View Full Version : Horse Vans?? Where to buy and what to look for.

Jun. 22, 2010, 01:20 PM
I need all the help I can get! I am interested in purchasing a 4 to 6 horse van. I know nothing!!!! Any advice would be great!
Thanks in advance everyone. Also need to know where to buy.

Jun. 22, 2010, 02:02 PM
Frank DiBella

Jun. 22, 2010, 05:31 PM
Where are you? This can make the search easy/difficult.

What do you want to know?

There have been quite a few threads in the past about vans...

Jun. 22, 2010, 09:57 PM
Where are you? This can make the search easy/difficult.

What do you want to know?

There have been quite a few threads in the past about vans...

I'm in Florida, but am willing to travel, so my location is not a deal breaker. As far as what I want to know, well I know nothing about these vans so I need your help. I am someone that keeps things so I want something clean. I want something that will be easy for a women to use by herself and I need something that I can make box stalls in if I need to as I will be traveling mares and foals and foals by themselves. I raise holsteiners and live close to the coast so my be in a position to have to evacualte the horses. I do want a diesel, but do not know anything about them. I have heard you cannot rebuild a CAT diesel. Is this true? I would like something safe and low miles. Thanks for any suggestions!:)

Jun. 23, 2010, 08:16 AM
Horse vans seem to be less and less with the bigger trailers taking over! Frank Dibella is a good choice and he has been in business for many years. You can, if buying new and custom, put a van body on any type of truck chasiss you want. You may find one you really like but don't like the truck but can get it moved to a truck you like better. I think most vans can convert to box stalls fairly easily.Give some dealers a call and they can guide you well.

Jun. 23, 2010, 09:09 AM
GMC and Dodge make large capacity commercial vans that can be fitted out as horse vans too if you want to go new as opposed to used. Since each is done custom you can configure the van however you like.

They aren't inexpensive that way...if you go brand new the heavy duty vans start around $35k. And it can cost $5k or more to have it customized for horses. But the vans are made with a cargo capacity well exceeding equine weight. And the cost is still less than a new truck *and* trailer. Not to mention it's an automatic, has traction control and isn't ridiculously tall. They're normally used as delivery vans. I first checked into them (been horse van shopping a couple years now) when I walked by a Doritos delivery van and got the idea peeking into the back. Got talking to the driver and checking out the van stats and then talked to a couple dealers and fitters. Not sure if they can go as 6 horses though. Looks more to be 2-3 horses tops in size.

Also check out European horse vans. Some make it here to the US.

Aug. 6, 2010, 10:22 AM
There are a number of possible choices, here. Do you want to build one yourself or buy one "ready made?"

One possible chassis is the "hot shot" truck. You see these on the interstate; Panther is a popular logo. They have a box, sleeper, and are designed to move high value cargo. Most are retired about 300,000 miles or so because reliability is critical with this segment of the trucking industry. They still have a lot of life in them, particularly for a low milage user.

But, if you really want to get horse van, you need this:

Here's a thread on another forum that has some interesting European designs. IMO several of these European approaches could be incorporated into a "hot shot" type truck.

As with anything, all it really takes is money. :)