PDA

View Full Version : Statistics

avezan
Jun. 19, 2010, 07:04 AM
I've looked around the USEA site, but haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the statistics on the number of riders that compete at each level. For example, of USEA members that compete, during a single year what percentage compete at novice? intermediate? advanced? etc. ANY stats would be useful, the specifics don't matter. Can anyone point me in the right direction? TIA

Badger
Jun. 19, 2010, 07:34 AM
Denny put this in a column one time. IIRC, it's less than 1% at advanced, about 3% at intermediate, 7% at prelim, 15% at training and the other 75% are at novice and below.

avezan
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks Badger. Those were around the numbers I was thinking of, but I need to find an official source. If anyone knows were I can find them, please let me know. Thanks!

denny
Jun. 19, 2010, 10:14 AM
The biggest problem is that no one knows how many riders there are in American eventing, because so many of them only ride in USEA unrecognized events, and aren`t USEA members. There may well be nearly as many non USEA eventers as those who join, which would skew the statistics a great deal.

avezan
Jun. 19, 2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks Denny! Yes, I realize getting an accurate statistic for ALL eventers would be impossible due to all the non-USEA members and unrecognized events. But I'm actually just looking for ANY sort of statistic, even if it is USEA members at USEA recognized events only. Gosh, even if it were for a couple of particular events, although those statistics may not be as useful depending on what levels were offered. But that is something I could gather....hmm....thinking out loud.

Here is what I am trying to do. I'm writing a letter of recommendation for someone for something that is totally unrelated to horses. This person has competed successfully at Intermediate and I would like to point out what a high accomplishment this is to non-horse people by giving them some statistics. I don't want to make something up or be very vague. So, if anyone knows of any sort of actual statistics with regard to level, I would love to use them! Thanks.

deltawave
Jun. 19, 2010, 11:33 AM
I think it would be fair to say that competing at Intermediate puts a rider in a group where only approximately 5% of people in the sport compete. You have to compare apples to apples--the statistics might be very different in another country, for instance, but just looking at entry numbers for a typical multi-level Horse Trial at each of the levels would give you a number to go with. Check the entry lists for a big show that does all levels and you'll get a good ballpark figure.

But it does seem to me that USEA publishes these statistics in Eventing magazine from time to time--worth shooting them an email, maybe.

retreadeventer
Jun. 19, 2010, 05:18 PM
Ave, check with your Area Chairman. Not sure if you are a USEA member or not, but all area chairmen from my understanding get entry statistics for the events within their areas. If your area chairman can give you some raw numbers, you should be able to extrapolate your percentage.
I agree this is a stat we should have at our fingertips but I suspect it has to be a closely held secret for marketing purposes. Getting those big sponsors is probably based on perception that expensive stuff is bought by upper level riders; and knowing exactly how few of them we have might not be a good sell.