PDA

View Full Version : foregirth for endrance?

keana
Jun. 22, 2010, 11:36 PM
I trail ride and I'm a little worried about my mare reacting to a crupper pulling on her going down hill, I live in Oregon we got hills... If she is a little round (out on grass, gained some weight, not as fit ect) the saddle can slip forward... when going down hills. she don't have nice withers and has the arab wide barrel. more so when not really fit...

I've been putting the crupper on her for years for lunging and long reining.. and she is just a odd duck, she seems fine most times... but a few times odd things have happened and I don't think it's the crupper, I'm pretty sure it's not but I'm a little gun shy right now. Plus I have nothing to hook a crupper to but got a 'T' attachment thingy to hook it under the saddle with and I guess it will work....:confused: My friend uses one but I just keep thinking it's going to rip out of the saddle and the cropper is going to get stuck under her tail and hit her ......

There is a really nice almost new Kavalkade Self-Adjusting Foregirth at the tack shop for $40...

http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=1551

Do only dressage riders use these on the flat?

Thanks.

2enduraceriders
Jun. 29, 2010, 09:47 AM
I have never seen one used before. I had to look them up.
My daughter and I ride in some pretty steep hills. Our saddles are loose, you can always put you hand easily under the girts and I often have daylight showing. We have yet to need to add cruppers or breast plates/collars on our saddles. We may change pads so the saddle fits well but fly through our wonderful trails without having to stop to adjust the saddles. If the saddle fits there is little need for all the accessories.

sublimequine
Jun. 29, 2010, 02:43 PM
I have never seen one used before. I had to look them up.
My daughter and I ride in some pretty steep hills. Our saddles are loose, you can always put you hand easily under the girts and I often have daylight showing. We have yet to need to add cruppers or breast plates/collars on our saddles. We may change pads so the saddle fits well but fly through our wonderful trails without having to stop to adjust the saddles. If the saddle fits there is little need for all the accessories.

Have you ever ridden a downhill (not the terrain, the horse! :lol: ), no-withered, round-backed horse? Then take that horse and ride them down a real steep slope? The saddle can be custom fit to that horse, if there's no withers to hold the saddle back slippage CAN be an issue. It's just the nature of the beast, with those kind of horses.

sublimequine
Jun. 29, 2010, 02:46 PM
As for your original dilemma OP, why not try saddle britchen/breeching? Most are made for mules, but I'm certain you could find one to fit your horse, or have a saddler make some to fit. :)

http://horseandmulegear.com/catalog.php

Scroll down about halfway down the page. :)

2enduraceriders
Jun. 29, 2010, 03:39 PM
Have you ever ridden a downhill (not the terrain, the horse! :lol: ), no-withered, round-backed horse? Then take that horse and ride them down a real steep slope? The saddle can be custom fit to that horse, if there's no withers to hold the saddle back slippage CAN be an issue. It's just the nature of the beast, with those kind of horses.

Yes! Still the same situation.

NagsEquestrian
Jun. 30, 2010, 11:04 AM
I agree with 2enduranceriders, I have a downhill built wide and fat welsh pony, when she had a treed saddle that didn't fit her it constantly slipped forward, now in a treeless saddle she doesn't have any trouble with saddles moving :)

suz
Jun. 30, 2010, 11:17 PM
i'm confused--how is this fore-girth different from an anti-casting surcingle?
i use one for bareback riding--just use a nice thick pad for comfort and this to hold it in place and it's way safer feeling than a typical bareback pad.
how would one attach this to a saddle?