PDA

View Full Version : When to start wearing white breeches?

kkindley
Jun. 19, 2010, 04:42 PM
What level do you typically start wearing white breeches for dressage? as I side question, what level do you start braiding for too?

bornfreenowexpensive
Jun. 19, 2010, 04:48 PM
Never will wear white. never. But if you want to...you can wear it whenever.

I braid when I have time.....will not feel bad if I don't get it done for anything below Prelim

hldyrhrses
Jun. 19, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'll wear white breeches when i can get within 50 feet of a horse and not get dirty!!!! I like to braid for all shows, but that is purely a personal choice. I feel it gets me in the serious competition mode, the horse looks better and shows respect for the judges.... but that's just my opinion!

kkindley
Jun. 19, 2010, 05:03 PM
I completely understand about keeping white clean! I like to wear white, and braid. I think it makes me look very well turned out, BUT I don't want to look over the top. :D

subk
Jun. 19, 2010, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=kkindley;4932811]What level do you typically start wearing white breeches for dressage?/QUOTE]
That would be when my weight "levels" out about 20 lbs less than where it currently is...i.e never.

If you WANT to wear white and braid by all means at BN or lower!

HappyRiding
Jun. 19, 2010, 05:34 PM
I personally believe white breeches are for men so I don't think I'll ever wear them but you can where them whenever you want to. If you are going to wear white pants I'd also like to see you wearing white gloves, and if tan black/blue gloves thats just a pet peeve of mine. Also you can braid/not braid technically at any level except for at FEI events where it is required.

edit braiding is also required at championships if i remember correctly!

three_dayer
Jun. 19, 2010, 05:45 PM
I have cream colored breeches..they are light enough, but it will not show dirt quite as much as white...as for white on x-c no way! the two times I wore white I fell off...if you want to wear white, fine, if you don't it is fine too..:)

yellowbritches
Jun. 19, 2010, 06:57 PM
I almost always braid (occasionally I'll skip it for a BN or N horse), but I refuse to wear white britches. I think they are too formal for most one days, I would never keep them clean, and I don't think they are flattering at all. If the shadbelly gets to be broken out this fall, there will be a BIG debate on what I will wear with it. :yes:

subk
Jun. 19, 2010, 07:03 PM
If the shadbelly gets to be broken out this fall, there will be a BIG debate on what I will wear with it. :yes:
Yellowbritches, is there really any question in the matter? :D

Thomas_1
Jun. 19, 2010, 07:05 PM
When you weigh less than 140 lbs and have staff to keep the horses clean. :winkgrin:

yellowbritches
Jun. 19, 2010, 07:08 PM
Yellowbritches, is there really any question in the matter? :D
Boy, if I could find a good classy looking pair of yellow britches, I would consider it! I haven't worn any in a few years because I can't find any I really like...I wish Ariat would make the Brittany (my faves) in canary!!!

Other choices would be a cream or just stick with beige...white is highly doubtful. Yellow will only be if Vernon and I can do a test that will be memorable for something OTHER than our shenanigans. :lol: Otherwise, I'd like to be a little less, umm, out going. ;)

Bobthehorse
Jun. 19, 2010, 07:09 PM
Wear white when you want, its a personal choice like a navy vs black coat. White gloves are another matter.....

I always braid, I like my horse to be flawlessly turned out because no matter the level I put a lot of work into their training and my own training and I take pride in our appearance. I dont the the level should dictate the horses' turnout, one person's Prelim is another person's Novice.

dotneko
Jun. 19, 2010, 07:14 PM
Well brought up young ladies don't
wear white before Memorial Day, of course.
So for events in April and May that means
either a cream or off-white pair.
Braiding is always in fashion.

lizajane09
Jun. 19, 2010, 07:56 PM
I started wearing my "white" (really closer to cream, definitely not bright blinding white) breeches for dressage at Prelim. Training and below, I wore tan. For one day horse trials, I still just wear my tan for all three phases, even at Intermediate. As far as keeping them clean goes, I wear a pair of hospital scrub pants (fairly durable and lightweight) over them right up until I'm about to get on the horse!

Braiding I've pretty much always done for a recognized horse trials, unless the organizers specified that it was unnecessary.

deltawave
Jun. 20, 2010, 07:21 PM
I stopped wearing white breeches when the only pair I have ever owned got trashed. It took a few months--I got lucky. :lol:

White is NEVER "required", traditionally is NOT appropriate for women (although it is legal) and . . . well . . . WHY? ;) If it's what you love, wear it. But IMO it looks too stark and formal.

If the shadbelly gets to be broken out this fall, there will be a BIG debate on what I will wear with it.

YB, when you break out that shadbelly, I hope what you will wear with it is a certified helmet. :yes:

I braid at all levels for dressage unless it's an unrecognized show or something comes up where I really and truly can't pull it off.

VCT
Jun. 20, 2010, 08:07 PM
I did bit check at a HT this weekend. During my hours my ring had all BN and N riders. Almost ALL had white breeches... I was a little amazed by that. I have nothing against them, I think they look nice actually.. but was surprised at the overall trend to them at the lower levels.

