PDA

View Full Version : OW! BMSS causing bruises

cloudy18
Jun. 20, 2010, 09:30 AM
The flap/fender on my BMSS hits me a little below my knees and gave me bruises. I borrowed a friend's and didn't have a problem. Is it bc it's new and that piece of leather seems to be made from the stiffest material possible, and it just needs breaking in/oiling, or is something else going on? I only went on a 3 hour ride, all walking. If I post they are going to really rub. I can wear chaps, but won't want to wear them all the time, and I still might feel that flap.

rmh_rider
Jun. 20, 2010, 09:55 AM
Your saddle doesn't fit you.

No padding will fix the problem. It is the princess and the pea. That is with regards to the horse and using padding, and to you for using padding (half chaps). IOW over time if there is a bump there, it will not be solved with adding padding.

IMO a saddle fits right away or not. Yeah, some riding can help, but that is only a few hours. And I think you have done your few hours. Some saddles need break in time, but not more than what you have. If so, maybe that isn't the saddle for you. Oiling it will not fix a bump. Nor half chaps. Different saddle will.

Good luck

chicamuxen1
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:25 AM
You didn't say what model of BMSS that you have. Is it an endurance model or is it a western model with fenders? I have owned several endurance model BMSS. The first thing I do is pull off the stirrups straps that come with the saddle and those neoprene tubes that wrap over them. Put hose at the bottom of an old tack trunk. Then I put heavy, nylon dog collars on the saddle as stirrup straps and use trail stirrups that have the narrow bar at the top for 1" stirrup straps. Most of these stirrups can be altered to have a narrow bar. Anyway, hang the stirrups on the dog collars with the buckle of the collar at the bottom, right above the stirrup bar. I use a piece of double sided velcro to bundle the layers of the dog collars together. That's it, minimum bulk, improved leg swing also. In place of the velcro you can use a sheepskin halter tube to cover the collar straps. If you are riding a western model of BMSS and you don't want to remove the original fenders and straps then I don't know what you can do. Mayber you can reverse the stirrup straps so the buckles are lower? I'd just remove them myself and go simpler.

Bonnie

cloudy18
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:20 PM
No, it's the rectangular leather flap that is sewn onto the side of the saddle, covering the top of the nylon stirrup "leathers" that is hitting me just below the knees but on the back of my calves. I should have explained better, sorry. It's basically pinching/rubbing me and left big bruises. On the endurance model. What the hell is that there for anyway? I assume so you don't get pinched up higher?

http://savvysportsaddle.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SS&Product_Code=BMBE&Category_Code=BMS2

And yeah, those wraps over the stirrup straps are a pain bc I have a beast of a time shortening the stirrups enough with them in the way. Not sure if I want to keep this saddle or not, although I'd like if it weren't for that painful issue.

Knee flaps, they're called knee flaps! THAT is what is killing my calves!

chicamuxen1
Jun. 21, 2010, 07:08 AM
You will probably find the saddle much more comfortable if you swap out the stirrup straps like I suggested. It reduces the bulk of stuff under the flap and it will lie flatter. Is this a new saddle? Also, oil and soften the flap, get it to break in. this will help also. but the biggest thing is getting rid of the original straps and tubes. go to Pet Smart and buy the double thick dog collars, they are very cheap, and try them before deciding to sell the saddle.

Bonnie

cloudy18
Jun. 21, 2010, 12:51 PM
Aahh, got it, thanks. Yes, it's brand new and I can probably still send it back, but I would hate to do that if there's an easy fix. That knee flap material is the stiffest stuff ever, I imagine it might take awhile to break in. Maybe I should encourage the dog to gnaw on it a little.;) This saddle is going to SD in a month, so it needs to be comfy. And I am not getting a lot of riding time in now with all the rain!

I think it will work great for the horse bc I am able to mount form the ground with less trouble than I do in the dressage I also use, and it left decent marks on him the other day. He had a dry spine up to where I was sitting, and that was w/out a Skito pad-have to order on eif I keep this-so I would think once I get a proper pad he'll have a totally dry spine.

Huntertwo
Jun. 21, 2010, 02:16 PM
No, it's the rectangular leather flap that is sewn onto the side of the saddle, covering the top of the nylon stirrup "leathers" that is hitting me just below the knees but on the back of my calves. I should have explained better, sorry. It's basically pinching/rubbing me and left big bruises. On the endurance model. What the hell is that there for anyway? I assume so you don't get pinched up higher?

http://savvysportsaddle.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SS&Product_Code=BMBE&Category_Code=BMS2

And yeah, those wraps over the stirrup straps are a pain bc I have a beast of a time shortening the stirrups enough with them in the way. Not sure if I want to keep this saddle or not, although I'd like if it weren't for that painful issue.

