test in Central New England region over the weekend and 3 passed. Of the candidates on my son's testing day, the only one who passed is a college grad who is going to vet school.

The other 12 all need to retest - none outright failed. My son needs to retest on tack (blew a question regarding a balding girth), written lesson plans, and unmounted teaching.

The candidates had a mock rating in May with national examiners, and at that point, they were fine with his written lesson plans, and while they had some feedback for the unmounted teaching, they would not have failed him for it. So he was bummed out that at the actual rating, the examiners had a different POV.

But that is life. It is a good learning experience, and hopefully the re-test goes well & HB is obtained soon!

CallMeGrace
Jul. 11, 2011, 10:17 PM
I wonder if USPC looks at pass rates according to NE. That ratio of 12 out of 15 seems pretty tough. I know that preparation is variable, but really? the only person to pass in this weekend's test was a 21 year old 3rd year pre-vet student. Hmmmm.......

Anyway, we are still waiting to hear about the retest. It would be nice to have it over and done with.

shea'smom
Jul. 12, 2011, 07:16 AM
Yes, we look at pass rates. There is a very high pass rate at the HB. Have you looked at the Standards? Is there anything on there you think should be changed?
The candidate is responsible for setting up the retest. They should contact their DC, but then they must find an NE to do the test. The poisonous plants might be tricky, they need to identify 3 of 5 samples.
Good luck to all who tested. Hopefully they can all get through the retests.

CallMeGrace
Jul. 12, 2011, 07:21 AM
From what I understand, most identified all of the samples. Then photos were produced and they could not identify all the photos (there were more than 5).
As I said, my daughter's trainer is a NE and they are waiting to hear about "approval". Convoluted as always.

CallMeGrace
Jul. 12, 2011, 07:37 AM
Let me explain a little more about what I meant about pass rates - it is odd to me that the whole group passed every section except the toxic plants. That, to me, indicates tester bias rather than candidate error. However, it really isn't a big deal as I said. I think that it was more difficult for some of the girls but for some reason my daughter really isn't too concerned. Just hope she eventually gets a chance to pass so I don't feel even worse about the $300 spent for the testing. So, this discussion is motivated by financier bias, not candidate upset! :)

eventingismylife
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:46 AM
This thread has been very helpful, with a bunch of useful information, but I still have a few questions.

I am currently in the process of studing for my HB, which will take place August 1-3rd. Luckily I still have quite a bit of time. Between now and then I have to also take my C2 now that I have a horse to do it with, so I am also prepping for that as well.

I am now in the process of working on my riding log and conditioning schedule. Since I am working on conditioning my mare for our first Novice level HT of the year in about 9 weeks, that I should do it now.

How indepth does my riding log need to be? What format have you all used?

As for the conditioning schedule....I'm kind of stuck on what format to use and how indepth I need to be. I have seen some that are just charted out by the week and what they did day to day, and then some do that and include a written summary of the week. It is all so overwhelming!

Thanks for taking a look :).