PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Help

BigPaintHorse
Jun. 22, 2010, 02:12 PM
Good Afternoon everyone,

I need some advice and after reading for months figured you guys might help direct me.

I have finally decided I must get a new helmet. Mine is old to say the least, i bought it in 96 and while I didn't ride for a few years in there and have never hit my head in it I finally admit it might not be the safest thing on my head.

I would prefer something that has some vents as I have had heatstroke recently and would like to avoid that if possible. That said do those of you with vented helmets think that they make a big difference?

I do not like the Troxel helmets as they don't feel like they sit correctly on my head. They feel very much on top of my head and not covering far enough down in the back.

I love my old Lexington but alas they are no longer in business :( Any ideas in the cheap to moderate price range?

Thanks!

eventer_mi
Jun. 22, 2010, 02:40 PM
Tipperaries come down quite far in the back, and are vented everywhere. They tend to fit an oval head best, which is the vast majority of Caucasian women/men (unlike we Asians with heads like bowling balls). They're also not terribly expensive -in the $60 range.

wildlifer
Jun. 22, 2010, 05:18 PM
Tipperary hands down. I personally think paying $300-400 for a helmet is ridiculous. The Tipp is $50-60, so comfy and light and YES vents make a big difference! I even wear it to horse trials.

AEM74
Jun. 22, 2010, 06:55 PM
I've been very pleased with this Aegis helmet: http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=AAH&Category_Code=. It's comfy, cool, light, fits well and is adjustable.

eventer@heart
Jun. 22, 2010, 07:12 PM
I LOVE my new Charles Owens Pro 2 skullcap. I also get overheated easily (and am a heavy sweater) and it passed the test this past Sunday when I had a 90+ minute (group) XC clinic in 90 degree heat (with breaks of course).

I was so very pleasantly surprised! The vents didn't look very big but they were extremely effective. And, comfort is impressive, too.

They are ~$190.

Best of luck.

VicariousRider
Jun. 22, 2010, 07:39 PM
I love my IRH helmets. Good price point and really comfy.

However: you really need to go try a bunch on because different brands fit different head shapes (some are rounder, more oval, etc.). Fit is far and away the most important part when it comes to safety.

Kementari
Jun. 22, 2010, 09:48 PM
International bought out Lexington, and - for me - their schooling helmets fit about the same. :yes:

eventingismylife
Jun. 22, 2010, 10:33 PM
I have had Troxels, Tipperaries, and CO helmets, and I my favorites are definetly the Tipps and CO Skulls. I recently just got a Pro Skull 2 by CO to replace my Tipp and I love it. I also get heatstroke very easily, and its been great! The only down side is that it is a bit pricey.

TBrescue
Jun. 22, 2010, 10:50 PM
I have had Troxels, Tipperaries, and CO helmets, and I my favorites are definetly the Tipps and CO Skulls. I recently just got a Pro Skull 2 by CO to replace my Tipp and I love it. I also get heatstroke very easily, and its been great! The only down side is that it is a bit pricey.

Me too...oval head and love the old Tipp and the CO skulls!

teddygirl
Jun. 23, 2010, 07:59 AM
I love the Charles Owens helmets, they fit me great and are so comfortable. All the helmets mentioned above are good, and Ovation has a good new helmet, and some people like the Lami Cell. You really have to try a bunch on to see what fits your head shape the best. They'll move around or give you a headache if they're not fitted correctly

jn4jenny
Jun. 23, 2010, 08:34 AM
I've been a Tipp fan for years, but next time I go helmet shopping, I may buy an Ovation Protege. It's basically a knockoff of the Tipperary design--vented, swoops down in the back, same colors/look as the original Tipperary Sportage. It fits me the same way that a Tipp does, and it's half the price of a Tipp at $36.

This site has some nice pictures of it:
http://www.123tack.com/ovation-protege-riding-helmet.html

retreadeventer
Jun. 23, 2010, 08:52 AM
I just bought a new Ovation Sync, from a COTH supporter -- Victory Canter. Very VERY happy with this helmet. The neat thing is the removeable coolmax cloth liner that I can wash! I too have had heatstroke and do not do well in hot weather and sweat a lot and this was a big sell to me. It is vented and has dialfit with a ponytail port which I need -- and the harness is soft and adjustable and comfortable. A great summer helmet. It has a matte finish which looks good most of the time and doesn't attract dirt or dust. VERY affordable. I've been trying to find a place to leave feedback/eval on this product, haven't found it yet.

The old Lexington helmets today would NOT pass ASTM, and that I believe is the reason that the design was morphed or passed on. There are much more modern materials today being used in the new helmets and the thing to do is take a trip to your local tack shop and TRY THEM ON. Everyone's head is a little different and some brands just aren't going to fit, even if someone else said it was the greatest helmet ever -- might not be your cup of tea. Helmet fit is really important for your safety so don't compromise.

AKB
Jun. 24, 2010, 12:27 AM
Try the Charles Owen J3. It sits down further on the head than some other helmets. www.adamshorsesupply.com has good prices on them.

You need to go somewhere that has many, many brands and try on one after another until you find what you like.

Zephyr
Jun. 24, 2010, 05:38 PM
I agree that if you want VENTED, extra coverage and under-$100 price tag, go with the Tipperary.