PDA

View Full Version : Heated barns/indoors

Dressage_Julie
Jun. 23, 2010, 10:17 AM
If you are in an area that is effected by a snowy cold winter, what is your feeling about heated barns and heated indoor arenas?

Gloria
Jun. 23, 2010, 10:23 AM
Ummm my feeling is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :eek::eek::eek: and possibly dust dust dust:(:(:(. Of course if you live in Canada, you might not have much choice...

Pennywell Bay
Jun. 23, 2010, 10:40 AM
I don't like heated barns or indoors and it was not a selling point to me when I looked for a barn with an indoor. I was looking mostly to get out of the wind and rain. Though it always seems like a good idea, if you show, not all indoors are going to be heated.

saddleup
Jun. 23, 2010, 10:49 AM
I agree with my vet: A heated facility is for the comfort of the people, not the best interest of the horse.

While nice, they can also be a pain if you let your horses get a winter coat and then have to dry them off after you ride them in a heated arena. Of course, now my horses all love a good session with a blow dryer.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jun. 23, 2010, 10:55 AM
I don't need a heated indoor, but like a heated tack room or viewing area to warm up in. My BO's indoor and the barn w/stalls (they are not connected) are not heated or insulated. However, attached to the indoor is an insulated area with a kitchenette, bathroom, wash rack, tie stalls and tack room and that can be heated. It would only be minimally heated though--like maybe to 40-50 degrees.

I find this to be ideal.

The issue I have with heated stalls is the ammonia and moisture build up in those barns tends to be awful.

2DogsFarm
Jun. 23, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hate
Them
:mad:

I used to show at Ledges in the Winter and came home every time with some respiratory issue because of the lousy oil-fired heaters.
My apologies if Ledges has changed those out for something cleaner.
Aisles were too hot, arena so-so.

My indoor - 60X120, 16'h at the rafters - is unheated & uninsulated & usable until temps go below 0.

Horses don't need the heat.
They are most comfortable around 40F.
Riders need to suck it up and dress for the cold.

Sport
Jun. 23, 2010, 12:19 PM
I don't like a heated barn because they usually aren't ventilated enough. However, enough heat in the arena to take the edge of the cold is nice.
I am talking just above freezing, not take your coats off and wear t-shirts type of heat.

aurorag16
Jun. 23, 2010, 12:21 PM
I have seen problems with improperly heated indoors. One I used to ride at would heat just the air near the ceiling and cause lots of condensation. The condensation would then drip into the footing and cause it to freeze. We ended up riding without the heaters for much of the winter because of this problem. My opinion, dress warm, and maybe insulate if possible.

sublimequine
Jun. 23, 2010, 03:49 PM
I would not board at a barn where my mare had to be in a heated barn or arena. It's not good for them.

However, having a small heated area for horse AND human is sometimes nice to have, although not required. I was at a boarding barn where the wash rack had a big red light heater thingy (whatever those are called :lol: ) mounted to the ceiling, and you could close off the area of the wash rack and the aisle in front of it, and make it warmish. It was ideal for body clipping in midwinter, or if a horse needed to be hosed/washed for medical reasons.

They also had a heated tack room which was lovely.

Now I am at a barn where nothing on the whole property is heated except for the BO's house. The tack room is insulated though so it's not too horrible in there.

BAC
Jun. 24, 2010, 01:22 PM
I have never had the opportunity to experience the luxury of a heated barn or indoor. I'm sure I would love it, although I think the horses are fine with the cold. I hate trying to ride and do barn work in all those layers of heavy winter clothing, I can barely move.

HOOF123
Jun. 24, 2010, 01:41 PM
you can,t change nature.

RedMare01
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:49 PM
I used to ride at a barn that was heated to ~40 degrees in the winter. It was lovely, still cold enough that you had to wear a jacket, but warm enough that your toes didn't feel like they were falling off. No problems with ventilation that I ever saw, but I'm sure it was designed with that in mind from the beginning ($$ barn).

Caitlin

Rhyadawn
Jun. 25, 2010, 04:49 PM
I live in Ontario, so yea.. we get snow and ice for a good 4 ( at least) months of the year. The barn I ride at most has a little space heater in the tackroom (where the hotwater tank is) and there are enough horses in the barn at all times that the water lines don't freeze (although if it's going below -20 we have to shut off the water and drain the lines. Real pain if you don't).

The other barn I ride at has heating, though they don't keep the barn above 5degrees in the winter, so it's pretty much just so the water lines don't freeze. Still need to bundle up.

I don't think I would like a heated barn or arena, but if it was my barn I would definitly have just enough for the water not to freeze. Anything more and its just not a healthy enviroment for my horse.

kdow
Jun. 25, 2010, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure about an actual heated barn or indoor (around here the barn was always adequately non-freezing just from horse body heat once it was shut up in the winter, and in the indoor you just bundled up a bit and put up with it) but one thing that is super-nice if possible is at least a warmed ROOM so if necessary people could go in and warm up.

(It doesn't have to be take-off-all-your-winter-clothes warm, just warm enough that you can defrost your fingers and toes.)

This doubles as a handy space to change without freezing to death in the event that your clothing gets extra dirty/wet/whatever as it may well do if you're doing barn work. (Yes, I did have an incident with a faulty faucet one winter when I was trying to top up water buckets, why do you ask? :D )

joiedevie99
Jun. 25, 2010, 11:20 PM
Our barn and indoor are very well insulated, but not heated- too many respiratory issues. The bathrooms, offices, and tack rooms are all heated- which helps the people without harming the horses.

dotneko
Jun. 26, 2010, 05:28 AM
Our barn is heated to 40 degrees in the winter.
Has been for 15 years. We love it and so do the
horses. When it is really cold, we have to push
them out the door. No respiratory issues here.

4Martini
Jun. 26, 2010, 10:17 PM
I boarded at a barn that had was heated and loved it. I think they kept it around 40 maybe. It was not hot, but no frozen toes either. My horse lived outside though, not in the barn. It was awesome b/c I would bring him in and pull off his blanket and not feel bad. He seemed very happy with the arrangement. None of the grumpiness of removing his blanket in a cold barn to groom and tack.