PDA

View Full Version : "Tis but a flesh wound..." What would look the least bad?

yellowbritches
Jun. 23, 2010, 11:48 AM
On Sunday morning, Vernon misjudged his very rapid exit from the run in when coming in for breakfast and smacked his hip into the side of it. After his initial drama queen antics and my initial "WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE TO YOURSELF?!?!"-flashes of large vet bills- sure my season was over- moment, we all realized it looks like crap and stings like hell, but he was fine.

Basically, he scraped a chunk of hide off himself with a cut running through the center of it. No need for the vet, but she suggested a treatment protocol via texts, and we are healing merrily on our way. No worries, unless YB mis-directs the dressage whip. :lol:

Buuut, we have Surefire this weekend and there is much debate over what we can do for it so it looks the least bad at the event. After today, I will probably start using Aluspray on it, so there is that option (a big silver splotch right at his hip). Or, we could leave it naked (so a big, raw, nasty spot). Ooooor, we half joked about spraying it with Aluspray then spraying some hair dye over it. :winkgrin:

So, what's our best option? Unless someone has some miracle cure for growing hide back within four days. :cool:

cllane1
Jun. 23, 2010, 12:37 PM
You can get chalk or colored spray for horses and cattle at places like Tractor Supply. Shapley's makes a color spray, I know. I'd continue to use Aluspray as long as you can, then dab on some color before you go in the ring.

My mare had a big chunk of hide ripped off, just in time for Area IIIs, but luckily the saddle pad covered it in all phases!

kookicat
Jun. 23, 2010, 12:37 PM
I'd go with the silver blob. :) (You can get those coloured sprays, but I'd be a little wary about using them over a wound.)

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 23, 2010, 12:56 PM
My horse did something similar on his way to Aiken....He looked like the loser of a big battle...or survivor of a trailer accident (I had a few people ask). I just did the Aluspray. This isn't a beauty show.

DO NOT leave him with nothing....it will attract biting bugs for your dressage test:eek:

FWIW...I might just scratch Surefire. It's supposed to be 97+ degrees. And if the ground is as hard there as it is up here....not worth it. I'm waiting to decide...but it isn't looking good. Although in Prelim...you might get early times....although that doesn't help with the footing....

SonnysMom
Jun. 23, 2010, 01:06 PM
How about the Aluspray and then put something like Blue Kote on top? Or just Blue Kote. I don't think the Blue will stand out as much against a bay as Silver or pink wound would.

http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=2621

I wouldn't stress about it too much. You aren't showing in a conformation class, model class, halter or showmanship class. The condition of the rest of your horse will speak volumes about the care he receives so any real horseman will sympathize that $hit happened to your horse at that inconvenient time close to a competition.

KMErickson
Jun. 23, 2010, 01:14 PM
Definitely don't leave it raw; not only will the bugs get to it, but I'm always worried when my horse has a pasture scratch that the judge will see it and ding me for "cruelty" as, technically, any open sores or wounds can be grounds for elimination in dressage (though I think something that is obviously self-inflicted wouldn't count... but I always want to show that I'm doing my darndest to make it better!).

Ringo actually came in from the field yesterday with a huge scrape on his butt, too, which I can only imagine is from rolling on a rock or something :rolleyes:. My plan is to slather a healthy bit of triple antibiotic on it and claim it's a new white patch in his pinto pattern! :D

SueCoo2
Jun. 23, 2010, 02:40 PM
Kikki tried to get out of our visit with LC a few days before by scraping the #$%^&* off her rear leg. I was (like you), sure she'd need stiches and weeks of convalescence, however it was just a scrape and a bit of Alumspray keep it dry and tidy. Go for it! :D

Highflyer
Jun. 23, 2010, 03:23 PM
SWAT. The oldschool pink kind :)

If it's still raw, silver blob. If it's more hairless and dry, petroleum jelly to darken it. We've all BTDT.

yellowbritches
Jun. 23, 2010, 03:26 PM
I'm used to the dork doing stupid stuff and leaving me with things to hide (a few weeks ago he had a similar mark, right under the flysheet that was supposed to keep him clean...flysheet has a hole. Before Seneca, he definitely put his head somewhere it doesn't belong!). This one is worse than normal, though. I guess I'll play it by ear and see how it looks.

