PDA

View Full Version : Got my new tractor - think I made a mistake

Kate66
Jun. 20, 2010, 09:29 PM
I paid for this tractor last October and it just arrived today. I was buying it from a really great tractor mechanic. I had happened to mention to him last year that I was thinking about getting another tractor for a small farm we have about 2 hours away. It was supposed to be ready by Nov and it came today. It's as pretty as can be, red and white, and a completely new renovation - not that that is much use.

Pretty much everything on it is new. The cylinders have been completely rebuilt, it's rewired, hydraulics all redone, clutch job and new tires all round. It's a 1956 Ford Workmaster 800 with a custom front loader - I say custom, because when he sold it to me he thought that a front loader he had would fit, and it didn't, thus the delays in having to completely change up the front end mounts to fit it.

So, here's the issue. The front loader is not going to come off. So, with the front loader and the mower, it is going to be a nightmare to maneuver around our trees, of which we have a lot. Grrrrr, I have waited 8 months for this tractor and think I should probably just stick it up for sale almost immediately.

Reality is we already have an old Ford 2800 which is a real workhorse and a New Holland TC30, which I felt was too lightweight for the other farm, but retrospectively, it's front loader just pops on and off and with it's power steering, 4 wheel drive etc it's way easier to move around. Maybe I should have just taken it up there. I was just nervous that it wasn't heavy enough weight to push around the trees that are down, but maybe I can just fill it's tires with water to give it a little more weight.

So, my own silly fault. I'll maybe hang onto it to drive in the Antique Tractor section of the July 4th parade and then let it go.

Tom King
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:29 PM
The front end loader on my 70 hp John Deere has a 7' wide bucket and comes off pretty easily....or so it looks. I've never had it off. You get used to it quickly.

Catersun
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:33 PM
;) I have tractor envy

MistyBlue
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:38 PM
Would love to see photos of your new restored tractor if possible!

FWIW, I have a NH TC33DA, 4wd and I've shoved over some small trees. Biggest so far was an approximately 25' pine. Which I do not not recommend shoving those over. Damned things snap back like a rubber band! :eek: :lol: :eek: Pushing down a pine tree is like trying to throw away a boomerang. :winkgrin:

I will eventually get the tires filled on that. It does have the quick attach front, which would be handy if we ever used it. I've never taken the front loader off and can swing around stuff pretty easily because it's so easy to drive. I was thinking of getting a snow blade for it but I've heard snow plowing with a tractor isn't great for the tractor. So I guess I'll continue to rake the snow off with the york, LOL! Hey, it leaves nice grooves and if those freeze I still have traction on it. :yes:

Kate66
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:39 PM
The front end loader on my 70 hp John Deere has a 7' wide bucket and comes off pretty easily....or so it looks. I've never had it off. You get used to it quickly.

The front end loader on the TC30 is extremely easy to take off, but looking at how this pld tractor is put together I just don't see anyway that the front end loader will come off. I'll call the mechanic tomorrow and see but I am doubtful. I don't have an issue driving it with the loader, but we have a very heavily wooded property. If I have the front end loader up, then I will hit the trees, and if I have it down and out the front, with the mower on the back I won't be able to get around most of the area. My own stupid fault!

Kate66
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:41 PM
;) I have tractor envy

Some girls like shoes - me, I like tractors. I do love our old Ford though, not this new (old) one, but the last one - damn, it's a workhorse!

Here's the link to a photo that the guy sent me before he brought it over.

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/rossfeltusfarms/?action=view&current=tractor.jpg

Bluey
Jun. 20, 2010, 11:18 PM
That is a snazzy tractor.

We had an ancient, red all over Ford tractor, without hydraulics, that you pulled a lever and the bucket dumped, then you put the bucket on the ground and it hooked up again so you could load it again with dirt.
That bucket also was not coming off.
We sold it many years later for more than double what we paid for it new.;)

You may want to see if you could take the whole frame of the arms plus bucket off.
It looks like you have a few bolts to take off only, if you could hang the frame and bucket from a tree limb and take those bolts off and whatever attaches the long cylinders too and just walk the tractor out from under it.
Surely he made the hydraulic hoses quick connect.:yes:
To put it back on, drive under it, line the bolts up and attach it all together again.:)

goodhors
Jun. 21, 2010, 11:14 AM
If you fill the tires, I would suggest using beet pulp juice. It is eco-friendly, doesn't seem to freeze like water and doesn't eat the rims like chloride does. If tire should leak or get a hole, the beet pulp juice is no problem on your ground or a major cleanup problem like the chloride is.

