PDA

View Full Version : fencing under power lines / near the well

wsmoak
Jun. 18, 2010, 02:15 PM
I have a power pole at the corner of an acre field I'm planning to fence off for the pony. The line comes down the driveway overhead about 250' to the pole, and then makes a right turn and goes another 250' overhead to the property line over to a pole on the neighbor's property. (It's underground from the pole to our house.)

Would you be concerned about power lines running over a pasture? I'm trying to decide where to put the fence. Current plan is to run it a few paces 'inside' of the overhead line. But if having it run over the pasture isn't a big deal, then I could stick on an extra rectangle of pasture and take advantage of a piece of high ground with trees.

Similarly, the two wells (one shallow, one deep) are at the edge of another open space. How close to them would you feel comfortable sinking fence posts and having horses turned out? Anything like water contamination to be concerned about?

Thanks,

deltawave
Jun. 18, 2010, 02:50 PM
We have a power pole located oh-so-conveniently at the edge of my one grass paddock--made a PERFECT anchor post for my fence! :yes: Ain't nothing budging that thing, hee hee.

No, I don't worry about power lines crossing over my pasture. The horses don't spend their nights out there, and in the event of storms they move to the barn away from where the wire crosses, and I keep them out of the pastures anyhow if bad weather is known to be coming.

Our well head is smack dab in the middle of my big pasture. It is marked with a flag and the horses ignore it. I wouldn't sink fence posts nearby without checking with the guys that dug the well or an expert local well service.

Guilherme
Jun. 18, 2010, 02:54 PM
I have a power pole at the corner of an acre field I'm planning to fence off for the pony. The line comes down the driveway overhead about 250' to the pole, and then makes a right turn and goes another 250' overhead to the property line over to a pole on the neighbor's property. (It's underground from the pole to our house.)

Would you be concerned about power lines running over a pasture? I'm trying to decide where to put the fence. Current plan is to run it a few paces 'inside' of the overhead line. But if having it run over the pasture isn't a big deal, then I could stick on an extra rectangle of pasture and take advantage of a piece of high ground with trees.

Similarly, the two wells (one shallow, one deep) are at the edge of another open space. How close to them would you feel comfortable sinking fence posts and having horses turned out? Anything like water contamination to be concerned about?

Thanks,

We have a major TVA power line over the farm and a number of fields. It has never been a factor in animal health (equine, bovine, caprine, etc.).

If the wells are going to be in the pasture then just fence them off (mostly to ensure no damage to the well equipment, wiring, etc.).

Of course I'll presume that you have no "runoff" issues and you don't get any surface water in the well when it rains. If you do then I'd consider "banking" the well house to stop that (whether or not you've got animals on adjacent lands).

G.

wsmoak
Jun. 19, 2010, 06:22 PM
Mr. Well Guy is coming out to replace the submersible pump on the deep well, so I'll double check what he recommends. No, we don't get surface water running into either one, and they'll be outside of any fences.

The power line is just the two cables for residential service, but there _is_ a distinct possibility of a tree falling on it. Still undecided about that one, I'll probably play it safe.

Deltawave, you used the power pole as a fence post? It would be just my luck that the power company would decide to move or replace it if I tried that!

Equibrit
Jun. 19, 2010, 07:27 PM
I have both power poles and a well enclosed in a pasture. The well has a concrete cover so horses don't bother it. The only thing I had to do for the poles was to put a section of fence where the support wires go in to the ground.
Other than that, no problems at all.

subk
Jun. 19, 2010, 08:27 PM
I have a well in the middle of one five acre paddock and a powerline with a pole in the other. No issue with the well. The pole has guide wires that we put a section of fence beside.

I also haven't been able to use that field since March because I'm waiting for the phone co (or maybe the electric co--depends on which one you talk too :rolleyes: ) to come finish the job started when we used that pole to pull underground utilities to the new house. So a little inconvenient but not really a big deal. I suspect once we get this solved it won't be a problem for another 30 years or so..

deltawave
Jun. 19, 2010, 08:29 PM
Deltawave, you used the power pole as a fence post? It would be just my luck that the power company would decide to move or replace it if I tried that!

Well, I waited until the inspector came and signed off on the job before I hooked up the fencing. :D This pole sends wires to our house and our house only, so unless we call them with problems it's unlikely they'd ever lay eyes on it again. ;)

msj
Jun. 19, 2010, 09:29 PM
My well is fenced in a triangle shaped area. I didn't want to lose any pasture so the perimeter fence went on one side and a panel each of post and rail fence went on the other2 sides. I fenced it like that so the horses do not do something stupid and run into it. :sigh: Also so they don't defecate directly on it although there are usually a couple piles of manure out side the triangle! I've been here 20 yrs and last had water tested in '05 and it's fine and the horses, dog and I haven't gotten sick so I guess it's OK. :)

A couple of yrs ago my well pump went and the well guys came out to put in a new well and didn't say a word about fence posts around my well, but then my well is 159' deep.

willowmeadow
Jun. 19, 2010, 11:10 PM
After having someone hit the pole in front of our house and break the lines that ran adjacent to the pasture, I will NEVER, EVER, have a pasture near power lines that run overhead again. The downed power line laid on the fence while I waited frantically 45 minutes for the power company to arrive and shut off the power. Had one of my horses touched the fence (farm fence) they would have be electrocuted. Thank goodness they were alright. I no longer keep livestock in that paddock.