PDA

View Full Version : Clinic w Buck in TX and FITNESS ?

gold2012
Jun. 21, 2010, 08:37 AM
So who is going to Buck's Clinic? He is worth EVERY, EVERY Penny.....He has amazing insight to the needs of the horse, and you feel he is riding with you every second.

Also, on a side note, any suggestions to get fitness in the really hot weather and humidity? We are doing the early morning thing, and thinking swimming...I assume that with swimming any level fitness works and they build up....going to Kesmarc.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

flea
Jun. 21, 2010, 10:50 AM
Where is the clinic?

gold2012
Jun. 21, 2010, 01:14 PM
I think it's at meadowcreek and Kristy Limon is the contact person....

Hilary
Jun. 22, 2010, 02:18 PM
Not sure if your questions are related, but if the clinic is coming up right away I'm not sure what you can do to deal with the heat on short notice.

As for fitness, many people use swimming for aerobic workouts but it does little to condition the leg structures because there is zero concussion. While too much pounding is bad, too little is no good either. And it won't help you cope with the heat. The only way to get used to the heat is to work in it.

And I will plug the clinic too - I just rode with Buck in VT this past weekend (where it was hot for us at 85+ and humid) and he was really really great. I very much appreciated how articulate he was about what the exercises were, why we were doing them and how to make them better when we didn't get it right. Would totally recommend his clinics to anyone. He nailed the gaping "hole" in her training within about 15 seconds and it really came through why I need to fix it - he was never discouraging or disparaging, but I really understand now why I need to fix her throughness.

You'll work your butt off (as will your horse) but we came away knowing a lot more than we did when we started.

gold2012
Jun. 22, 2010, 09:19 PM
Alas, a friend is putting it on in Texas, we are in Florida and worked with Buck over the winter....but from there, and wanted to let everyone know he is amazing as an instructor....I so wish I could go.

The conditioning was an aside. My gosh it is humid here....just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for conditioning. Doing the swimming thing, and the long trot sets, but seems slow going with this heat....