PDA

View Full Version : Help replanning my barn!

Personal Champ
Jun. 18, 2010, 11:31 AM
Well, I am moving the horses back home and I need some help deciding how to best utilize my space!

I have a 10x30 shedrow barn - 2 stalls 10x10, and a utility area, also 10x10. The utility area was used as a feed/grooming/tack room/wash stall when I had the horses there last, which was kinda a pain in the rear.

Current stats - will have for sure 1, probably 2 horses, and 2 mini donkeys on 3.5+ acres of planted timothy for fields. Horses are out 24/7 with free access to stalls as sheds. I have a hay supplier that will store hay, so I do not need to store a year's worth. The last time they were there I had a crappy shed that I kept hay and shavings in, which is now gone.

Thoughts - I was thinking of using the utility area now for hay storage, shavings storage, grain storage, and sticking my tack cabinet in one corner - so just storage - no grooming stall/wash stall.

I don't bathe that often and was thinking of having hubby install a sturdy tie area on the side of the barn outside the pasture to bathe in, with screenings as footing to eliminate mud. Was also going to install cross ties or (most likely) tie rings in the stall so I can tie to groom.

An addition is not in the cards right now - eventually I would love to add on across the current structure to make a 3 stall barn with center aisle, feed stall, wash/grooming stall and a tack room, but that is quite down the road.

I just want to make sure I am not going to regret any changes I make - all opinions (and photos!) are welcome!

dmalbone
Jun. 18, 2010, 11:42 AM
A grooming/wash stall was the least of my concerns. I have not used one a single time in the 15 years I've had horses, even at barns where they were available. I prefer to bathe outside and groom in stalls. If I had the room, sure, I might have one just to see what they're all about. I have a "stall" area that is also my grain, shavings, and etc. storage and I can't imagine not having that!!! You need at least some out there, so if I understand correctly, you wouldn't have ANY room left for storage if you had it as a wash stall!? Sounds like an easy answer to me!

SmartAlex
Jun. 18, 2010, 11:47 AM
I use my grooming stall every day. But, before I had it, cross ties in the stalls were just fine. In fact, when I grew up, everything I owned was stored in the horse trailer, and we tied to the trailer to groom (I've since learned not to do that, and yes, a horse can pull a trailer ;))

We also have a hitching rail area, and I'm sure you would use an outside tie area. Pick up one of Cherry Hill's Horsekeeping books. There are a few different ones and editions, but all of them have good ideas of outdoor grooming areas.

bludejavu
Jun. 18, 2010, 12:20 PM
I think grooming/wash stalls are a lot like dressing rooms in horse trailers. If you've never had one, you don't know how handy they are to have. I do not have an indoor wash stall in my barn but I do keep one stall available as strictly a tacking up/grooming stall. It can be converted quickly back into a regular stall just by removing all my stuff, but I've never needed to do that. I have an outdoor concrete two horse washrack and wish now that we had only put in a pad for one wash rack - I never use the other side.

Personal Champ
Jun. 18, 2010, 12:55 PM
Those of you who have grooming/wash stalls get it - where I am currently at, I use the aisle crossties EVERY DAY, and the wash stall daily in the hot weather.

I know I need hay storage though, so am thinking that crossties in stalls/outdoor wash rack is probably the way to go.

dmalbone
Jun. 18, 2010, 01:01 PM
Those of you who have grooming/wash stalls get it

I've had grooming/wash stalls and no, I still don't get it. :) Let me edit that... I get why people like them, I do, and if I had an endless budget when we were building and didn't have to do a teeny barn, sure I would have thrown one in. The point is though that I HAD a grooming/wash stall for about 5 years and used it once. Figured out it was just easier to cross tie in the aisle or stall and wash outside. I don't like washing inside regardless. I would MUCH prefer and outdoor wash rack/tie/area.