BFNE, it has crossed my mind to scratch. I'll have to be there ALLLLLL day on Saturday with novice and BN horses, so I'll be able to get a grip on what it's like. I do know that while our ring is concrete, the field we have our dressage ring set up is not bad at all. I keep hoping Purcellville is getting these random storms....of course, this is the weekend my mom comes down to see us go. :(

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 23, 2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah...I'm waiting for Saturday to decide...but leaning toward scratching. I have a long drive though...and part of my concern is being stuck in traffic in the heat on the way home...or having to drive through thunderstorms. And my horse that really needed the run...is hurt and the one I have still entered could skip an event and be fine still in his trainning. Ahh...the risks of entering a summer event.

yellowbritches
Jun. 23, 2010, 03:40 PM
This is the last one for us for awhile. Between the heat, the concrete, and our move, no point in entering anything (this one is proving tough with the move!). I might do Millbrook, but I don't plan on anything down this way until September...maybe Loudoun, but I have something else that weekend I want to do, too.

We're sooo lucky in this area, but the summers do make it tough.

Beam Me Up
Jun. 23, 2010, 03:50 PM
I vote aluspray. So much better (both functionally and aesthetically) than goos that melt and run in the heat and attract dirt. Also silver's kinda dressy, right?

Odie had a much more serious version of that injury (he had to be pulled through the human escape door of my trailer in an emergency--long traumatic story) and it took forever to heal. The scars actually still re-open in dry weather, 5+ years later. In retrospect I wish I had been a lot more attentive to the wounds (had to drug him to treat, didn't want to traumatize him 2x/day) than I was, as they would have probably healed better.

Good luck @ Surefire!

AppJumpr08
Jun. 23, 2010, 04:02 PM
Bluekote.
It won't run, and it won't be quite as obvious as the aluspray.

(I once had someone use Bluekote to cover up the spur sores they had put on my bay horse... and they weren't nearly as obvious as you'd think... they almost got away with it :no: )

BestHorses
Jun. 23, 2010, 04:19 PM
I love AluShield. My aerosol phobic horse hates it. :) After trying a few different things I found I like Well Horse, too. The nice thing is it dries to kind of a rust color which works well for bays. But if the scrape is really big it might just look more reddish and fresh-scrapey than a big shot of AluShield. You'd have to play with it to see how it works for you. Good luck if you decide to run!

FrittSkritt
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hey, Cass's rainrot and bald patches on his butt looked WAY worse than Vernon's scrape. Just put the Tri-whatever goo on it to keep the bugs away... ;)

yellowbritches
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hey, Cass's rainrot and bald patches on his butt looked WAY worse than Vernon's scrape. Just put the Tri-whatever goo on it to keep the bugs away... ;)
In the very astute words of the littlest of our riders, "Pa-sha!" Cass doesn't look THAT bad, and I think a little baldness is better than a big, pink, open wound! ;)

Catalina
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:48 PM
Bluekote.

:yes:

I love that stuff :). And, it does cover up hide scrapes quite well.

wabadou
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:28 PM
OT but I had to giggle when I read the title....HUGE Monty Python fan..:lol:
...ok, back to topic, hope it is starting to heal for you, their timing with the big showy boo-boos is just amazing !!

deltawave
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:39 PM
Cut out a stencil in a really cool shape, then use the Alu-spray to give him a bitchin' butt decoration! :D

Shrunk "N" Da Wash
Jun. 24, 2010, 09:52 PM
Cut out a stencil in a really cool shape, then use the Alu-spray to give him a bitchin' butt decoration! :D

Oh my :lol:

RunForIt
Jun. 24, 2010, 10:24 PM
bottom line: will Vernon be in any pain and will eventing this weekend stop his healing process?...answer that and you're in the clear. :D :cool:

frugalannie
Jun. 25, 2010, 12:25 AM
What Runforit said, but...

If you decide he can go, and he's brown, use that betadine/ iodine based dressing which will at least stain it brown while keeping nasty bacteria away ( but only if a little healing has started: I hate to use that stuff on really raw flesh). Or a little icthammol, although that may stain you brown, too.

yellowbritches
Jun. 25, 2010, 07:57 AM
He's fine. No worries. We wouldn't be having this conversation if he wasn't. He was jogged obsessively for 2 days after doing it and has been in work all week...jumped yesterday like a million bucks. It really is just a scrape, but way more cosmetic and ugly as hell than anything else.

dw- I've had that thought! :lol:

retreadeventer
Jun. 25, 2010, 08:43 AM
I'm not a fan of seeing a horse in warmup or the ring with an obvious injury or open wound.
In racing you'll be scratched if you present a horse to race with an open wound, and I've seen them scratched by the track vet for just a little view of some drops of blood where a scab was knocked off a small patch of scratches on the pastern.
I've seen horses scratched from big stakes races even, with a lot of money on the line, who got hips scraped in the trailer on the way to the race or cuts. It's a good rule. Racing has learned the hard way that horses must be presented to the public without something that causes comment or difficulty.

