PDA

View Full Version : showing multiple horses?

mackandblues
Jun. 18, 2010, 03:03 PM
Newbie here - Can you show multiple horses at an event? Can you compete with both of them at the same level? thanks!

lizajane09
Jun. 18, 2010, 03:09 PM
Yep! Some horse trials will have a limit on the total number of horses that one person can compete, but if they do it will be listed in the omnibus. Plenty of people compete more than one horse (at the same or different levels), just make a note on your entry form so that the organizers can give you plenty of time to get to all of your rides.

netg
Jun. 18, 2010, 04:02 PM
Before I bought my horse, my trainer showed him and her horse in the same events, same levels for a year. Good advice from LJ about making a note so the coordinators give you enough time between rides!

archieflies
Jun. 18, 2010, 04:27 PM
You can, however, I wouldn't suggest it when you're first starting out. It can get a little stressful trying to remember all the rules and schedules and when and where to be at given times, walking all your courses, remembering your dressage test... then you double it when you have two horses. I have one in Training and one that I take whenever they offer a Restricted division. I never come out feeling like I gave my best to either when they're both together, and I usually end up getting so stressed that I wish I had left one at home. Of course, I've not been eventing long, so maybe once it all becomes old hat to me, it will be easier to balance both.

Catalina
Jun. 19, 2010, 03:08 PM
I show my two guys at Training and it can be very stressful :yes:. The most important thing is to make sure you have someone to help you because it is extremely difficult to do it all yourself. The organizers are great at accomodating me when I have multiple horses by allowing me to show jump or go XC out of order- which almost always happens. It makes for a very, very, very busy day and I will usually wind up going nonstop for 5 or 6 hours and I am exhausted for days after :winkgrin:.
Like another poster said, though, this is not something you want to do when you first start out eventing. But, once you are comfortable with the myriad of rules and timing of everything and can control your nerves, riding two at the same level is a blast :).

mackandblues
Jun. 20, 2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks so much for the advice. I won't be attempting to show two at the same event for awhile but was just curious if it was possible because I have 3 horses. but not sure who's going to like eventing yet....