You are right though,
I know I need hay storage though, so am thinking that crossties in stalls/outdoor wash rack is probably the way to go. . It really is a no-brainer with a small setup when you have to pick between storage and a wash rack.

Sing Mia Song
Jun. 18, 2010, 01:37 PM
I've got a set up similar to yours and I crosstie in the stall. I have an outdoor wash rack under construction--it's built, but we need to put stone and mats in for the floor.

For an outdoor wash rack, you want to sink four posts to create a square. We used pressure treated 6 x 6. Oure were 12 foot (I think) and we sank them 36 inches. My husband made a pergola for the top, basically just because he wanted to. ;)

Add boards to the back and sides to keep your horse from doing the cross-tie dance. You're basically making a three-sided pen.

For the base, you want to cut out the sod and level the ground, sink boards to frame the base, cover it with weed cloth, then backfill with stone and tamp it. Mats on top are up to your personal preference.

bdj
Jun. 18, 2010, 01:56 PM
My BO has an outdoor wash rack that I love - it's actually a concrete slab (maybe 10X10 or 12x12) that's fenced on all four sides (three boards) with a small (4', I think) gate at one corner. She has a single tie on one of the posts, but it works really well for my non-tying old guy because I can bring him in, shut the gate and then drape my lead over the rail - Min doesn't feel like he has to pull back and break things, because I haven't actually tied him to anything, but I know that he's securely confined.
In a perfect world, I'd probably want cross ties set up in there for me, but it works really well as it stands!

Personal Champ
Jun. 18, 2010, 02:28 PM
Hm...

Great ideas on the outdoor wash racks - hubby is a contractor and we have a dump trucka nd a backhoe, so the possibilities are endless...

Sing Mia Song, do you have a picture of yours so far?

Sing Mia Song
Jun. 21, 2010, 01:29 PM
I'll try to take one tonight. :)

ayrabz
Jun. 23, 2010, 10:16 AM
Sounds similar to my area size and property size....ours was adapted from an existing outbuilding...adding a run in to one end, and an outdoor washrack area just outside .... since this slideshow, we've just had the entire 'aisleway' area matted edge to edge in the nice interlocking mats!

http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/ayrabz/Farmette%20Completion%20Sep%2009/?albumview=slideshow

I'll use the aisleway for tacking/grooming and it will have a corner built in tack cab. and a counter/(maybe? cabinets beneath?) added under the window. The opening will eventually have double slider doors with windows on top, but for now thats the area of discussion in my other thread about 'horseflynets' that I'm going to hang a heavy duty UV screen for shade protection

hope the link works....

Sing Mia Song
Jul. 5, 2010, 01:07 PM
Okay, I finally got off my duff and took pictures of the washrack-in-progress. Never mind the unmowed grass and the crap in the base. ;)

Washrack (http://picasaweb.google.com/siobhan.delancey/Washrack?feat=directlink)

ReSomething
Jul. 5, 2010, 01:12 PM
Sing Mia Song, that wash rack is too nice. I'd be afraid to use it.

Brockstables
Jul. 5, 2010, 06:57 PM
If an addition is not in the budget, would an overhang off one end be? We have rubber mats under ours, and the horses use it as a hangout/run in but I have my crossties there for grooming. It has had rails added around it since we put it up, so I can put someone in there alone if necessary.

A friend of mine uses a small storage shed from Lowe's for storing hay/shavings but I think they get too humid inside.

Wish I could "replan" our barn... LOL

Sing Mia Song
Jul. 6, 2010, 05:49 PM
Sing Mia Song, that wash rack is too nice. I'd be afraid to use it.

Ha! I'm currently tying my horse to one of the posts to bathe him. Yesterday I was cleaning sheaths and my one beaver horse started to flip his lips at that oh-so-inviting 6x6 in front of him.

DH to horse: If you chew on that, you're glue.

Me to DH (jokingly): If you'd finish it, we wouldn't have this problem. :winkgrin: