View Full Version : stupid question - unrolling round hay rolls

Jun. 18, 2010, 06:28 PM
This may a really stupid question but I need to know! I just moved to TN and discovered that almost no one bales square bales of bermuda hay here and I have one IR pony that needs to be kept on low NSC hay. We are almost out of the square bales that we brought along for him and I'm getting a bit desperate. I think I remember folks talking on this forum about unrolling round bales and being able to control the amount fed rather than just eating free choice (pony would become a blimp doing that). Is there any particular way to unroll them or do you just grab some and try to pull it apart? Thanks!

Jun. 18, 2010, 06:30 PM
I don't know how to do it, but BE CAREFUL. Round bales are dangerous if they roll on you.

Jun. 18, 2010, 06:44 PM
You can store a round bale indoors and peel off what you need. Lots of folks feed round bales this way, especially if they don't have many horses and don't want a round bale sitting outside for a long time before they can finish it. Or else they have the type of horses that will eat until the explode. :winkgrin:
But yes, you can take what you need off round bales without having to actually unroll them.

Jun. 18, 2010, 06:46 PM
We just cut the mesh and start pulling. If you have the room to put one flat and unrolll some it would be less labor intensive. It's not that hard to do.... although I do find some bales easier than others!

Jun. 18, 2010, 06:53 PM
We buy the very big round bales now and fork it off into the hay barrow or stuff directly into hay nets for feeding.

The round bale comes off our truck onto a wooden pallet, sitting so it's on the flat end, and the layers come off very easily. The bale doesn't roll once it's set up this way. We just keep peeling until it's gone.

Square bales are easier in some ways, but we love our hay grower and the big round bales are much more cost-effective for us.

Tom King
Jun. 18, 2010, 07:15 PM
If I wanted to do that here's what I would do. Buy a bale spike(spike only) from Agri-Supply http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=49667&cn=1900079&bhcd2=1276902658

mount it in a bearing on the wall in the hay shed, pick the bale up with the loader spike not in the middle, and spear it onto the wall mounted spike close to the middle. After that, you could just cut the net off and spin it as needed to let some unroll for each feeding.

Jun. 18, 2010, 10:26 PM
Just use an old-fashioned pitch fork and fork off the required amount.

Jun. 18, 2010, 11:28 PM
Have you thought about the huge 3x3x5 (or whatever size they are) hay bales? Easier to take hay from than a round. Where are you located? I have several hay sources and I'll check and see if any of them do Bermuda.

Jun. 19, 2010, 09:00 AM
I haven't heard of the large square bales - they sound very interesting and may be what I need. I am in Winchester - about 1 1/2 hour drive SE of Nashville. I'm willing to travel to get good hay for my pudgy pony! Thanks for all of the replies.

Tamara in TN
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:06 AM
Have you thought about the huge 3x3x5 (or whatever size they are) hay bales?


call terry burris (burris farms) unionville and ask where to find them

Tamara in TN

Jun. 19, 2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks Tamara - I will call him today!