Don't put more pressure on yourself. If you have to explain all day that's not good. You don't need it.
Only you know if you can dress it so that it's not obvious or looking raw or open. It maybe healed enough by this weekend anyhow.
But that's my take -- I don't like seeing horses presented in public with open wounds. Some people don't like seeing things like that, it doesn't bother me (too many years working for a vet school and vets) but we have other people to be responsible for than ourselves when we take a horse off the property and out in public. I have a white horse that shows everything so I have to be particularly careful.

texang73
Jun. 25, 2010, 11:41 AM

This gets my vote!!! :D :lol:

Dr. Doolittle
Jun. 25, 2010, 11:59 AM
I'll be jump judging the P division on Sunday, so I will keep a lookout for Vernon and his "decorative flesh wound"...(Probably won't be able to see much of it from a distance, especially if you camouflage it with something ;)) You might want to put some clear Swat over it if the bugs are bad!

I had a student go to the AECs several years ago, and on the ride down, her mare managed to scrape a huge patch of hair off her rump, and cut her hock up. :( (She was riding in a slant load with two geldings, and was "offended by their boorish behavior", apparently, so repeatedly tried to move away from them within the confines of the trailer, scraping herself all up in the process.

When we got there, my student consulted with the on call vet, and he said she could get a gram of Bute with dinner (for the cuts on her hock), and suggested cold hosing and some Neosporin. He agreed that everything was superficial, and the mare was completely sound the next morning (no heat or swelling in the hock), but had a very large and unsightly "bald spot" (about 8 inches by 8 inches) on the left side of her ass. Like where you would put a checkerboard pattern. She competed like this (what could you do?, plus we had come all that way), and no one made any comments about it (well, except among our little group. The dressage judge didn't seem to mind ;)) It just sort of screwed up the aesthetics of any pix taken from that side; otherwise, not that big a deal.

Good luck, and I hope Vernon is a rapid healer!

frugalannie
Jun. 25, 2010, 05:02 PM
Oooh, ooh, I remembered the name of the iodine ointment: Theradine!

But then I had another thought: Dy's Liquid Bandage.

WNT
Jun. 25, 2010, 10:38 PM
It's like when the horse glitter came out a few years ago: you couldn't go to an event without seeing some horse with glittery shooting stars on its butt. Just cut out a shooting star stencil, and do one over each hip so he looks balanced. Have fun and stay cool this weekend!

Madeline
Jun. 26, 2010, 06:21 PM
This gets my vote!!! :D :lol:

Mine too!

oldhorsegirl
Jun. 26, 2010, 06:30 PM
Use 'Underwood Horse Medicine' http://www.underwoodhorsemedicine.com

It's brown, and it heals any cut faster than anything I've ever used--including deep and horrible gashes--a good thing to always have on hand.

yellowbritches
Jun. 28, 2010, 08:42 AM
Well, I actually ended up not doing much of anything to it, and I think it looked just fine (my mom didn't even notice it until after xc, and I think she had, at first, thought he'd done something on the course...she then called him a big dummy when I told her how he did it :lol:). I gave him a quick bath on Saturday night, I washed most of our layers of "tests" off of it, and all that remained was a light coat of Aluspray...between that and the fact that it healed so much over the week, it didn't seem too bad.

No one commented (I didn't really expect anyone to), and since he looks FABULOUS in every other way, I guess it wasn't too bad. Thanks for the ideas!

SueCoo2
Jun. 28, 2010, 03:27 PM
but how'd ya'll do?!!! :) And where pray tell are the pictures?!! :yes::D

Mor4ward
Jun. 29, 2010, 07:25 PM
OT but I had to giggle when I read the title....HUGE Monty Python fan..:lol:

LOLOLz ... same here - glad to see folks that know the Black Knight, who always triumphs, despite missing his extremities!

(anyone ever notice that the heraldry on his shield is a pig head?)