PDA

View Full Version : Huge dissappiontment in my big fans

snkstacres
Jun. 23, 2010, 07:28 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh the heat is on in the south. So much so that I went and splurged big time on two huge fans from Tractor supply. I couldnt wait to give those to the ponies and rushed right home with them. So sad, I am loading them back up and taking them back for a refund. They werent were the metal it took to make them. They dont blow as hard as my little box fans. They are belt driven and that must be the problem, too big to turn fast so........................if anyone knows of any good industrial fans that can be had and where, please share.

Equibrit
Jun. 23, 2010, 07:40 AM
These guys always have a good selection; http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/home
including misters.

Industrial suppliers; http://www.mcmaster.com/#industrial-fans/=7nmcaz (these folks are wonderful - order today, you'll have it tomorrow)

MistyBlue
Jun. 23, 2010, 07:59 AM
These guys have a great selection of agricultural fans. Check out the High Velocity fans...made for humidity and dust and lots of wind.
They also have a lot of options for mountings so putting them in barns is easier. Adjustable wall mounts, floor and top mounts.
Most have thermal shut offs built in also.
If you call their customer service and explain your set up and what you want in a fan and your budget they do a good job helping you find the right fan or combo of fans.
I had a good experience with them, but ended up going with different fans only because we had a surprise early heat wave and didn't want to wait for delivery. The fans I have now work really well, but when I need to replace them I'll go to these guys again.

I almost bought one of TSC's enormous floor fans...I was thinking that would be ideal for setting up in the barn aisle behind the gate; part of my barn aisle doubles as a run-in when the horses are out and I have a gate that closes off the rest of the aisle. Mr Blue and I hemmed and hawed over picking up a huge fan there and decided to go back later if we want one. Stinks to hear they suck. (instead of blow, LOL) But saves me a trip and aggro so thanks for the PSA. Guess if I do get an aisle fan I'll either go for an overhead mount from the link on here or a ceiling fan maybe.
ETA...probably helps if I add the link:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/hvac/fans/agricultural?infoParam.campaignId=T9A&gclid=CJ2ftbaTtqICFV195Qod4E374w

ChocoMare
Jun. 23, 2010, 08:17 AM
Ditto McMaster-Carr OR Global Industrial. Have dealt with both companies and they've been fab.

Sparky Boy
Jun. 23, 2010, 08:21 AM
My farmtek stall fans have to stay on the low setting. The higher one is too much air!! We also bought a large belt driven louvered fan to get the hot air out of the hay loft and it moves a lot of air too. I'd look at farmtek to get your fan.

judybigredpony
Jun. 23, 2010, 08:54 AM
Those Belt Drive's from TS make alot...alot of noise for the pathetic amount of air.....:yes:

Jleegriffith
Jun. 23, 2010, 08:58 AM
Are there fans worth buying from tractor supply? Each of my stalls has a box fan but I was looking to get something today that would generate more airflow in the aisleway and tractor supply is local.

Holly Jeanne
Jun. 23, 2010, 09:08 AM
Maybe too expensive but, around here lots of the big farms use these:

http://www.bigassfans.com/industrial

They are also one of the sponsors of the WEG. ;)

LauraKY
Jun. 23, 2010, 09:31 AM
I've bought the little fans than can stand or be hung from TSC. They work fairly well. You can hang them in the stalls if you have enough headroom, put them on the ground blowing into the stalls or hang them in the aisle. I've been pretty happy with them. I think they were in the $60 to $70 range.

Here's the link: TSC Fan (http://www.tractorsupply.com/cooling/portable-fans/big-country-breeze-20-in-omni-directional-high-velocity-floor-fan-3240853)

I've been using them for two years and no problem so far. With this heat wave, I'm thinking about getting a couple more and mounting them up in the aisle. We had no air conditioning for 2 weeks and I brought one in the house. It was actually quieter than our house fans. I'm not saying silent, just quieter.

theoldgreymare
Jun. 23, 2010, 11:12 AM
We have commercial drum fans (floor) that are pretty good. I will try and remember to look at the name when I go down to the barn in a bit. Actually, I think we did get them at TSC about four or five years ago. What brand are yours? We also have a commercial pedestal fan that is amazing even on the lowest setting (but I usually hog that one for the tack room).

I need some oscillating fans (closed motor) for the run in sheds...any suggestions out there?

snkstacres
Jun. 23, 2010, 10:43 PM
Yup, the TSC fans are noisy and vibrate like crazy. Thats ok, they are still shiny and going back. The fans were called Big Country or something like that but...........no farmer I know would waste the power for a blow job like that hahahahahahahahah.

