PDA

View Full Version : A Thank You to Maui Jim

SandyUHC
Jun. 18, 2010, 04:43 PM
Well, enough time had passed since the untimely demise of my leather-wrapped Ray-Ban aviators in a tractor-related accident that I felt I could commit to another pair of shades. I am the stylin' new owner of a lovely pair of Maui Jim sunglasses!

I think the guy at the store was a bit mystified at my insistence on buying a particular brand but I truly wanted to thank the company for their on-going support of the sport of eventing. Go Maui Jim and Go Eventing!

HR -- Anyone here ride in Maui Jim sunglasses?

flutie1
Jun. 18, 2010, 07:12 PM
With your permission Sandy - may I send your message on to Mike Dalton, the Maui Jim CEO? He has been a fabulous sponsor, and even now, when the Maui Jim Horse Trials which he virtually helped to create "went south" for reasons beyond his control, he continued his support by sponsoring the Maui Jim Eventing Derbies at Lamplight Equestrian Center, July 9-13 and August 13-15. Maui Jim rocks!!!

flutie

SandyUHC
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:23 PM
Of course, I would love it if he knew the sponsorship created a convert! I did some checking before I purchased and the company has an awesome customer service reputation so I'm thinking even if I keep up my ground-testing habit I can always send them in and get them fixed.

A woman virtually ran me down today to get to the counter to get a new pair because she had lost hers, plus the clerk regaled me with stories of rabid MJ owners. Apparently once you go Maui Jim you never go back.

: - )

Best wishes for a big turnout for the MAUI JIM Eventing Derbies!!

Mary in Area 1
Jun. 18, 2010, 10:30 PM
My husband won a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses at GMHA one year, and he was obsessed with them! He usually loses a pair per year, but he kept track of these for several years. He even almost accosted a valet parking attendant thinking he had stolen them, until he found them in the door pocket!

Alas, all good things come to an end--the famous Maui Jims were left in the tractor and, despite frantic searching, never seen again. We like to think they were smashed to tiny pieces and spread throughout our hay, just like our dear friends ashes.

Maybe this would be the perfect Father's Day gift!

SevenDogs
Jun. 19, 2010, 12:23 AM
Prior to their involvement in Eventing, I had never heard of Maui Jim (I don't get out much. :) ), but I have been impressed with their ongoing sponsorships, etc. Recently, I was buying sunglasses and had narrowed it down to a couple of pairs. When I realized one of them was Maui Jim, I immediately ended the search and bought them because of their involvement and support.
Flutie, please pass my comments on as well. I will continue to go out of my way to support them and recommend them to others precisely because of their sponsorship (and I don't think I have actually ever competed at one of their shows!). They also make a heck of a pair of sunglasses! :)

BBowen
Jun. 19, 2010, 02:33 AM
Maui Jim's are THE best sunglasses I have ever worn. A great product. And, Mike Dalton's support of eventing, especially the Maui Jim Horse Trials and now the Maui Jim Eventing Derbies has been phenomenal. His support and Flutie's hard work made Maui Jim Horse Trials a destination event for many years. I too am hooked on Maui Jims. :-)

SandyUHC
Jun. 19, 2010, 11:07 AM
We need an equestrian model -- say, the Sunset with bronze lenses and a different frame color. (Okay, so that's what I want, what can I say.) We can have a contest to come up with a Hawaiian horsey name -- like "Aloha Whoa". Niche market! Great horse show prize, and they already have the great case with the plastic clip just perfect for a saddle D-ring. Then we add a low-profile Coolmax hat with a Maui Jim logo and a nod to horses and we're set!

Flutie, tell Mike I'd be happy to help him design and market the new model in exchange for a free pair -- insurance in case I have another tractor debacle and to possibly keeping me from being like Mary's hubby and going after parking lot attendants!

flutie1
Jun. 19, 2010, 11:10 AM
I just sent your idea on to the marketing guy at Maui!

Curb Appeal
Jun. 19, 2010, 11:15 AM
I was soooo disappointed when the Maui Jim Alanas that I coveted for months did not fit me properly when I finally got them. I love the clarity of their polarized lenses.