Knee flaps, they're called knee flaps! THAT is what is killing my calves!

Cloudy,
Did you call Savvy Sports saddle and talk to them about the saddle? Perhaps it is defective and they can send you another to try.

At least that would rule that out.

cloudy18
Jun. 21, 2010, 02:23 PM
No, I plan on calling after work and see if they have ideas/suggestions.

I had a minute and called. She had only heard of one other person complain and they ordered a sheepskin cover to cover the flap. So I guess that is another option. An expensive one, so I have to try the above suggestions first.

GreyDes
Jun. 21, 2010, 05:43 PM
OP - Not sure how tall you are, but perhaps you need the youth cut model? It's designed for shorter legs, and the flaps are shorter. You might want to mention it when you call...

cloudy18
Jun. 21, 2010, 06:32 PM
I'm 5'4". If the knee flap ends up higher from the youth cut isn't it just going to rub a different area? (I ordered a Skito pad bc I need that in a month for my trip and it's going to take that long to get.) I rode in a friend's saddle that was too large for me and never noticed the flaps. I am really hoping to oil it up good and break it in, and change out the stirrup straps if need be. I guess if I hate the whole thing I can sell it and not be out much more than if I sent it back. Saddle shopping sucks, and I really hope this works out. I've heard so many good things.

Also, I have read people's comments here and there that this saddle causes soreness on the horse where your seat bones are, particularly for people who trail ride and are sitting more. Isn't the Skito pad supposed to alleviate that? I'm 125 so don't see that being a huge issue and I was wondering if most of the people leaving these comments used the proper pad.

cowboymom
Jun. 21, 2010, 07:14 PM
I'm a lot more than 125# and I only used a wool pad with my BMSS last summer and logged a ton of miles. You could say I suppose that my rear end was part of the padding process. :lol: My horse was never sore in the back at all; he felt good from the first ride to the last for the first time in seven years. And I checked him obsessively since I had finally switched to a treeless after six years of treed saddles. I upgraded to a HD Air Ride pad for this summer; I decided against the Skito after much research and thought...

I also agree with swapping out the stirrup leather configuration on the saddle, I used english leathers and it works ok but might switch to the dog collars, that's a good idea. I'm only 5 feet tall and my saddle hasn't bothered me a bit but it's the western style...

cloudy18
Jun. 21, 2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks, cowboymom. I'm not too worried about the weight distribution too much-I was pleasantly surprised to see he had the mostly dry spine using just my gel pad.

This is frustrating bc I had hoped to get it and have a nice comfy ride for the summer and especially my SD trip. Now I have to wonder if I made the right choice. I rode in a Western one but didn't want a horn.

Are these the kind of collars you mean, chicamuxen?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3951264

chicamuxen1
Jun. 22, 2010, 07:33 AM
Your link to the Pet Smart site was for single ply collars. Do use double ply collars. I'm 5'3" and have used the collars for years, get a new pair about every 2 years. My neighbor who is a very high middleweight endurance rides and 5'10" also uses dog collars. I bought ones that were way too long for me the first time or two. The collars are for sale just everywhere. Do set them up so that the buckle is down at the stirrups, on the side away from your shin, tail of strap points upwards. cut ii off if it is excessively long. This is similar to how many dressage riders hang their stirrups on their dressage saddles, buckle at the bottom.

http://www.dogsupplies.com/products/Double-Layer-Nylon-Dog-Collars.html

Bonnie

cloudy18
Jun. 22, 2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks! I didn't think those were heavy duty collars. Maybe i can get some in green and look cool.:D

Halcyon Days
Jun. 22, 2010, 10:45 AM
I had the same problem with a new BM, but those flaps do break in pretty quickly, try shortening or lengthening your stirrups for a couple rides, oil the heck out of that flap, and roll it/work it with your fingers to break it in. Of course you can order the full length sheepskin cover and have instant comfort (it will also keep your saddle looking fantastic)

cloudy18
Jun. 22, 2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks, that gives me hope! I was pretty upset that it did that. It's been three days and I still have a large slightly raised area on one calf and a smudge of bruising. With all the rain we have been getting I should get a chance to drag it inside and oil it and break it in by hand.