PDA

View Full Version : Proud Mom Brag: Baby's 2nd time XC...

Ibex
Jun. 21, 2010, 08:31 PM
Two years ago this week I bought a 3yo (because, you know, EVERYONE needs a 3yo for their first "own" horse :D :eek: after leasing). She was to be my all-rounder Dressage/Eventer/Jumper/WhateverMomWantsToDoToday horse.

We've taken things slowly with her, only really getting the jumping going this past winter/spring. It became pretty clear that jumping is MUCH more her thing than dressage.

Two weeks ago we headed out to do our first XC with the goal of hacking, walking through the water jump, and maybe hopping over a log or two. We ended up jumping all the baby stuff! She marched into the water like she'd been doing it for years, cantered up and down banks (cantering DOWN was her idea because she balances better... I would have been happy with trotting). We had quite a few baby moments over each new obstacle, but once she understood what was being asked, she was not going to risk touching it (don't mind the total lack of release, she REALLY caught me off guard). :lol:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs603.snc3/31750_437347252813_530912813_6092437_673164_n.jpg

So today was XC Schooling #2. She came out with her tail a bit on fire, but settled and cantered over the little warm-up log like an old pro. Didn't love the little jumps into the woods, but got over it and went. Then we moved onto the big field. She still had a ton of energy, so I was told to let her gallop after the jump to let her work it off in the many acres of groomed ground.

Here's the catch: I'm a total adult novice weenie. I joke regularly that my horse is rider impaired. I know full well that I'm a reasonably decent rider, but this whole "speed" thing is unnerving when most of my XC experience has been on the back of schoolies who would rather stop and eat.

So we hop over the logs and cruise away. And she stretches out and GALLOPS. And Gallops. And Gallops. And Gallops. I'm starting to second guess this whole "go for a gallop" thing and suspect maybe she's sucked my into an out of control run. So of course then my Adult Weenie side kicks back in and I start seeing my life before my eyes. (Mare is still happily galloping along). I eventually circle back to the trainer expecting to get my butt kicked for an out of control run... Maresy politely comes back to a trot when and where requested.

Trainer looks at me and say "Holy S**t. She gallops like an Advanced Horse! By the way, you're looking a little pale"... :rolleyes:

So apparently my next job is to learn to breathe. While galloping.

And no, we did not jump anything from that kind of speed. Once it was burnt off, we cantered appropriately over baby fences. Much to Maresy's total and complete disgust. :lol:

SimonandGus
Jun. 22, 2010, 12:02 AM
Congrats! Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

leilatigress
Jun. 22, 2010, 11:49 AM
Trainer looks at me and say "Holy S**t. She gallops like an Advanced Horse! By the way, you're looking a little pale"... :rolleyes:

So apparently my next job is to learn to breathe. While galloping.

And no, we did not jump anything from that kind of speed. Once it was burnt off, we cantered appropriately over baby fences. Much to Maresy's total and complete disgust. :lol:

I've had those moments! Major grats!!

AppJumpr08
Jun. 22, 2010, 01:16 PM
Oh what FUN!!!

Congrats :D

Fred
Jun. 22, 2010, 09:15 PM
congrats! - good for you both!