SandyUHC
Jun. 19, 2010, 01:38 PM
Curb Appeal -- if you still have them, stop by an optical store and see if they will adjust them for you. Many of the models can be shaped. I had to try quite a few different ones before I found some that accomodated my warped head.

Flutie -- you DID tell him I'd test them for him, right?

; - )

flutie1
Jun. 19, 2010, 02:11 PM
Yep!

secretariat
Jun. 20, 2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks from us as well, to both Maui Jim and Flutie. Megan won a couple pair over the years and always loved them. They were tough enough that she never BROKE them (bent and squashed doesn't count) but she's AWESOME at losing them (and cell phones and credit cards and ......). Put a microchip in them that shows on a GPS (please).

Miriam
Jun. 20, 2010, 09:22 PM
Maui Jims are the only manufacturer that make dark enough lenses for my light colored eyes to be comfy outside. I live in mine. Seriously, there are people that are surprised to see I actually have eyes because I so rarely take them off.

Add that quality to a company that supports my sport? I'm a loyal customer for life.

pixietrix
Jun. 20, 2010, 09:44 PM
:cool: Okay, so I was lucky enough to win the first pair, oh, 10 years ago....and was astounded at the quality. The fact that Maui Jim has been such a long-time supporter of our ( relatively) low-profile sport has also really impressed me.

As a convert, I wear these glasses constantly. I simply won't wear any other brand. Teaching, riding, driving, best of all COMPETING! They stick like glue xc, never slip down and I believe truly improve my vision ( tho I can't claim they make me idiot-proof at all the jumps)....

I can't recommend them enough, nor thank Mike Dalton enough. Great product, great sponsorship.

RacetrackReject
Jun. 21, 2010, 09:54 AM
Why did I go look? Why? The Kula, in bronze.. swoon.

sarapony
Jun. 21, 2010, 10:19 AM
I've had my MJ's for a solid 5 years and have never regretted the splurge.

They are so versatile that I wear them with everything from dresses to breeches. I have dropped them countless times, particularly on the cement floor of the barn, and they have certainly held up better to that abuse than others that preceded them. The frame is starting to chip where they have most frequently encountered the barn floor, but the lenses seem to be indestructible!

flshgordon
Jun. 21, 2010, 06:31 PM
Maui Jims are the only manufacturer that make dark enough lenses for my light colored eyes to be comfy outside. I live in mine. Seriously, there are people that are surprised to see I actually have eyes because I so rarely take them off.

Add that quality to a company that supports my sport? I'm a loyal customer for life.

Add me to the club!!! I have been singing the praises of Maui Jims for riding for YEARS! I love my "Sandy Beach" and have 2 pairs (a riding pair that has a few scratches and another pair) They are lightweight, stop the glare and fit GREAT under a helmet.

Add to that a company that contributes to the sport & I can't imagine why you would buy anything else!!!:yes:

SandyUHC
Jun. 22, 2010, 09:50 AM
I have the "Kanaha", very similar to the "Sandy Beach" -- haven't tried them under my helmet yet so that's good to know.

I've joined the ranks of those who hate to take them off. I have a hard time finding sunglasses that fit so these continue to a marvel, both in comfort and in clarity.

Foxtrot's
Jun. 22, 2010, 04:22 PM
I hate to say it, but I have never been to Maui Jim event and had no idea of why it was called that. So, now I know and that little bit of advertising is good for sponsors .. we need to support them, so spread the word.

Straightarrow
Jun. 22, 2010, 08:48 PM
I wore my Maui's while grooming to ride - they toppled off my egg-shaped head, landed on a rubber floor mat:D:D:D and snapped off the left temple. I was horrified ! Friend said "No Worries". She gave me the address (readily available on the 'Net) to send them in for repair. There was an on-line form to fill in, give a credit card for a $10.00 return ship. Two weeks later, the Maui's were back, in perfect shape, in a brand new case, with a brand new microfiber bag.
I call that GREAT service !!!

IfWishesWereHorses
Jun. 22, 2010, 09:59 PM
Mike gave me a pair of MJ's years ago...and they are still going strong now. I had to get the titanium ones because Im so hard on them!!! The nose rest thingey has fallen off, but I wear them still, regardless! They are the most awesome sunglasses ever.