I might get some someday. I think they'd look nice with my horses who both have a lot of white on them... one is a liver chestnut pinto with big white splotches, the other is a leopard app.

I don't braid for schooling shows or mini trials. I've not ridden in a recog. HT but one of my horses went in a couple with another rider. I braided him for those.

CANTEREOIN
Jun. 20, 2010, 09:25 PM
I always braid... for recognized shows, I would love to see every horse turned out with braids...

As for white, I have dreamed of wearing white breeches for dressage. Unfortunately, I've had to scratch ever show I've entered that ran over a couple of days where I planned to where my white breeches.

That said, white breeches are bad luck for me.... {{{{sigh}}}}

yellowbritches
Jun. 21, 2010, 10:38 AM
YB, when you break out that shadbelly, I hope what you will wear with it is a certified helmet.
dw, this is the even bigger debate the what color britches to be worn. Especially since the top hat sits in its box in the closet right above the shadbelly. But I will probably wear a helmet. Because A) Vernon, while he IS behaving better, still every now and then throws in a little something to spice up our dressage tests and B) why not? I'm BEGGING for a GR8 for my birthday. :lol:

Beam Me Up
Jun. 21, 2010, 11:00 AM
You can wear white anytime you want (within the rules--traditionalists will say no white for women ever). I don't think you see more white at higher levels anymore--now that most events are 1-2 days and people are not changing outfits to jump.

Personally, I never want to (gets dirty, not flattering) though I did go through a phase of wearing it as a YR, when it seemed like everyone was doing it, and I was a lot skinnier.

As for braiding, I don't believe it's ever required (even at championships--would they really turn down a horse with a roached mane, say?)

I usually do braid at prelim and not below, though have made exceptions to that in both directions. If I am working with a coach who likes their students braided, and is in attendance, I'll usually suck it up and do it. If not, I don't think it is usually the best use of my time or that it puts my horse in a great mood. When I do braid I do the big kind (like 10-15 braids) which speeds things up.

graytbmare
Jun. 21, 2010, 11:01 AM
I found a barely (as in maybe never :) ) used pair of cream colored pytchleys at a used tack show for $15, such a good deal I couldnt turn them down! I think they look great with my black dressage coat AND they hide the dirt better than white.... still wear windpants over them before I get one. I try to braid for almost everything... I figure the more I braid, the more the horse will learn to stand and I might possibly become a decent braider sometime :)

oldbutnotdead
Jun. 21, 2010, 05:09 PM
What color shirt do you wear with cream breeches? I bought a champagne shirt and stock tie, and they do not look good with my cream breeches.

wildlifer
Jun. 21, 2010, 06:55 PM
When horse sports stop involving poop and dirt and slobber.

Ishi
Jun. 21, 2010, 07:12 PM
I usually wear white for Prelim and higher, but when I have a bunch of horses going in one day with some at Prelim and maybe 1 at N I'm not going to change just for that N horse ;) What I get into at the crack of dawn is what stays on until the last horse is done with XC and then I grab a beer and put shorts on!

I braid 100% of the time, no matter what level, it takes all of 25 minutes to do it very nicely and is so easy, why not? If braiding isn't your thing or doesn't come out well, I would rather see a well groomed tidy horse unbraided then one with braids sticking out all over.

I hardly ever notice what anyone else is wearing, I'm usually too busy with my own horses, but I have always wanted a navy dressage coat, I notice them, I think they are so spiffy. My DH has a navy shadbelly that is to die for gorgeous, I'm so jealous!

Kcisawesome
Jun. 21, 2010, 08:07 PM
I wore tan breeches, black gloves and braids at BN-T. When I moved up to Prelim I switched to white breeches, white gloves and all my crazy tye-dye XC stuff was replaced with solid colors. Now I'll still wear white if I'm showing a greener horse. Even if it looks too over-the-top, it makes me feel like I'm a profesional which helps boost my confidence, which helps me control my nerves. :)

I won't braid at starter. :P

graytbmare
Jun. 21, 2010, 10:17 PM
What color shirt do you wear with cream breeches? I bought a champagne shirt and stock tie, and they do not look good with my cream breeches.

I wear a white shirt and stock tie with them... they look almost white on their own, but if you hold them next to something white they are definitely cream.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/photo.php?pid=30868764&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=5503139&id=1371330198&ref=pf&fbid=1315946543351

Coeur*de*Cheval
Jun. 21, 2010, 10:46 PM
Our entire barn wears cream or white breeches for dressage, white breeches for cross country, and white (tan is permitted but not recommended) breeches for stadium. As for braiding-every horse, every level, every event is braided for dressage and cross country. Then depending on placing (10th and up braid) and how the braids look horses may or may not be braided for stadium.

goeslikestink
Jun. 23, 2010, 03:14 PM
depends what i amdoing as to what colour jods
but i always wear a track suit bottom over them and take them off just before i go in the event/ring whatever