PDA

View Full Version : Iceing too much?

faluut42
Jun. 22, 2010, 03:30 AM
At the place I work at all the horses get iced after getting worked. We throw ice boots on for 20 mins and then they get turned back out. Its super convient and all the horses legs look amazing. They all are super tight and super sound, event the older FEI horses. I do the same on my mare after I ride. The vet says it is a good idea so I am not worried but curious of other peoples opinions.

Does anyone else do this? Opinions of people that think its not a good idea?

Highflyer
Jun. 22, 2010, 06:56 AM
At worst it is unnecessary, but not harmful. At best it is very helpful. If you can do it easily, that's great! I've only seen it done every day on older racehorses, on a farm that had it's own ice machine, but it's definitely a good thing.

snoopy
Jun. 22, 2010, 07:59 AM
I know someone who is very fortunate to have an ice cold natural spring that runs down the back of her farm...with a bit of work she was able to cut into the side of the hill so that the water could pool before moving on and she regularly hacks over and stands her horses knee deep in this cold water and her horse's legs look great. She claims she has never had to bandage and her horses have not ever taken an off step in their lives.

Tarheelbelle
Jun. 22, 2010, 01:57 PM
At the place I work at all the horses get iced after getting worked. We throw ice boots on for 20 mins and then they get turned back out. Its super convient and all the horses legs look amazing. They all are super tight and super sound, event the older FEI horses. I do the same on my mare after I ride. The vet says it is a good idea so I am not worried but curious of other peoples opinions.

Does anyone else do this? Opinions of people that think its not a good idea?

When I first saw this thread I thought... why are they talking about "icing" on COTH. Just goes so show I'm a college kid I guess. :rolleyes:

http://blog.collegehumor.com/post/617207772/bros-icing-bros

pegasusmom
Jun. 22, 2010, 02:40 PM
We have several we ice after every fitness workout - one in particular is a extraordinarily talented mare with jewelry due to heavy use/poor care in her former profession. While it's hard to tell exactly what is normal for her, the icing keeps her looking more like what I think normal ought to look like.

I'd love to have an ice cold natural spring to stand mine in at the end of a ride. In fact, with this week's weather forecast, I'd be pleased to stand myself in that spring after the workout. :lol:

WNT
Jun. 22, 2010, 04:36 PM
Do you use the ice boots that only cover the leg from the pastern to the knee, or a big soaking boot (like the ones with the whirlpool set) with ice and water in it?

The reason I ask is that a barn I was at had the big yellow boots to stand and soak in, and it seemed the horses that got soaked regularly (like 3 times a week, 20-30 minutes a session) had more trouble with pulling shoes than the other horses did. That may have been because they were doing much more and harder work, allowing more opportunity to pull a shoe. I wondered if the extra time that those hooves were in the water, then back in a dry stall was compromising the hoof's integrity. I know we used a lot more hoof hardener on those horses.

That would be my only concern, over-soaking the hoofies.

Bobthehorse
Jun. 22, 2010, 08:50 PM
What kind of boots do you use? I would do this if I could find a good/convenient method.

Carol Ames
Jun. 22, 2010, 08:58 PM
If your horses' legs look great:cool: and the vet says it is ok;) Why change anything?:confused:

faluut42
Jun. 23, 2010, 06:41 PM
we use the ice horse tendon boots. there feet get wet only because we hose off there legs before we put the boots on.

there is a freezer there and when ever we need a pair we just pull 4 out, so if you have a freezer on hand its super convenient. thats actually the reason the young horses are iced now also.

KateR
Jun. 23, 2010, 11:40 PM
I worked at a racing stable over summer and all the good horses and all the ones that were racing or about to race were iced every day with ice boots that went from knee to fetlock. In the four months that I was there, the only tendon/ligament etc injury was from a horse striking himself while misbehaving.