PDA

View Full Version : Question for upper level riders

caevent
Jun. 19, 2010, 11:44 PM
I'm curious to hear other riders' opinions: At what level do you think it important to start to use an overgirth on cross country? Do you tape up bridle buckles for extra security? Have you ever had a tack "malfunction" while out on course? Any other extra safety measures that you add to your gear when getting ready to go gallop a big course?

Any tack stores that sell good girths with loops for an overgirth? Or should I just take mine to a leather repair? Thanks for your thoughts. :D

caevent
Jun. 20, 2010, 11:26 AM
Funny timing on my post; just read eventingnation.com sunday blog and they have a bit about overgirths. Anyone else care to share their preferences?

tuppysmom
Jun. 20, 2010, 11:41 AM
We don't use overgirths anymore like we did with the LF. I do still tape the buckles and put on new reins for ****.

BigRuss1996
Jun. 20, 2010, 12:22 PM
No overgirths anymore...we use to use them for the long format 3-days and only ever for Intermediate and above.
We do put duct tape on the reins and the bridle where it attaches to the bit. We also duct tape over the velcro on the boots.
I do still have a couple overgirths but they are on a shelf along with the weights and weight pad of "the good ol' days"

retreadeventer
Jun. 20, 2010, 03:57 PM
Weight pads! There's a moldy oldy! :)

caevent
Jun. 20, 2010, 05:07 PM
LOL, I was looking at the USEA event packing checklist on their website. They still list a weight pad and lead. :lol: Perhaps it's time to give that an update?

Bobthehorse
Jun. 20, 2010, 07:04 PM
Its weird, when I first went Training in '01 I used one, and they were very common especially at 3 days. But now, I NEVER see any upper level riders wearing them. I dont really know why, I realize its a shorter format now, but surely its worth the trouble of putting one on rather than having a malfunction and baling. My hunter friend ate dirt recently after her girth busted, and it wasnt an especially old or worn girth. I wore mine at Prelim.

I got mine in Ireland and had loops sewn on my long girth at the local saddlery. Then I put long billets on my saddle, and my dressage girth already has loops.