PDA

View Full Version : The little used vehicle, or I should stop complaining already

Alagirl
Jun. 18, 2010, 08:28 PM
Took the second vehicle out today. Since I am at home, husband works nights I usually take the truck when I run errands.

Had to get gas, because when the little used (very old) van dies, I don't want to have it's value equivalent in gas in the tank.

I open the little door, reach in to open the cap, when a couple of wasps buzz out...that was the second time that happened, my hand less than an inch away from a little nest in the little space nect to the gas cap....

I really should stop complaining how things aren't going my way right now, considering I should have collected my econd painful wasp sting today...

So, boys and girls, look before you stick your hands into out of the way places...

MistyBlue
Jun. 18, 2010, 09:25 PM
I've had similar problems recently with our older-than-dirt Jeep. It started having multiple things wrong with it, no longer safe for the road and just so old and beat up it didn't make financial sense to repair it fully. SO I was using it like a Gator on the property only. It was a lot easier to zip the Jeep down to the barn and through gates to bring feed store stuff down, or move heavy items around by either stuffing them in or dragging them behind.
Last fall the Jeep had a mental breakdown...turned it on and everything electrical went on. Wipers, windshield fluid squirting, radio, hazards, interior lights...you name it. Moved the Jeep to a different location and then couldn't turn it off. Even with the keys removed. So disconnected the battery.

Didn't bother with it again until early spring...it has all sorts of critter nests under the hood and wasps nests built here and there. *sigh* Guess it's time to call the Big Junkyard In The Sky to come pick up my beloved old Jeep. :no:

I had yellow jackets move into every crevice in my tractor 2 summers ago, Mr Blue parked it in the sun and we didn't use it for a week. Just walking past it, if you came within 10 feet all the nests emptied and those nasty things would chase you.

I had to use 3 cans of foaming wasp killer and sprayed it after dark. When I was done getting into every pipe, tube, nook and cranny and the foam all expanded it looked like I had a gigantic marshmellow in the driveway! :lol:

Long Spot
Jun. 19, 2010, 12:50 AM
Misty, that reminds me of the old truck I had that I used to feed and do barn chores with. It decided it's horn would go off for no apparent reason. And not just a honk. One long "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH". Weirdly enough if you unhooked the battery and hooked it back up it would quit for a week or so. I ended up trading it to my farrier for his 16 year old son to fiddle with. I bet their neighbors hated them as much as mine hated me.

msj
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:43 AM
I learned the hard way about leaving any vehicle, mower, tractor etc outside where the damned wasps could build a nest. Now, every time I use whatever implement, it goes right into the indoor so the wasps don't build their nests.

I've got a couple of old gates that the underside of the rails have rusted out from water draining down and the bloody wasps have built nests there. Since I'm going to be doing another fencing job in a yr or so and will need some more gates, I'll wait until then to replace the 'holey' gates. The gates are still are OK otherwise so I just wrapped duct tape around the rusted out areas. Now my gates are silver and red! :D

spaceagevalkyrie
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:59 PM
so I just wrapped duct tape around the rusted out areas. Now my gates are silver and red! :D

So they'll look like giant candy canes? Don't bees like sweet stuff? :lol: :winkgrin:

msj
Jun. 20, 2010, 08:13 AM
So they'll look like giant candy canes? Don't bees like sweet stuff? :lol: :winkgrin:

:lol: :lol::lol:

I do believe that bees like sweet stuff but they don't build nests in my gates. For the record, I even use duct tape on the bottom of the gates(when I remember) so they can't fly in that way and build. :D :D

saje
Jun. 20, 2010, 08:42 AM
That expandable foam insulation works great for keeping wasps out of pipe gates.

I didn't get wasps in the tractor, but I think I did kill a nest of baby wrens :( Didn't use the thing for a week or two, then used it briefly but parked it in a different place. Next time I used it it smelled like death as it heated up, and later I remembered that the wrens had been going nuts not long ago. Took a peek in the grill and sure enough there's the remains of a nest :( :(