PDA

View Full Version : Fans in Trailers

DiablosHalo
Jun. 23, 2010, 08:37 AM
Not sure if it's ever been mentioned- the search didn't pull up much. I have fans wired in my trailer so never thought of this. Might be helpful now that the entire country is entering another heat wave...

My client just told me they sell battery operated fans in the camping section of Walmart/Target, etc. She uses them in her trailer-hangs them up with bungee cords. They work for about 10hrs on D batteries.

Not sure how much air they put out- but enough that she swears by them! Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone could use the idea!

Jleegriffith
Jun. 23, 2010, 08:45 AM
I just got my new trailer with fans installed in front of each horse and my goodness I feel like my horses are living the good life. The trailer is a at least 10 degrees cooler inside than outside and the breeze seems to keep the horses relaxed and happy. Went x-c schooling on a 90+ day and had to go school students after my ride and my horses were cool and happy in the trailer.

Now debating if I want to go to a 12-4pm x-c school when it's going to be in the mid 90's:no:

judybigredpony
Jun. 23, 2010, 08:51 AM
I didn't have fans wired in when I odered my last trailer 5 years ago.

I opted to use battery fans I got at Home Depot. And they work great bungee to grill opening from dressing room.
In winter I store in boxes in tack trunk build-in.

StellaTMK
Jun. 23, 2010, 04:42 PM
I just picked up a Ryobi fan with an extra battery. Love it. My trailer stays nice and cool inside even in parked in the sun, but the fan adds a nice bit of air movement on those crazy still afternoons. I hang it on the bars in the window of the bulkhead between the horses and the dressing room. I am thinking of getting another!

BBowen
Jun. 23, 2010, 04:52 PM
I had fans installed when I bought my trailer; however, they are installed in the back of each horse compartment. This keeps hay particules from blowing around the horses' face and keeps the air circulating. This was also the recommendation of the manufacturer.

SquareOxer
Jun. 23, 2010, 05:17 PM
Yup, I use several battery operated fans that I got from the camping section of Walmart/Target when my horse is sitting on the trailer at the showgrounds. Some of the bigger ones put out a reasonable amount of air, I definitely recommend them!

majanick
Jun. 23, 2010, 06:16 PM
Ok I have fans installed in the back of my 2 horse as well. I would like to leave them on while we are at a show tomorrow, but am just wondering about if I have to leave my truck running as well as I am afraid of killing my truck battery. Any thoughts?

Luv2Trail
Jun. 23, 2010, 07:24 PM
:)Thanks for the tip! I am going to check it out!

yankeeclipper
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:16 PM
What model 12v fans have people installed? I am going to be trailering my guy soon for a 3-4 hour drive and am considering having a fan installed in the trailer. This is not a standard feature or accessory for this trailer so I am having it done locally and need to purchase the fan. Thank you.

Sparky Boy
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:27 PM
My fans came from trailer manufacturer. Had them put on a seperate battery so they didn't drain on the truck. Although they're kind of weak, better than nothing I guess.

yankeeclipper
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:43 PM
The Vornado undercabinet fan is perfect in terms of size, output and where I can install it BUT it's 110 volts and has a plug. I also like that it can be folded out of the way when not in use. http://www.vornado.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ISC_Category=V103

kaluha2
Jun. 26, 2010, 05:52 AM
Thanks so much for the idea about battery operated fans at Wal-Mart.

I wanted fans in the stall but since I had my shed go up in flames a couple of years ago I was afraid to hook up an electrical fan with the horse closed in the stall.

I am going to check out the battery operated fans. Didn't even know there was such an animal.