PDA

View Full Version : Fly control/Pennies in Ziplock baggie with water!

grayarabs
Jun. 19, 2010, 03:32 PM
Had noticed barn had hung water-filled baggies with something brown in them.
Closer inspection - there are about six pennies in each bag. These are ziplock bags tacked into place. There are two on my horses shed. Keep forgetting to ask barn staff about this, but notice there are less flies around. Just "googled" and found several discussions about this. I think it works!!! Has this method been discussed on CoTH before? If yes, I must have missed it.

Laurierace
Jun. 19, 2010, 03:47 PM
i don't think you need the pennies, just the water in the baggies. Its very common in Mexico in outside eateries. Supposedly the water magnifies the flies and they get scared of themselves or something like that.

CHS
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:11 PM
I tried it with and without the pennies. Neither worked at all. They're still hanging up. I guess I keep hoping they may eventually work? I have no idea. Don't waste your bags/pennies.

msj
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:20 PM
I've had 2 bags with pennies in them in my kitchen for about 2-3 weeks and still haven't gotten around to taking them out to the barn and filling with water. So far the only flies I have are at the manure dumpter and those are just the little gnats or black flies. I'm sure I'll get some flies when it really gets warm and muggy but so far, none. It was hot and muggy today actually, but no flies yet and believe me, I'm NOT complaining. :D

Mr.GMan
Jun. 19, 2010, 10:36 PM
I have a couple of bags with pennies hung on my side porch where the trash bins are. It is 95-98 degrees here in my neck of NC and I usually have tons of flies around the trash. Only a few brave ones venture to the side porch now for their meal.

I need to do this at the barn too to see how much it will cut down on the fly population gathering around the stalls and feed bins. But at least for one situations it works!

tidy rabbit
Jun. 19, 2010, 10:41 PM
Oh someone made that up as a joke. That can't possibly work.

Zu Zu
Jun. 19, 2010, 10:49 PM
I think it works with $100.00 dollar bills ~ let's try it at my barn - donations please ! :D:cool::lol:

deltawave
Jun. 20, 2010, 11:27 AM
I think it's like a chain letter--keeps getting passed around and never dies. :lol:

Flies get a little better, flies get a little worse. My observation is that it is much more a product of recent rainfall, prevailing winds and temperature than anything else. When do we try something? When things are at their worst, out of sheer desperation. What happens when something cyclical is at its worst? It gets better. A miracle! :D

CatOnLap
Jun. 20, 2010, 11:47 AM
if the magnification idea worked, flies would not swarm around my hummingbird feeder which is round clear glass and filled with clear solution.
Snopes is not sure, but the one scientist who studied the idea in an objective way found the plastic baggies with water actually attracted more flies.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/flies.asp

TrueColours
Jun. 20, 2010, 12:58 PM
If we hung big mirrors instead in every stall so a LOT of flies could see themselves at the same time, does that mean "0" flies where mirrors are hung???

I dont THINK so ... :no:

Foxtrot's
Jun. 20, 2010, 01:31 PM
At my place, flies LOVE company.

deltawave
Jun. 20, 2010, 01:31 PM
Why would a fly be afraid of a giant fly, anyway?

Not that it's wise to contemplate the inner lives of flies. Better off squishing them. :)

grayarabs
Jun. 20, 2010, 04:14 PM
Google search found this - from 2006:

www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=88637

deltawave
Jun. 20, 2010, 07:13 PM
See? It's a chain letter. Same reference to Mexican restaurants and everything. Google gives urban legends a life of their own. :)

MistyBlue
Jun. 20, 2010, 07:17 PM
It might work if you put the flies in the plastic baggie...with or without water. :winkgrin:

I've heard of shiny or reflective things possibly repelling some types of birds...not flies though.
And some fly traps work by visially attracting biting flies, but can't think of a visual that would repel them.
Insects in general might have a strong ATTACK trigger but I've never seen one that has a strong RETREAT trigger. ;)

paintjumper
Jun. 20, 2010, 09:00 PM
They have a bag over the door at the local land fill at their little office and I asked what it was there for and the lady in the office said it was to keep the flies out of the office. She said it worked very well compared to it not being there. I'm not sure WHY it works though.

blue phlox farm
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:10 PM
My neighbors think I'm nuts when I run around my pastures banging metal trash can lids together to chase the deer out, now they'll really believe my questionable insanity when I start hanging waterfilled baggies around. (I'm suddenly envisioning all my horses turned out with ziplock sandwich baggies hanging from their manes and tails. If it works in the barn, then maybe...) What a fun way to rid yourself of flies, and think of the water balloon type fights you can have at summer's end with the baggies! Can't hurt, might help. I'm giving it a try!

Hip
Jun. 21, 2010, 10:42 AM
I've seen these used in some Texas restaurants. The waitress at one told me that the penny 'looks' like a spider to a fly, so they stay away. If they do venture over and land, the water will vibrate and scare the fly off, lest they, ahem, think the spider is going to spring over and nab them to nosh.

Actually, looking around in that particular restaurant, there weren't many flies flying around. I think there may be some truth to it. The trick may be that you have to put a LOT of them up, like every 4 feet or so.

Oldenburg Mom
Jun. 21, 2010, 11:20 AM
Not that it's wise to contemplate the inner lives of flies.

ROTFLMAO.

Plus, this one from UD, had me crying with laughter ...
I can just imagine all these poor flies flying off saying, "I just knew we should've had our compound eyes checked that last time we went in for lenses!"

Hey 64 eyes, they're a drawback you know!!!!!

grayarabs
Jun. 21, 2010, 03:19 PM
Made my clinical observations yesterday evening.
All the horses are in small individual paddocks - each with own shed.
My horse shares a divided shed with a very old toothless App.
The App gums his feed - leaves it - and eats when he feels like it. Always flies wherever his food is. Walls sprayed down etc. Two baggies were hung on the shed. Prior to this, flies so bad BM decided to feed the App away from shed. But, he would drop his food on the ground/mat and still attract flies. My horse is fed soaked alfalfa cubes. Ground feeder just outside/beside shed. Even with fly spray the flies would annoy his legs and he would wipe his mouth on his legs. In the summer months I am always having to clean/brush off the crusted food on his front legs.
Yesterday, BM tacked a baggie on fencepost right by Apps feeder.
Also,tacked another one on the side of my horse's shed by his feeder.
At this point I was not really paying attention to flies. Had taken my horse up to groom him and noticed he had almost no food remnants on his legs.
When I took him back to his paddock to eat is when it all dawned on me.
He was not wiping his mouth on his legs. He was eating peacefully.
Clean legs - no green alfalfa slime. There were no flies. Went over to App's feeder - Equine Sr - spilled everywhere - no flies. I observed for several minutes not believing it. A nutty as the "myth" sounds I do think it works, unless there is another reason there are no flies. The baggies are sandwich-size - so not ridiculously obvious.

kellidahorsegirl
Jun. 21, 2010, 03:40 PM
I tried it a couple years ago because I was desperate HAHA.
I hung several up on the frame of a 'lean to'......horses thought they were those jolly ball things......drained all the water. AHHA

So yeah, didn't really work.

I find that spraying manure and/or mud piles with fly spray kills most of the babies and then not as many hatch. Way I see it, those stupid flies won't ever go away :(