I have looked at farmtek magazines very often and just found them very high priced. Maybe I am being too stingy LOL

Most of the barn that I need these big fans for is also run in type with stalls on the sides so................not just any fan will do. A huge floor fan preferably that tilts. Maybe Farmtek might donate one, cant hurt to ask.

Thanks for the advice, I will look at what you guys suggested cause I know there is a fan out there. I had one that for some reason seazed up. Poor ponies.

Alagirl
Jun. 24, 2010, 01:43 AM
Try Marvins. They had a couple of big fans in the selection, they should work.

baytraks
Jun. 24, 2010, 02:07 AM
I actually picked up a big fan like that from Sam's Club a few years ago. Slightly larger than what I have seen at TSC, and pretty powerful, yet very noisy. If you have head room for ceiling fans and water supply for misters- much better and quieter solutions.

resthavenfarms
Jun. 24, 2010, 04:00 AM
I think those TSC fans are way too much money for what they are. We use industrial fans here at work (large animal hospital) and they work well, but are SO LOUD. I will check to see what brand they are.

equineartworks
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:19 AM
I am so glad I read this. I was going to get one this weekend.

I have a big box fan in the barn for Paco to stick his face in front of (his lips flap so it must have enough air flowing lol!) and one for the ponies but I thought one of those biggies would be nice.

Guess I'll stick with my little lip flappers :)

Fairview Horse Center
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:29 AM
I usually get the high velosity 20" fans from costco, but they have not stocked them this year. They usualy last abut 4-5 years.

I found just what I wanted this year at Home Depot. 2 cool my 14 stall barn for about $65 each. I also found a great fan at Lowes for a similar price. They are listed as floor fans, but I hang them upside-down to reach the switch easily. They do sound a bit like an airplane taking off, so not quiet, but I assume that from anything that moves a lot of air.

Equibrit
Jun. 24, 2010, 07:47 AM
If you look on page 637 of the McMaster Carr catalog (click on page number on the link above - the highlighted bit) there are some value priced direct drive portable industrial units that may suit. Remember that if you are buying industrial quality they should last longer too.

Neighland
Jun. 24, 2010, 03:00 PM
I'm glad to have read this as well, I've looked longingly at the fans at TSC and thought about them, however my barn aisle is pretty narrow and I think it would take up most of the aisle........

On a side note, I get the High Velocity fans from Sam's for my stalls and have had good luck with them, I normally only put them on medium because it is too much air......my farrier was there the other day when they came on, and he thought a storm was coming!! HAHA!!:lol::lol:

Loves to ride
Jun. 24, 2010, 06:38 PM
I have this fan from TSC for a small 2 stall 24'x30' barn. 30" pedestal Big Country fan.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/cooling/portable-fans/big-country-breeze-30-in-pedestal-high-velocity-fan-5002308

Loud as anything but works well!

The horses love it.
The barn swallows teaching their youngsters how to fly, not so much.

I had lusted after a couple of the fans at Farmtek but the shipping was > $100 to Mass!

Tom King
Jun. 24, 2010, 08:19 PM
We have one Heat Buster that must be 15 years old. Unfortunately, it takes horsepower to move air and cheap motors don't last long, so you get what you pay for.

I like the direct drive ones better than belt drive. We also have one fairly old belt drive, and after I changed the drive pulley to a higher quality piece ( I found a steel one for a riding lawnmower that worked- the aluminum ones that come on the motor is junk), it stopped vibrating. I won't buy another belt drive though.

http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=34298&sid=&eid=

The horses come running when they hear me roll them out of storage when the weather gets hot.

BasqueMom
Jun. 25, 2010, 01:10 AM
Try these folks:

http://www.hartkool.com/products.asp

We sold them for a while years ago and everyone was happy with them.
We just didn't sell many due to price.

I've got a Home Depot big orange thing that can be rolled around. DH put a
misting ring on it. Moves a lot of air but noisy. We have a shedrow barn
where they have access 24/7 to stalls so this sits outside the gate so they
can stand in front of the gate if they want. They also have fans in their
stalls--just the 20 inch box fans which I try to replace every year or two.

eponacelt
Jun. 25, 2010, 05:59 AM
Are there fans worth buying from tractor supply? Each of my stalls has a box fan but I was looking to get something today that would generate more airflow in the aisleway and tractor supply is local.

My husband bought some nice stall fans that are mounted nicely up high in the corner of the stall from TSC. WE've only had them in for 6 weeks, but they do the job just fine and have the fully enclosed motor, so they should be safe.