PDA

View Full Version : Wider seat on Devoucoux??

BadEventer
Jun. 23, 2010, 09:07 AM
Reposted - said larger seat in 1st post - but talking about wider seat (not longer)

I have been riding in my instructors Devoucoux Chiberta and I can't tell you what a difference it makes in my position. Landing with your feet underneath you is an amazing feeling. (I'm schooling Prelim, btw.)

My only problem is my seat bones hang off the "edges" of the seat. I'm a thin 5'7" but I have an "unusually wide" pelvis. (An Italian salesman, selling me a leather coat in Italy told me that!! I did manage to resist punching him!)

But unfortunately it's true.

This seat bone issue is rather annoying and I got a pretty good "underwear" rub from it this weekend. I've also had this problem in the past with a Stubben. I was always twisting from one side to the other so that at least one of my seat bones was ON the saddle!

I just ordered my own Devoucoux and they are going to make it with the WIDER seat (which is 2cm wider). The rep didn't have any for me to try - so I'm a little concerned about the difference. Does anyone have a jump saddle with the wider seat? I've ordered a Chiberta. (I think it's fairly common in the dressage models.)

Thank you for any information.

CMCEventer
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:03 PM
That's very interesting - I have the EXACT same problem with a lot of saddles. I tried the Devoucoux a year ago, and complained of the same issue. The rep told me they only came in one width - so, maybe this is a new feature?? 2 centimeters doesn't seem like a lot, but hopefully it's enough. Sorry I don't have any experience with the wider version, but looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

BadEventer
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:36 PM
I don't know when they started making the wider seat, but I think they routinely put the wider seat on saddles that have 18.5" seats. And apparently a lot of the dressage saddles.

I'm getting an 18" seat with a MUCH extra forward flap (2AAA). I have freakishly long thighs and my knees hang over the flaps on most saddles!! The 2AA was perfect for stadium length stirrups, but when I hiked them up a hole for XC I started running into the thigh blocks, so I went with the third A! I've been riding in saddles that are too small for my leg length all my life. The difference between being balanced over my leg & fighting to stay in the saddle is amazing.

I'll definitely let you know what I think of the wider seat! Since my seat bones "just" hang off, I think 2cm is plenty, but we'll see!! It's amazing that people think seat size anything to do with "weight". I'm 5'7" and 130lbs, but I need an 18" seat with super extra forward flaps! Who knew?!!