PDA

View Full Version : anyone have/use 'horse fly net' ?

ayrabz
Jun. 19, 2010, 06:17 PM
http://www.horseflynet.com/about.html --------- I'd love to hear your opinions if so---- The little barn has no overhang where the barn doors will be...and that gets the full summer morning sun----I was thinking of installing these during the summer months IF they truly created enough shade, while still allowing enough air flow.

goodhors
Jun. 21, 2010, 11:22 AM
I have seen such hanging shades/nets in cattle barns in our local Fairgrounds. The sheds have a peaked roof, with a center fence to tie the cattle to. The netting is hung from the edges of the roof, down about 8ft.

Really seems to provide a LOT of shade, but still airy with the higher inside roof for heat to rise into. Cattle put out a lot of heat, so they need air moving.

Going into the sheds, is almost like putting on GOOD sunglasses, very shady but visible. You FEEL cooler, not sure if that is actually true without a thermometer to check!! Cattle seem easy, calm and laying down. Lots less flies in darker shed than with sun.

You might check around in cattle products, for shade screening products. Cattle stuff is almost always cheaper than something sold to horse owners!! Cows are as hard on equipment as horses, so how well it stands up to use should be pretty equal if horses don't make screen a toy.

kaluha2
Jun. 21, 2010, 12:37 PM
I bought 12x6 version of this that is used on decks, or to enclose a porch or to use in the garden to protect sensitive plants from uv rays. It works wonderfully all around the summer stall I have in a pasture for my grey mare. The bottom half of the stall is plywood while the top half is the uv screening.

The 12x6 uv screening was $24.00 at Wal-Mart and has it's own staples that go right on the wood of the stall. My horse loves it in there.

ayrabz
Jun. 21, 2010, 05:30 PM
thanks! I'll check out the alternatives suggested! (I wouldn't be able to 'staple' it, as it will be up for summers and stored for winters, but I'm sure I could find a way? to add grommets/etc myself!)

ayrabz
Jun. 21, 2010, 05:51 PM
kaluah2---I did some quick searching at Walmart, and couldn't find it? Can you give me more info? (i.e. what department I search through, etc? I looked in Outdoor living, etc...but found nothing like that....)
thanks!

justdandy
Jun. 22, 2010, 10:11 AM
I got this (http://www.tractorsupply.com/tarps/nylon-mesh-tarps/weathermaster-mesh-tarp-11-ft-4-in-x-15-ft-8-in-3000407)
from Tractor Supply. It works great!!! I have it on both ends of my aisle. Love them and their much cheaper than the horsefly nets. :yes::yes:

ETA: This tarp has the holes in it. I have mine held up with these types of hooks (http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/material-handling/racking-storage/screw-hook-1-frasl-4-in-x-4-1-frasl-4-in-stainless-steel-3552632).

kaluha2
Jun. 22, 2010, 06:26 PM
Sorry I forgot to check back on this thread.

I buy my uv netting at Wal-Mart and you can find it in the garden center. They also sell it at Home Depot but I believe it is a few dollars more there than at Wal-Mart. The colors are brown and green. I have the green screening and it looks quite nice actually and does a fantastic job of keeping the sun out and letting the cool breeze through.

It is not really staples that are used to nail this to the wood of your stall but more like a steel piece that you hammer into the wood on top of the screening.

Anyway, I also take mine down for winter and put it back up in the spring. Very handy stuff and the stall is super cool and quite dark and it lets alot of air blow through the screening.

I have a new roll that I bought thinking I would expand the stall to include an overhang or a storage area but never used it. If I muster up the courage to lift the tarp that I have it stored under with excess lumber I'll jot down the nuber for the maufacturer for you. I don't know though it is kind of creepy under there.

Allright---I'm mustering the courage right now. I'll have the info for you girls shortly.

kaluha2
Jun. 22, 2010, 08:45 PM
Here's the info:

Easy Gardener Products Inc
Website
3022 Franklin Ave ยท Waco
(254) 753-5353

It is the "Sun Screen Fabric" and from their website it is sold practically everywhere. I just love this stuff. It protects 75% from UV rays which is great for me having a grey/white mare and some pink skin. She burns easily. I think this would work great for an appy with uveitus too.Anyway call your local Wal-Mart or Home Depot or look in the garden center. It is really used on the roofs or walls of an outside deck so the sun won't blair down on you while your sipping a mint julip. LOL! The item number on this package I have is 74015 or 74012. It is green but they have quite a few different colors. Really very nice and CHEAP! Where else can you get uv screening in a 6x12 roll for $24 or $26. Let me know if you need further info.

KrazyTBMare
Jun. 22, 2010, 10:48 PM
How tough is this stuff from Walmart? Is it similar to a regular screened in porch type material? Harder like a Kensington fly sheet?

I found this stuff which is cheaper than the OP but not as cheap as the Walmart stuff:

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_shade_houses_material-ft1_prefabricated_shade_panels;1fa6e215.html

This is a tough, woven material that will stand up to pesky baby horses who want to chew or try to tear down a shade panel. I would love to get the cheaper stuff but worry it would be a waste.

ayrabz
Jun. 23, 2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys! Lots of great info/products to review! I too, wonder? if there is a great difference in quality? One thing, is the horseflynet does come with the closer spaced grommets/already positioned on all 4 edges....so, fitting those into/onto the roll of fabric would be extra cost/work....also, mine will be used for the 'people' door covering...where I would lead a horse in/out to the washrack, but it wouldn't be freely accessible to them---I'm thinking of putting up a cafe rod/shower curtain rod/or even pipe across the top of the 7'4" wide/9 ft. high opening...securing the grommets down the left hand side to the wood frame, and leaving the right hand side 'open' for entry/exit but with a double ended hook for securing midway.

I wish we were able? to know the products' differences in weight/durability/make up...but not sure how to do that other than visiting and looking at each.

kaluha2
Jun. 23, 2010, 01:36 PM
No you would be better off getting the woven sheet if you have babies that might chew or try to tear it down. This stuff is tough but wouldn't hold up to that type of treatment. It works great for a mannerly horse though. I bought it three years ago and it still is in great shape. It is more of a screened material than a flimsy fabric.