I have had the beet pulp juice in now about 3-4 years, can tell no difference in traction from years we had the chloride filling the tires. Our tires are filled when they are mounted on the rims, our 8N tractor (without bucket) would not be able to work nearly so well on air-filled tires. Just too light.

MistyBlue
Jun. 21, 2010, 12:25 PM
I've heard that before about the beet pulp juice Goodhors. I would imagine tractor service places would be the place to have that done?
My neighbor bought the same exact tractor I have...hers is one year newer though...and she had the dealership come back and fill her tires for her. They came and took the 2 rear tires off her tractor, brought them back to the dealership, filled them with some sort of heavy foam and then returned and put them back on. I was going to do the same until she told me it cost $1200!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Now granted this dealership (same pace I got mine) might have great salesfolk but they're service department sucks and they charge a bloody fortune for everything. (as in I bought a battery and a $2 fuse from them and they charged me over $400, I haven't used them since) So I would hope having somewhere else fill tires wouldn't cost as much as my tractor? I'd really like to get mine filled.

Kate66
Jun. 21, 2010, 12:38 PM
Beet pulp sounds interesting! Where on earth would I get it?

The mechanic told me to get an adaptor from Tractor Supply and attach it to the garden hose. He said to also make sure to put a couple of gallons of anti-freeze in, just to make sure they didn't freeze. He certainly suggested it was a thing that I could do myself.

MistyBlue
Jun. 21, 2010, 12:53 PM
Really??? They make an adaptor to do that yourself Kate? Now that sounds affordable. :yes:
Good question though...where does one get gallons of beet pulp juice? :confused: :lol: :confused:
Hmm...hope someone in the know replies. Would love to know where to get beet pulp juice, how affordable it is, if it requires anti-freeze too and just how one goes about filling their tires with it at home with an adaptor. Do you let any air out first? Deflate it totally? Should I even consider trying this? ;)

Tom King
Jun. 21, 2010, 02:29 PM
http://www.gemplers.com/tech/tire-liquid.htm

cyndi
Jun. 21, 2010, 02:36 PM
Beet pulp sounds interesting! Where on earth would I get it?

The mechanic told me to get an adaptor from Tractor Supply and attach it to the garden hose. He said to also make sure to put a couple of gallons of anti-freeze in, just to make sure they didn't freeze. He certainly suggested it was a thing that I could do myself.

When the guy from the Kubota dealership delivered my tractor he told me the same thing.

MistyBlue
Jun. 21, 2010, 05:07 PM
Huge thanks for the link Tom King! :D

goodhors
Jun. 21, 2010, 07:06 PM
My tires were filled by the tire service guy who came to replace them. He hauled a small trailer with a tank of beet juice on it, filled the tires after mounting them on the new rims (chloride killed the old rims so they would not hold the tire edge). Can't remember what the price was, but it didn't seem unreasonable with him at the farm.

Our local Ford dealer is REALLY over priced, so any tractor work goes to a local shop specializing in older tractors of various makes. They are pretty good at reviving Bessie. Husband says "Bessie needs a visit to the Day Spa to be fixed up!" She is the hardest working thing around here!!

Tom King
Jun. 21, 2010, 07:25 PM
Huge thanks for the link Tom King! :D

I don't think in words, but I speak pretty good "Google".

Kate66
Jun. 21, 2010, 10:17 PM
Likewise on the Ford dealership here. Our old guy needed work done on the hydraulics and the brakes fixed. The dealership quoted us about $2,500 for just the 2 things I think. We found this other guy through craigslist - yes, high risk I know - but he took our tractor away, did the hydraulics, complete clutch job, fixed the brakes, went over the whole electric system, changed out the fuel sending unit, fixed all the lights and several other bits and pieces and charges us $1,700 including coming and getting it and bringing it back - and he lives about 200 miles away. He did a fantastic job.