PDA

View Full Version : Really stupid harrow question

FairWeather
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:23 PM
I have an 8' chain harrow that I have a problem with. I'd like to turn it OVER. Turns out this isn't as easy as yanking it backwards with a long chain. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any tricks to flipping these things over without ending up in tears and/or divorce?

tangledweb
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:42 PM
I'm assuming you don't have a front end loader?

You could use a log or 4 by 4 as a stiff leg to help the chain lift the far side rather than just drag it.

Here is the best diagram I could find:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/roll%20over%20stiff%20leg.jpg

basically cut a notch in each end of it so the harrow and chain will stay where you put them and wedge it against the near side of the harrow with the chain running over it an to the far side. The leg should be leaning away from whatever you are pulling with.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Jun. 19, 2010, 10:08 PM
I flip mine with the bucket on the tractor. If you don't have one, park the drag under a stout tree, hook a chain onto the front, over the lowest limb that will allow it to hang free, hook to mule, truck, etc & pick it up. Then when you're letting it down, just pull the end in the new direction. If it's heavy, might need some help or another small rig to pull it out so it won't fall in a tangled heap. That's what's good about the tractor. I can just pick it up & then slowly back out from under it.

ShotenStar
Jun. 20, 2010, 08:29 AM
I flip mine by:

-using the drag bar as a handle
-stand in the middle of the drag
-begin lifting the end with the drag bar and
-folding it over the drag
-continue pulling the end with the drag bar towards you, rolling it across the top of the drag as you step backwards (carefully please ... falling on the drag is not fun).

Doing it this way, you are not trying to lift the entire weight of the drag at once. You are only pulling one-quarter of the weight.

If yours is 8 ft wide (mine is only 6), it might take two people to do the pulling, but the pull and roll technique works.

*star*