PDA

View Full Version : What works best for face flies???

cdalt
Jun. 18, 2010, 06:32 PM
Just moved to SE TN and discovered that we don't (at least right now) seem to have any of those nasty green flies or the huge black ones that come out at dusk and dawn but have oddles of face flies swarming around the horses eyes and muzzles. I've put fly masks on all of them but need to do something about the area near their nostrils. Do you know of anything that works? What about fly traps - would they help with face flies? Fly predators? Thanks for your advice.

SMF11
Jun. 18, 2010, 11:47 PM
I'm interested in the answers posted here too! At the moment, what I do is put swat under their eyes in the evening when I take the masks off. It does seem to work, although it also seems to wear off by morning when I feed/put masks on. I'm sure you know of the long nose fly masks? They work quite well keeping the flies off noses too.

Twiliath
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:57 AM
This is what I found when I Googled "greenhead flies": http://www.stopbitingme.com/ordernow.html. I've ordered four cans. We'll see.

deltawave
Jun. 19, 2010, 11:19 AM
Mine don't seem to get flies around their muzzles--maybe their faces are covered with something that flies like? Wipe off their muzzles with a baby wipe when they come in for the night, maybe? Or try some Deep Woods Off wipes--kill two birds (and hopefully many flies) with one stone?

It's way late for fly predators to make an impact this season, but I've never had much luck with them anyhow. I'm a feed-through (Solitude) believer, and even that has to be started when there's still snow on the ground.

ryansgirl
Jun. 19, 2010, 02:39 PM
Try a fly mask w/ the long nose - that should help. I started using Fly Eliminators this year and WOW - what a difference. I have hardly seen a single fly and my horses aren't stomping the ground constantly. It may be too late to start them but you can call and see what they recommend. Having seen the results I will be ordering them every year! :)

katarine
Jun. 20, 2010, 04:40 PM
I just spent 4 days in the Smokies in Townsend, TN and I feel your pain. Those face flies were hideous. They look like regular stable flies but they swarm the eyes and muzzle. My horses were miserable. Deep Woods Off works on the face and that's what I used, spraying it on a baby wipe and slathering it on...but you can't do anything about the flies that literally crowd into the corners of their eyes so masks are requisite. As far as the muzzle, if the horse rubs his nose on his cannon bones- there goes the DWO off the muzzle and onto the legs. Aye aye.

I would buy a Cashel Crusader mask with the long nose and marinate the horse in the DWO. We don't have those flies here at home, they were just terrible.

PS the facility where we camped uses the Fly Predators and still those flies were horrible.

Almost Heaven
Jun. 20, 2010, 09:42 PM
Winter