PDA

View Full Version : I've been introduced to Stoney Valley! (pa)

brightskyfarm
Jun. 21, 2010, 08:36 PM
I was fortunate to have a (new) friend introduce me to Stoney Valley (state game lands) nearby Penn National race course east of Harrisburg, Pa.

We did 23 mi in 5:24 --- which included 2 major on-foot walks!
My horse, a QH, wasnt ready for the 2nd huge mountain climb... and needed to spend some time recovering ....so, off and foot-walking, sponging, still climbing to the top.
The trail then flattened out to a beautiful meadow type field with a grassy trail along the edge.... when ... my friend said...
OH< UM>>>>>> is that a bear?
sure enough... a lovely well fattened black bear, just walked out onto the trail, and looked right taking in my stare...
after a bit --- he wandered off and we continued on.

This trail drops down onto a railway bed.. awesome stretch... ... 2 guys off their bikes flagged us down as they assisted a rattlesnake to find another place to sun himself off the road..! huge snake! but rather lazy I must say...well, til the guy poked him --- he coiled and rattled rather quickly!
but then, moved on ...

the 2nd major foot walk was UP UP UP the last mountain home when my friends horse lost his 2nd front shoe --
My little horse was barefoot --- and yes, the stones were beginning to take their toll --- he was fine today, but still, I would recommend shoes /which he will be wearing next/any time we do Stoney Valley.

On the way home, I found my barn is only 4.8 miles from the parking lot! so, if anyone would like to ride on a Sunday, please feel free to invite yourself!~
Oh ps: I can do leisure too (yes, I went home and napped):yes::yes::yes::yes:
http://trailrunner.com/trails/state_trails/pa_schuylkill.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~brandy-comicsandpp/topten.html

CoopsZippo
Jun. 22, 2010, 12:48 PM
I have ridden there several times. It is nice.

I am trailerless now... So I wont get off the farm for a while. :no:

Weiser is also a blast. I love to ride the snowmobile trails.

tabula rashah
Jun. 22, 2010, 01:56 PM
Hmmm, both of these places look like great places to ride and within a couple hours of me :) Any specifics on parking for Stoney valley or Weiser?

SonnysMom
Jun. 22, 2010, 04:00 PM
I would love to meet you up there some Sunday. I could even pick up CoopsZippo as she does not look too far out of the way. Maybe we can arrange something for later in the summer or early fall.

I am pretty sure neither my horse or I is up to 23 miles and 5+ hours though-especially with a 1 hour trailer ride in each direction.

brightskyfarm
Jun. 22, 2010, 04:35 PM
My little horse is heading to your camp SonnysMom, :yes:

Im up to a nice leisurely Sunday ride... the railway bed is flat and long , plenty of water everywhere in that area......

and lesser trails and loops that offer a nice relaxing ride.

Parking would be......... exit 80 off rt. 81> bowcreek rd north to 443W State Game land sign on the right just past the Piketown Rd. Use your mouse to move the map as needed.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=40.400633&lon=-76.747283&zoom=15&q1=penn%20national%20race%20course%2C%20grantville %2C%20pa

the grey area is Fort Indiantown Gap...the white area adjoining it is the state game lands.

CoopsZippo
Jun. 22, 2010, 10:52 PM
I know where the parking is at the other end.... :yes: It flatter at the Dauphin Trailhead end.

Colonel Denning is also nice.

I live in Harrisburg my horses are in Millersburg. So last year I hit as much as I could within a few hours of the barn. :winkgrin:

ETA.... I have either a gaited or non gaited horse to ride.

chicamuxen1
Jun. 23, 2010, 07:22 AM
Did you ride the rail trail or are you talking about other trails near the rail trail?

Bonnie

CoopsZippo
Jun. 23, 2010, 06:43 PM
Me I have ridden the Rail Trail and the fire trails at the Dauphin End.

My MFT would have a blast on the Rail Trail. :lol:

brightskyfarm
Jul. 5, 2010, 08:34 PM
Anyone up to a leisurely ride EARLY Sunday morning at Stoney Valley... meet point at the parking lot off Rt. 443 west of Penn National race course... ? exit 80 off rt. 81
Weather is forecast for mostly sunny and mid-80's coming off mid-60's overnight Saturday.
Early= 6-7am? just a couple hours.

Trail: through the woods/ down a hill trail, cross the creek to the rail bed. Plenty of water.. rocky terrain, gravel on the rail bed... shoes recommended unless super good hard feet.
Moderately conditioned horse suitable..... rider? well, pretty much the same. :)

brightskyfarm
Jul. 19, 2010, 05:05 PM
A ride is being planned for Sunday, July 25th... noon or later, time not yet determined.

Leisurely ride, couple hours...
Moderately fit horse suitable
Shoes recommended, but excellent feet will do fine
Plenty of water along the trail
Weather is looking good for Sunday...no rain...
Meet at Parking Lot along rt. 443/off exit 80 of rt.81 grantville. easy access, plenty of room for trailer parking.

brightskyfarm
Jul. 26, 2010, 07:55 PM
A ride is being planned for Sunday, Aug 1st...10:30am
the time has been changed to 10:30am

Leisurely ride, couple hours...
Moderately fit horse suitable
Shoes recommended, but excellent feet will do fine
Plenty of water along the trail
Weather is looking good for Sunday....temps in mid 80-'s
Meet at Parking Lot along rt. 443/off exit 80 of rt.81 grantville. easy access, plenty of room for trailer parking.